U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:53 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,445,276 times

Advertisements

Hello,

A friendly Northern NJ neighbor wonders what you guys in NYC think of this.

Personally, I like Bloomberg... I think he could be good for the city. But the voters have spoken on term limits, twice...

What do those in NYC think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 PM

731 posts, read 1,974,885 times
The best thing I liked about Bloomberg is the reforms in the school system. Here in the Bronx, most of our big high schools have been broken up into small schools where students are in smaller classes (meaning more individual attention from staff). Also, we have charter schools settling into the Southwest Bronx (primarily in Mott Haven, Morrisania, Hunts Point, and Highbridge) where there are longer school days, smaller class sizes, and a more rigid curriculum, with higher expectations.

This all results in more school pride for students as well as higher grades and achievement.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:06 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,404,076 times
I support term-limits, no matter how well a politician does. Can anymore image if Bush could get a third shot? Besides, I believe in a third term "jinx". Just ask Kotch what he thinks of a third term.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,242,061 times
help me figure this one since I'm not too smart:

"I believe in term limits once I can extend them anytime."

Is this the same as no term limits?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:44 PM

71 posts, read 727,744 times
Are you implying that Bush did a good job? -_- Comparing Bush to Bloomberg is an insult. Not only has Bloomberg gained the necessary experience and succeeded in improving our political system, he also is an entreprenuer and one of the world's most successful finance experts that other experts turn to. It's obvious that with the current economic crisis that we are in now it would be a tremendous benefit for nyc to have someone like him. After all, we all know he's not doing it to get rich, his annual salary from the city is $1.00. =P

Old 10-02-2008, 11:43 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,404,076 times
When did I compare Bush to Bloomberg? I simply stated that no politician should get a third term, no matter how popular, or unpopular they are. This is nothing more of a power grab for Bloomberg. To me, it seems that he is putting his image and legacy before the needs of New Yorkers. If he wants a thrid term, let the people decided. I'm sure over 60% will vote NO!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Riv

236 posts, read 585,021 times
Why do the streets smell of garbage?

Doesn't Bloomberg care about a huge influx of mice, rats, roaches?

Why is Bloomberg pushing this stupid recycling?

Dump Bloomberg.

Last edited by Riv; 10-03-2008 at 02:04 AM..

Old 10-03-2008, 06:29 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,883,374 times
I think it's great. A mayor who does this job for $1 a year and is not in it for his own aggrandizement. I'd vote for him again in a flash.

And if you think the garbage is bad now, I guess you don't remember the nonsense that went on during Dinkins' four misguided years.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:42 AM

274 posts, read 1,074,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I think it's great. A mayor who does this job for $1 a year and is not in it for his own aggrandizement.
That's delusional. Nothing could be further from the truth.

So what if he's rich enough to not need a mayoral salary? He's in the mayor's office SOLELY for his own aggrandizement.

Why else did he spend $100,000,000 to get elected?

Why else is he seeking to PERVERT democracy and turn the city into his perpetual MONARCHY?

EGO.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:54 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,242,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
That's delusional. Nothing could be further from the truth.

So what if he's rich enough to not need a mayoral salary? He's in the mayor's office SOLELY for his own aggrandizement.

Why else did he spend $100,000,000 to get elected?

Why else is he seeking to PERVERT democracy and turn the city into his perpetual MONARCHY?

EGO.

It's the height of arrogance, egotism, and self-delusional grandeur for any elected official in any jurisdiction in the USA to feel that he or she is indspensable to the functioning of that entity.

Regardless of how successful one has been in office, the will of the people must not be thwarted. In a city of eight million, do we suffer from such a paucity of qualified technocrats that we must extend the services of someone lest we all perish?

The matter of compensation is irrelevant. It's the idea that someone can feel that he is a messiah sent to save the poor souls of our city and thus can perpetuate his own glory at the expense of democratic norms that is appalling. Such a maneuver, unfortunately, can only serve to blemish the record of what has largely been a successful tenure in office.

Please, Mr. Mayor, we the citizens of NYC thank you for your good accomplishments. We also admire your keen business acumen and expertise. We do not envy your wealth or your personal achievemnts. That's what America is all about.

America, however, is also about honoring the wishes of the electorate.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 10-03-2008 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: