Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,232 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a studio or one bedroom apartment in New York somewhere. I currently work in downtown Manhattan. Does anyone have any recommendations for someplace that is relatively close by subway but where I could find an apartment for around $1000 in New York? Right now Jersey City looks like pretty much the only option. I used to live in Williamsburg and Bushwick, but it seems like the one bedroom apartments there are way too expensive now.

I'm looking for someplace not super, super dangerous and I prefer someplace with decent nightlife if possible.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 08:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
A friend recently got a $950 one bedroom in Sunnyside Queens, right near the 40th St. stop on the 7 train. Nice safe neighborhood with good restaurants and some bars, but she says her apartment has no light and there are roaches in her kitchen cabinets. She paid a 15% (of the yearly rent) brokers fee to get it only about 6 months ago but seems to already want to move.

Guess you get what you pay for.

I really can't think of any neighborhoods that fit your description, though there are certainly safe neighborhoods where you can get a basement "walk-in" apartment for $1000/month. Probably not going to be the most interesting neighborhood, though, and probably not going to have decent nightlife.

Some neighborhoods in Queens that might have apts in this range are Ridgewood, Corona, East Elmhurst. Further from the subway you could look in more residential neighborhoods such as Middle Village and Maspeth, but you will not necessarily have good subway access.

In Brooklyn you could try Prospect Lefferts Gardens but they may try to sell you on something that is not legitimately in that neighborhood and instead is in East Flatbush, etc.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:26 PM

Also, the Bronx may be your best bet. Someone else will have to help you with Bronx areas.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I would suggest the Bronx, but parts that are decent might not have a big nightlife scene. Places like Parkchester (the complex, not the surrounding area), Kingsbridge (west of Broadway, above 231st), and Riverdale (250s on Broadway) would fit the bill, though in Kingsbridge and Riverdale, you might have to hunt to meet the budget, but it can be done for a 1BR.

I suggest the Broadway section of Riverdale as it's closest to the subway, with much of the rest of the area separated from the subway, but there is a bus that links with Spuyten Duyvil, Central Riverdale, and North Riverdale by Mount Saint Vincent. This is the 1 line, however, and it's not an express, so it can be a long trip to some points in Manhattan.

All of the areas, Parkchester, Kingsbridge, and Riverdale also have express bus service to Manhattan, the BxM routes, which can be good for returning late at night. There is some nightlife in all of these areas, don't get me wrong, but it's a quiet restaurant/pub scene for the most part, not the club scene and the like.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:00 PM

Also try this thread
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-canal-st.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City