Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
It probably won't be too bad of a transfer like someone mentioned. I know transferring can be a pain (been there before), but it's worth it if you really want to major in something that City doesn't offer! Best of luck to you. =)
Thanks Jax!

I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 06:23 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
SuperMario you should write a book on crime and gangs. You know a lot about the subjects and you seem to love talking about it. Maybe your in the wrong major man. You can still switch.
I agree. Although I have had an outburst or two where I have made fun of him, he really does know his s--t. He has mentioned a few things that I know of and whenever he has mentioned something I am familiar with, his info is on the up and up.

I would love to read a book written by him or even a few long posts/threads where he discusses this kind of stuff in detail. As long and he doesn't get into his, "My hood is the baddest in all of history" mode, he's a good read.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:38 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
As long and he doesn't get into his, "My hood is the baddest in all of history" mode, he's a good read.

It's actually a pleasant change to have someone like Mario express his true feelings about his own neighborhood. It must be liberating to be forthright as so many of us swear by all that we cherish dear that our particular part of town is the best thing since bottled water and sliced bread.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:07 PM

27 posts, read 113,022 times
I live in Inwood. I know exactly the type of guys you are referring to. They hang out on the street with their walkie-talkie's, sit on the stoop, every once in awhile get arrested for selling pot. At least the guys in my neighborhood are pretty harmless. More than anything it is posturing. I would fear for them if they actually went to live a real ghetto - although they are trying like hell to turn Inwood into one.

My biggest ******* about living there:

Having men make comments to me every single day walking to and from the train

Groups of guys hanging out on the stoop of my apt making it impossible to get in or out

Guys with their pit-bulls (which are very gentle dogs by nature) but train them to be mean and aggressive

The noise level

My biggest gripe - The LITTER. The place is freaking trashed. Sidewalks covered with trash. There are two beautiful parks in Inwood and on the weekends during the spring and summer they look like a land-fill.

With all of that being said I am also aware of how society works, how class systems work and the effect of poverty on a group of people. What it is like for kids to grow up without their father around, their mother working 3 jobs to pay the rent so that kid most-likely is going to end up with not-so-great role models. It is a cycle that is perpetuated by itself and by society. I keep those things in mind although I can get pretty frustrated sometimes.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:31 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
No the bandana is either black with tear drops.

Or

The bandana is white with black tear drops.

This guy is not DDP but these are the flags that they wear.

lol Juelz Santana? I don't know, the whole Dipset crew is the fishiest group I know of. At one of their concerts here in the city or in Philly, a brawl erupted between gangs and Cam'ron and some other Dipset members went down and started getting involved in the brawl. It's all on video tape right here...

YouTube - Dipset Brawl

Old 10-29-2008, 03:32 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The gang problem in the city is a bit overblown IMO. It's a joke compared to a lot of other places. IMO, LI has a worse gang problem.

Definatly and 100% correct.

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-29-2008 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: No discussion of rep points

Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
lol Juelz Santana? I don't know, the whole Dipset crew is the fishiest group I know of. At one of their concerts here in the city or in Philly, a brawl erupted between gangs and Cam'ron and some other Dipset members went down and started getting involved in the brawl. It's all on video tape right here...

YouTube - Dipset Brawl
All the gang BS aside, dipset made good music. Too bad they all split up.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:41 AM

3 posts, read 12,851 times
Usually white is used as a "safe color" that someone could use to say they really don't affiliate with any gangs. But who knows...

Old 10-31-2008, 02:03 AM

185 posts, read 752,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt View Post
Usually white is used as a "safe color" that someone could use to say they really don't affiliate with any gangs. But who knows...
Thats true. In the absence of beads, Its quite possible

Old 10-31-2008, 03:47 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
No, no you're right. People come from the ghetto and get out and make sometimes for themselves; people come from nothing and rise above without getting involved in gangs/crime/etc. You can't just blame it solely on that.

I'm just saying these kids get involved in gangs when they are soo young, and many of them are good kids...

And in the case you mentioned above, it is the criminal's fault; however, we have to fix our educational system, criminal justice system, and poverty issues to really see a change.
Here we go, riding with the POVERTY and GHETTO.
That doesnt make it OK to commit crimes ukno?.
In America its always possible to survive and rise above the Ghetto level. Hell yeah!

What has happened to American will to ACT? and actualyl do something.
etov rof niaccm <- there is no message in this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City