Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,635,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Honestly I have no idea if WH and the Bronx are gay friendly or not, but I will say that your logic (hispanic families won't accept gays) doesn't hold true in Jackson Heights, which is heavily hispanic and also heavily gay. How do you explain that one?
Washington Heights and the Bronx house mostly lower-income Hispanics. Jackson Heights has a LARGE contingent of professional, middle income Hispanics, many of which are young, gay males. Also, Jackson Heights is NOT overwhelmingly Hispanic (and the Hispanics tend to be from a variety of countries, instead of just from Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico), as it is a very diverse neighborhood. These demographic difference are pretty key to understanding why gays/lesbians feel more comfortable in Jackson Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,024,275 times
Here's a link that might help OP
"NY1 celebrates Gay Pride Month by looking at LBGT-friendly communities across the five boroughs. "

Mentioned areas are Chelsea, West Village, Hells Kitchen, Jackson Heights, Park Slope, the Bronx, and Staten Island.

NY1 | 24 Hour Local News | Top Stories | NY1 Reports: Gay Pride Week

Old 10-01-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Washington Heights and the Bronx house mostly lower-income Hispanics. Jackson Heights has a LARGE contingent of professional, middle income Hispanics, many of which are young, gay males. Also, Jackson Heights is NOT overwhelmingly Hispanic (and the Hispanics tend to be from a variety of countries, instead of just from Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico), as it is a very diverse neighborhood. These demographic difference are pretty key to understanding why gays/lesbians feel more comfortable in Jackson Heights.
Actually, I said heavily hispanic, not overwhelmingly hispanic. I believe that holds true. 75% of the conversations I hear during weekday afternoons on the sidewalks and in stores in JH are in Spanish. That percentage does shift at 6pm weekdays and on weekends when the professionals who work in Manhattan return home, but still, I stand by my word choice.

But the gist of what you are saying makes sense in the context of this thread and I am not disagreeing with that.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:48 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,989,644 times
Yeah, Jackson Heights is more diverse. You have different hispanic groups, you have many asians, a good number of whites etc....also the income there is much higher.

In Washington Heights and in most Bronx neighborhoods, the hispanic population is 70-80%. And that's really all you see. The last 20-30% is blacks. The poverty rate is much higher in the above neighborhoods too. For example, all my life here I have never seen a gay couple. And most of the people I run into disagree with that lifestyle.

Im sure if I go to the Village, I would see more gays in one day than I've seen in my entire life in the Bronx. They also either live the gay lifestyle, or if not gay, have become tolerant to it.

If we're going to recommend the Heights and the Bronx...then whats stopping us from recommending East NY and Brownsville?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

If we're going to recommend the Heights and the Bronx...then whats stopping us from recommending East NY and Brownsville?
Well, the NY Times hasn't written an article about gays moving to Brownsville yet like they did for the Bronx, so I guess we should hold off on that recommendation til the NY Times says so.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 PM

BTW Jackson Heights is 57.3% Hispanic.....it doesnt come close.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, the NY Times hasn't written an article about gays moving to Brownsville yet like they did for the Bronx, so I guess we should hold off on that recommendation til the NY Times says so.
I would guess in areas like Bushwick and Bed-Stuy, there are a handful of gays. Just because many hipsters tend to be gay.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:56 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,164,722 times
I think the city overall is pretty accepting of gay people. Maybe some neighborhoods are more accepting than others. But NYC is gay-friendly for the most part.

I see gay couples all over the Bronx. Mostly lesbians. I see different Lesbian couples at least 2 or three times a week in Fordham.

Neighborhoods where one ethnic group tends to dominate heavily probably are not the most accepting. Hence why a JH, would probably be more welcoming than a WH. But Washington Heights can be diverse. The strips along Riverside and Fort Wash, are like another world.

But I'd gather that JH in the 80's or early 90's when it was more heavily Colombian would be about as gay-friendly as Wash Heights is now.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 10-01-2008 at 11:06 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 11:00 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,262,134 times
Yes, but remember what works for a couple, in a transitional neighborhood, does not necessarily work for a family.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,164,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
There are probably more middle class people in JH. But its probably a lot closer than you realize. WH has had middle class people in Riverside and Fort Wash for years, and last time I checked the going rents in these neighborhoods are pretty similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City