Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:53 AM

9,933 posts, read 14,286,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Hello,

A friendly Northern NJ neighbor wonders what you guys in NYC think of this.

Personally, I like Bloomberg... I think he could be good for the city. But the voters have spoken on term limits, twice...

What do those in NYC think?
I think Bloomberg is an excellent mayor, and is doing a spectacular job. He is a businessman, but is also well-suited for the role of mayor. If he can get elected for a third term, so be it. NYC needs his leadership from 2010 until 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 12:36 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,621,015 times
^^^ The question shouldn't be whether or not Bloomberg is doing a good job, and that should qualify him for a thrid term, but rather, shjould he do the citizens a diservice by using to City Counsel to over turn an issue that voters vehemently support: That no public service member should not be able to serve a third consecutive term. Like one person stated, there are over 8 million people in this city, there is bound to be somebody who can fill his shoes.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:42 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,929,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
When did I compare Bush to Bloomberg? I simply stated that no politician should get a third term, no matter how popular, or unpopular they are. This is nothing more of a power grab for Bloomberg. To me, it seems that he is putting his image and legacy before the needs of New Yorkers. If he wants a thrid term, let the people decided. I'm sure over 60% will vote NO!
We really should never use the name BUSH and the name BLOOMBERG in the same post! lol

Old 10-03-2008, 12:46 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,929,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
^^^ The question shouldn't be whether or not Bloomberg is doing a good job, and that should qualify him for a thrid term, but rather, shjould he do the citizens a diservice by using to City Counsel to over turn an issue that voters vehemently support: That no public service member should not be able to serve a third consecutive term. Like one person stated, there are over 8 million people in this city, there is bound to be somebody who can fill his shoes.
One would hope so... but based on the quality of leadership I see for all positions - from corporate to local government to top of the land - lately, I do think if you have something good, maybe you should stick with it...

I think this one is a tough call.

My theory - let him move to Jersey and run for governor. Mike - if you are reading - I'm your first volunteer!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:55 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,600,609 times
While I am a huge believer in democracy, NY is in a potentally dangerous spot.

1) Our economy is in shambles

2) Crime indicies are beginning to sound alarms

3) Many intracable problems like race relations, failing schools, old infastructure, immigrant assilimlation, labor realtions, etc start to become more compounded during bad times.

The other side is we have to look at what's out there, and basically the choices are Union Hacks (Green, Weingarden, Quinn) who will end up crushing the city budget much like Beame/Lindsay in the 70s, or "Social Justice" wackjobs like Barrone who will be set on running the "gentry" (along with any other remaining Whites) out of the city with pitchforks to appease the UWS liberals/Welfare hordes, while allowing the city to rot and welfare to expand.

What we'll hear is how the city needs to elect a flaming liberal to counter-balance the "facism" of Rudy-Bloomy and all the fresh-faced white kids will fall for it. And then we'll be back to 1980s NYC...

Old 10-04-2008, 06:01 PM

15,524 posts, read 15,526,715 times
I disaprove of term limits, because if someone is great at the job, any job, why shouldn't he stay?

However, I disapprove even more of people trying to change laws in order to benefit themselves.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Riv

236 posts, read 603,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
While I am a huge believer in democracy, NY is in a potentally dangerous spot.

1) Our economy is in shambles

2) Crime indicies are beginning to sound alarms

3) Many intracable problems like race relations, failing schools, old infastructure, immigrant assilimlation, labor realtions, etc start to become more compounded during bad times.

The other side is we have to look at what's out there, and basically the choices are Union Hacks (Green, Weingarden, Quinn) who will end up crushing the city budget much like Beame/Lindsay in the 70s, or "Social Justice" wackjobs like Barrone who will be set on running the "gentry" (along with any other remaining Whites) out of the city with pitchforks to appease the UWS liberals/Welfare hordes, while allowing the city to rot and welfare to expand.

What we'll hear is how the city needs to elect a flaming liberal to counter-balance the "facism" of Rudy-Bloomy and all the fresh-faced white kids will fall for it. And then we'll be back to 1980s NYC...
No.

Bloomberg will spend 200 million, the very well paid off media will "overlook" his incompetence and NY will have another four years of "Bloomy".

Old 10-04-2008, 11:54 PM

185 posts, read 750,893 times
It all depends on the other candidates, but I will be likely not voting for Bloomberg unless the others are much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: