Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,344 times

Advertisements

Hello

My name is Steffan I'm hopefully moving to New York next summer to finish up High School.

Though I wanna do it my one way (not a company that just makes you a number..) so I have contacted a few schools and they all welcomed me and said: yeah you got the marks to start here and so on.

Money isn't an issue either but then it hit me.

How about visa? if I get into a school will that just be a walk down the block or do I have to fight like an insane?

I'm turning 18 approx 4 months after I've moved to New York

thanks in advance
Steffan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
You're going to have a problem. You can't do this on a tourist visa! Inquire at the US Consulate in Stockholm.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan22 View Post
Hello

My name is Steffan I'm hopefully moving to New York next summer to finish up High School.

Though I wanna do it my one way (not a company that just makes you a number..) so I have contacted a few schools and they all welcomed me and said: yeah you got the marks to start here and so on.

Money isn't an issue either but then it hit me.

How about visa? if I get into a school will that just be a walk down the block or do I have to fight like an insane?

I'm turning 18 approx 4 months after I've moved to New York

thanks in advance
Steffan
money isn't an issue, huh? guess you're one of these trust fund guys, AceRock always talks about. You'll need a visa and from your post, also a good orientation to what NYC is all about before boarding the Queen Mary.

If you really wanna come, good luck.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,344 times
Sorry I din't meant to sound arrogant.

I perhaps should had written money isn't the issue. I have made a budget and I came out with a positive result. I just wrote it to avoid comments like "do you think you can afford it" etc.

But thanks you guys I'll talk with the embassy tomorrow.
Steffan

Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan22 View Post
...if I get into a school will that just be a walk down the block or do I have to fight like an insane?
Not quite sure what this means. What school you want to go to and where you will live are two different issues. While some colleges have dorms, I don't think any high schools do. Obviously, housing is an issue here. I don't really have any experience with temporary housing. The school may have some guidance. You may be able to find a share on Craigslist.

You should have a great time here. Lots to see and do. My one piece of advice is that summer in NYC can be hot and humid, so be expecting that.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:31 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
I'm confused -- you plan to finish *high school* here? Are you aware of the quality of most NYC high schools? What schools are you talking to that say your grades are adequate? Surely not one of the highly-competitive schools, which require admissions exams.

Be advised that, city-wide, the average on-time graduation rate is somewhere around 50% and, quite frankly, there are numerous problems with the entire system.

And, yes, then there's housing, which is an entirely different issue.

If you want to come to New York for school, I'd suggest waiting until you're ready for college. You'll have many more and better options at that point.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:39 AM

47 posts, read 163,283 times
NYC schools are horrible in comparison to Swedish schools. You will get a much better education at home. If you want to travel you'd be better off studying in London or Prague to have the big city lifestyle and still get a quality European education.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 AM

10 posts, read 40,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iztel View Post
NYC schools are horrible in comparison to Swedish schools. You will get a much better education at home. If you want to travel you'd be better off studying in London or Prague to have the big city lifestyle and still get a quality European education.
Or Berlin for that matter! Totally agree with this poster because Ive seen the products of NYC High Schools and attened both an American and European High School.

Get your education in Europe and then come over! You will be very glad that you did.

Another thing... how can he get an visa for HS without the aide of an exchange organization seeing as he will still be a minor when he arrives?

There are some really great exchange organizations out there such as AFS or YFU, even Rotary. I would check with them. Im really curious as to why the poster doesnt go this route? They do all the leg work and it would be much cheaper than paying for everything especially with the high NYC rents yourself.

I realize he said money wasn't an issue but dealing with all the immigration, if its even possible at 17 to get a visa to come here alone would be well worth the money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City