Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslinsky View Post
I'm considering buying an apartment in Flatbush right near the new Target in the Brooklyn Junction. I don't know the area well as I live in Astoria, Queens right now. But Flatbush is one of the last affordable areas to buy in NY. My broker keeps telling me that its the next up and coming neighborhood and to buy it as the real estate will only go up. Does anyone live near there and can tell me how it is? Is it a safe area? Are there any places where I can hang out in the neighborhood or would I have to go up to Park Slope, Williamsburg? Just FYI, I'm asian, female, live alone, 27 and commute to Manhattan for work. Thanks for your help.
Well miss, It is a busy center mostly 24hours a day as it is in the Brooklyn College area so during the daytime you pretty safe. At night however, alot of the area around the junction can become a problem as far as muggings (Some shootings). Like another poster said, its not The Junction ITSELF, as it is there areas that surround it. There some cheaper places here but I dont know what you are used to. Since you say Astoria which is a pretty nice place you might not like it because it is overcrowed during the daytime and then theres the nighttime problems. But you have an easy commute in that area (to places like Park Slope) other parts of the borough where you can hang out. If I were you I would walk around there a few times to get a feel for it. See for yourself the differences from Astoria and decide then. But I dont believe you will have a problem.

By the way, I grew up around Flatbush as I live in the Ditmas Park area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM

113 posts, read 226,052 times
I went to Midwood HS 2 blocks away. That area is primarily West Indian (Jamaicans, trinidadians, haitians), particularly to the north and west. Frankly I find it pretty bland- you won't really be near any good restaurants, cool shopping, or anyone your age. Lots of foot locker type stores, nostrand to the east is a bunch of car lots, to the south you've got Brooklyn college. As far as safety is concerned, I'd say it depends on what you're used to. I got robbed once going into the train station when i was in HS, but that was 10 yrs ago, I'm sure it has probably gotten better as more people seek affordable housing from other parts of the city. I would recommend it if you were someone who doesn't mind taking the train for work or social life, b/c there's not much to do around there. But if you can trade a commute for saving a ton of money, go for it. Same time, I can assure you Astoria has more amenities. I haven't looked at RE prices in BK for awhile, but n'hoods of similar reputation might offer alittle more in terms of location and amenities depending on what you're into- personally, if I could find comparable prices I'd go to sunset park, bay ridge, Kensington, Midwood before I looked in the junction area.

Even if you have your mind set on flatbush you can find areas of flatbush that offer alot more conveniences than that area- coming to mind the area around cortelyou road between coney island ave up to about east 18th street (plenty of new retaurants/coffee shops popping up. Also, the area around the Church ave. F stop is probably safer than the junction although it will have the same lack of restaurants/nightlife. Hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 14,537 times
Unless you are Caribbean you will not have an easy time there. I live not far from there and it saddens me how what was once a very nice area is no turning into crap. I was born and have lived there over 50 years. If you don't mind not getting any sleep because your inconsiderate neighbors will be blasting Carribean music out in the streets ALL NIGHT LONG on EVERY weekend (ha, don't try to ask them to turn it down, they just get very nasty even though they are at fault), then by all means move to Junction area. If you don't mind having to look over your shoulder if you come home at night, with a 50/50 chance you will make it to your apartment bldg safely, then by all mean move to that area. The safest place to be in would be Target because there you be among people who have come from Mill Basin and Marine Park & Sheepshead Bay to shop there. Just don't go in there at 2:30 when the hordes of school boys run in there to play the video games in the elctronic section, or to try and get 'five finger discounts' whenever they can. The demographics have changed drastically over the years and unfortunately the change was not for the better. Flatbush is the new Newark.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 11,768 times
I live exactly on the junction and although mostly everything coldblooded36 said is true I think Carmabelle is a being a little hostile. The neighborhood was once nice probably before I was born and terrible in the 80s and 90s when I was a little girl. I think that you can say that for many places in nyc. I have seen many robberies, 1 or 2 shootings and even heard of a couple of rapings where I work on 85 and Lexington. So I think anywhere you live you must be careful and wise as a young woman living alone. Your broker is right the area is up and coming and will not be affordable at all in the next 5 to 10 years. It is the prime area for mass transit so if your not addicted to a car you will love it here (no parking sucks). It basically businesses as stated above and no entertainment yet, but who cares when you have the 2,5 train all the command buses to take you into the city and the b41 take you downtown Brooklyn and 3 to 4 other bus lines. Noise is an issues because it is a busy area and people have no respect for residences. But if you are buying an apartment in the back of target it will be very peaceful and quiet. I think you will be fine if you don’t mind not really having anywhere to hang out in the area, that bothers me also. But what sucks the most is not having any good restaurants its fast food central. Stay away from Nostrand avenue going towards farragut ave there’s nothing really over there and that small block is the crime ridden area of the entire junction. But feel free to venture anywhere else in the area. There are really nice homes going towards ocean ave and also straight down Glenwood road. The junction itself is dirty with all the business and people that come through daily they need to do a better job at maintaining the garbage. But for the most part if the apartment your looking at is affordable the building is nice inside and out. Its quiet when you check out the apartment those are the things too look for. You will not be spending most of your time at target or on flatbush avenue. Just imagine living a block away from Queens center mall and I think that’s a good comparison to what the junction will be like. The area is good for single people, sucks for families for the lack of resources. But don’t be afraid of us west indians we have a lot to offer and those of us with properties and careers are trying to build back the area, we are slowly getting there.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:51 AM

13 posts, read 53,359 times
Well, I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but I've lived in Flatbush and Midwood for over 20 years and I'm Asian. If you are a young asian women you ought to stay to the WEST of Flatbush avenue and SOUTH of the train tracks on Avenue H. Most of that area is technically Midwood.

The area between Foster Ave and Avenue H is so-so and is in Flatbush proper, you could take a gamble there, but there are a LOT of ghetto thug types in the apartment buildings on Ocean. However, it's mostly upper middle class blacks in the houses (which are gorgeous victorian houses).

The triangular area south of Avenue H and between Nostrand Avenue and Flatbush Avenue (I lived in this area until I was 5) is rapidly changing (mostly Jewish coming in), according to the NY Times it is part of Midwood, though when I was growing up it was considered part of Flatbush, and it is much safer now than when I lived there. A couple Jewish guys have bought up all the property along Nostrand Ave between H and K and are turning it into multistory commercial and residential buildings.

The area south of Avenue H and west of Nostrand Avenue is perfectly fine for a young asian women who commutes to Manhattan, but it is part of Midwood. I did the midwood manhattan commute for four years of high school. It's a bit of a PITA if you hate commuting, about 35-45 minutes by 2/5/Q to lower Manhattan and closer to an hour for Midtown.

Just stick to buying south of Avenue H and West of Flatbush and you'll be fine.

For entertainment, fine dining, etc.. you'll have to go take the train to Park Slope or Sheepshead Bay (both about 20 minutes away in opposite directions from Midwood)

Old 02-21-2010, 03:15 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Very good point. To many brokers, the next "up and coming" area is the one in which they have a listing to sell.
In Chicago, up and coming USUALLY means- rough area, a few rehabs, therefore it's "up and coming". At least that's what the Agents tell you. I've known several people that have fallen for that in Chicago. 100% of them regret the purchase. The up and coming.......never came.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 11,126 times
Post Comfortable living for young urban professional

Although the junction is not the Williamsburg,Park Slope or Lefferts Garden area there are many amenities that will soon transform the face of the area. Brooklyn College attracting more and more out of town students will undoubtedly alter the fabric of a once completely residential demographic. The commute is 45 mins. to midtown and 30 to lower manhattan. Easy ride to union square on the 5 train. There is potential as developers are responding to the changing demographic by catering to the new residents and hopefully attracting new residents ie. Target ,AJ Wright, Starbucks. I personally will be blogging about the areas surrounding the Brooklyn College area to let people in on the gems of the Juniction and the East Flatbush homes being rented. I would certainly say the area is safe enough, I live near by 24 single in a house. Happy Hunting

Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
My mother lives in the Junction neighborhood. I lived there with my mother for a minute.

Junction pro.....
1. Well-maintained coop buildings
2. Public transportation, 2,5
3. Target, Brooklyn College

Junction con....
1. Flatbush/Nostrand Avs can bee a bit seedy at night
2. Coop boards very tough!
3. Heavy traffic along Flatbush/Nostrand during daytime

Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 8,868 times
I live in the Junction-- I'm White, 42YO, professional, and my partner is Black, 32YO professional. Most of our neighbors are west Indian and everyone is friendly and we feel safe. Every now and then I'll hear a sister remark that "the Junction is CHANGIN'" when I walk past, but I just smile and nod agreement. I agree that the area is working to have more amenities, but if you want to hit a good bar, I suggest heading to one of the neighborhoods these other folks have suggested-- I LOVE living in the Junction and I don't want to be anywhere else.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 8,090 times
I'm just curious to know what your decision was. If this was a recent post I would've told you HELL NO, DON'T DO IT! Although it depends on your standards and sensitivities. It's DIRTY and criminals are on the move. The Target there is a real slum one. The shelves are usually next to bare and are unkempt. They don't shovel the train station and bus stop promptly (if at all)......................... I certainly would've BUY any real estate there. The broker was clearly just trying to MAKE THAT SALE. Also, just a tip. I don't know what your circumstances are these days, but the next time you find yourself using a broker please know that everyone who claims to be one ISN"T! When you encounter them request to see there state ID. The same goes for an agent. It's the law that they should carry it and ready for inspection (viewing upon request). If they don't have it or say they do and won't present it, RUN! Another thing, any agent who requests a broker's fee from you is a crook. In New York State, agents are NOT allowed to accept payment outside the presence of the BROKER and remember, make sure the broker is a broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City