U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 11:50 AM

791 posts, read 1,300,423 times

Advertisements

I've been going there for years.

But lately, it seems to have become a cruising ground. Don't get me wrong - I'm a live-and-let-live kinda guy. I lived in San Fran for years.

Now, I'm finding empty vials of "poppers", seeing dudes slinking around giving me Significant Looks, and some fella actually approached me and started trying to touch me, etc. I go there to see birds, not some dudes "bird."

It wouldn't hurt to see some park rangers or cops around. Not that anyone needs to be arrested, it'd just be nice to see those guys go someplace else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 12:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 29,874,924 times
Default I live across the street...

from the park; in fact I'm in there every day biking and i've never noticed anything like that. My only interaction is my helping a man and his son from yonkers find their way out of the park as they lost their way

I would like to go on the John Muir nature trail in the park which runs from Riverdale to Woodlawn but I'd never go on it myself.

I've been looking for a bike trail listed on the VC map which is supposed to run from the staircase at the Major Deegan to E 223 street in Woodlawn but I have not been able to find it

i always avoid the isolated areas of the park

Old 08-31-2011, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,187 times
Wild Card Steve, I live across from the park and frequently walk the track and nature trails. Cruising is confined to a very tiny section of the park near the golf course parking lot. In fact, unless you're out looking for some action, you won't notice it at all.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:30 AM

4,940 posts, read 7,383,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken845 View Post
In fact, unless you're out looking for some action, you won't notice it at all.
Looks like WildCardSteve has some esplainin to do...

Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 AM

8,749 posts, read 16,685,221 times
I go to this park every once in awhile, but there is the same issue with most parks or isolated areas: sex. And if you live in this city for any length of time and are active, you will know/be aware that this happens almost everywhere that is industrial/isolated.

Hunts Point's industrial/isolated areas still sees some level of street prostitution (female).
Central Park has an area known as the "Rambles" which has been a male cruising location for decades (maybe longer).
And I have given up walking my dog through the walking trails in Pelham Bay Park because of all the men lurking around for sex.

The list goes on..but the point is..it happens all over isolated areas of the city, and is usually confined to small areas. I personally don't care so long as it is not in public view and they don't leave garbage (used condoms, poppers etc) on the ground..at least clean up after yourself.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 AM

22,917 posts, read 30,812,816 times
Can you still BUY poppers in vials?

In the whispered words of the immortal Mrs. Slocombe, "Where exactly in the Park IS this area Miss Brahms?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City