Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:11 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post

And I've been to and stayed at the Del Coronado - what a dump!
the poster said "on the beach overlooking coronado"

Coronado is an island/peninsula. Del Coronado is a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 AM

11 posts, read 34,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
You misunderstand my post. It had nothing to do with the nobility of teaching or your qualifications to be a teacher.

My point is that EVERY job the in the city is professionalized, even ones that are comparatively low-level: just try getting a job as a doorman or look at the sanitation thread on this board. I work in the theater but sometimes work as temporary secretary. I have supported some extremely high-level executives and senior law partners at white-shoe firms. Even so, I once got turned down for a temp job because I "didn't have experience in entertainment law." This is an example of just how ludicrous this city can be. Never mind that the job was just answering the phone for a few days while someone was on vacation. That attorney could ask for very specific (and unnecessary) experience because this is New York and the are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of people with the exact qualifications sought.

When I lived in Minneapolis is was very easy to stumble into an interesting job. Employers were simply looking for smart people with a degree who were conscientious and reliable. New York is much more competitive and many (most?) people are overqualified for what they do. When I first moved to New York I applied for jobs in Web publishing (the same job I had in Minneapolis). I gave up (after six months) when I realized that I was competing with people who had computer science degrees from MIT or graphic design degrees for RISD. They were profoundly overqualified but were willing to take the jobs because they wanted to work in Manhattan. Considering my main focus was theater, I didn’t stand a chance. If you're looking for a job in jewelry design (an ultra hip and trendy field) you will be up against a similar problem.

In a city like Minneapolis it's possible to live an urban, middle- (or even upper-middle) class existence without trying very hard. You can work part-time and still live in a cool neighborhood in the middle of the city and have money left over to do other things. That's simply not possible in New York. Here it takes tremendous effort to be poor.
Tpk-nyc,

Thank you for your honest reply. Apologies for my previous post, I think I am too used to comments about child-care, clearly! It wears thin after a while, as I am sure you realised.

You have made some excellent points, which I have taken on board. It is very helpful to get the point of view of someone who had 'been there and done that' and your post has given me better insight into the difficulties/competition I could face in the jobs I mentioned. This is exactally why I posted the thread, and I appreciate that you replied and clarified the point I didnt grasp in the first post.

You have had stuggles yourself from your post, ones which I could expect as well, so I guess my next question is: Are you happy with what you are doing even after the struggle?

With regard to living outside of Manhattan, I am more that open to advice, my interest in Manhattan was only to be near family, and support during the big move, not a refusal of any other area.

Thanks again for clarifying your point.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 AM

11 posts, read 34,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
If you read between the lines of the original poster, it's clear that money is not that much of a concern. I sense she comes from means and has some sort of funding, whether it be parents and/or a trust.

In that case, welcome home to Manhattan. You'll fit right in.
Hey, if only, then making ends meet would be the least of my worries.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:47 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Funny you should say that. I had a friend, based in Strasbourg, France. He was offered a job (HUGE opportunity) in the San Diego area. He turned it down. Why? Because he felt that the lack of cultural opportunities was so acute there that he and his family would be miserable. Weather isn't everything. Not everyone likes the beach. I'd rather swallow shards of glass than go to the beach.

And I've been to and stayed at the Del Coronado - what a dump!
You can say pretty much the same thing about arts, theaters, and so called "culture' as well. Plenty of people would rather swallow shards of glass or go to the beach rather than the opera or some art show.

I think the OP just needs to figure out what type of atmosphere they prefer more; cosmopolitan city living or laid back, outdoor type living then the choice should be obvious.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:20 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
the poster said "on the beach overlooking coronado"

Coronado is an island/peninsula. Del Coronado is a hotel.
Yes, I know.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:24 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
Ughh... there is one person that wants to stir the pot--can I just say "glass 1/2 empty". (rolling my eyes)...Good luck to the original poster....you just have gel with your environment!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Yes, I know.

Oh, sorry, by your comment it sounded like you thought the poster was talking about the hotel not the body of land.

I've never been there, so maybe both are dumps.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:55 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
The Del Coronado, where they filmed the Florida sequence of 'Some Like it Hot,' is on Coronado Island. Coronado Island is OK, I guess, but really nothing special, except that it's hard to get to from the rest of San Diego. The hotel is, however, not worth the trip. They 'modernized' the rooms a few years ago, but they're still minute in size. At least they put in A/C where they used to only have ceiling fans!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:58 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
DISCLAIMER: This is a post for the so-called "Dreamers" on this board, i.e., the young, well-educated, creative types who dream of making a life in or close to Manhattan. I am perfectly aware that there are other (non-Manhattan-centric) ways of living in the city and this is not intended to disparage those lifestyles.

There's a old cliché: "If you have to ask the price of something, you can't afford it." My cynical side thinks it also applies to living in New York: "If you have to ask 'Should I move to New York?,' you probably shouldn't." Why? Because living in New York requires so many sacrifices, both financial and otherwise, that, unless you receive some unquantifiable emotional or career benefit to offset the costs, it's not really worth it.

If you're interested in having a fulfilling, middle-class, urban life: buying an apartment in a cool neighborhood with lots of restaurants and other amenities, close to convenient public transportation, having a few kids and giving them a good education, finding a career that is creative but not all-consuming, have some money for travel and savings, etc., New York is not the place for you. I would recommend Minneapolis or Portland.

Personally, the only thing that would make me more miserable than living in New York is NOT living in New York. It's an unfortunate double-bind, but I'm simply not happy anywhere else (I've also lived/worked in Boston, Honolulu, Minneapolis, Seattle, San Francisco and D.C. so I have some perspective on other cities). The only reason to live in New York is because you REALLY want to live in New York.

By the standards of people outside of New York, I have been extremely successful (my work is being produced and favorably reviewed in the New York Times, etc.). Yet, there's an (admittedly unrealistic, if not delusional) part of me that feels that I won't be successful until I can live alone in a one-bedroom in central Manhattan close to the subway. I could do that in Minneapolis for around $700 a month. In New York it would be closer to $3,000+. Just to put this in perspective, you need to make $120,000 a year (i.e., the salary of a first-year law associate at a top-flight firm who probably has a degree from Yale or Harvard or other top law school) to afford a $3,000 a month apartment.

There are days when I wake up in the morning and think to myself, "Why am I 35 and still living like a college student (with a roommate who sleeps on a futon in the living room)?" On the other hand, there are days when I wake up and think to myself, "I live in %#*$-ing New York City!" The value of those mornings: Priceless.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:00 PM

629 posts, read 901,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic3 View Post
Hi,

Looking for ideas! I have been mulling over options of where to live, and I just dont know enough to make a decision without advice. Any help is welcomed...

I am a teacher (3 years experience) although I am looking to turn my hobbies into work if possible (floristry/jewellery). I would do some teaching/tutoring work if need be to get by, but I am really looking to persue other options eventually.

I am really lucky to have a sister who lives in NYC and a best friend who lives just outside San Diego, this is why these two cities are my options as I can stay with them while looking for work/apartment.

I love, love, love warm weather, a major pull to SD, but equally love cultural activities, museums etc. I really like the idea of a community 'village' feel, where you can have your 'area' in the big city, and you do get to know people. Does anyone know if this is the case in SD and NYC? Im not sure if I can cope with the constant hustle and bustle, rush, rush, rush of NYC, but can you 'opt out' or is this level of work/stress an atmosphere rather than a personal state of mind? NYC seems so amazing.

I have heard (please dont take offense anyone!) that people in SD can be a bit flaky, but how are New Yorkers? My sister adores NYC, and my friend outside of SD said she would never move anywhere else. I think they both sound great places, which makes this decision all the more difficult! Could anyone shed some light on less obvious differences I may need to consider?

Thanks!!

P.S. I know both are expensive to live, especially as I would look in Manhattan/Pacific Beach in an ideal world. These places are where my sister/friend lives near, and I would like to be part of the action (but with a place to live on a quiet street to lay my head)!

San Diego and NYC, are on completly different 'ends of the spectrum'. Comparing NYC to Chicago, or San Diego to San Fran would be alot easier. Your question, is like asking whether you should move to Seattle or Miami. I suggest, you sit down, and jot the pros and cons of each city. Then make your decision. The lifestlyes of each city are so different, it's going to come down to what YOU like. I could see how someone could get bored of San Diego (the weather alone could get boring), but I can also see how someone could get tired of NYC (besides the expense, the constant hustle and bustle, the crowds,etc.) And don't forget, what you like today, maybe be different 10 yrs from now. Everbody's 'wants' and 'needs' change as they age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City