Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:45 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,853,900 times

Advertisements

I've NEVER seen designated baggers in Manhattan...they get some of the other staff to bag when it's busy, but generally there are no baggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,007,099 times
No wonder alot of Northerners I see coming down here are cranky. It seems like service would be hard to find up there.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
No wonder alot of Northerners I see coming down here are cranky. It seems like service would be hard to find up there.
What you might not understand is that, unlike areas where people do gigantic marketing trips, with tons of bags and things, people in NYC usually market for smaller amounts at a time, that can easily be CARRIED home. One or two bags (more often than not plastic bags with handles). If there are more, usually a little cart is used or the order is delivered. The bag packing has no impact on our lives. Truly.

Maybe the grumpy New Yorkers you see are because people are so slow in the South.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
What you might not understand is that, unlike areas where people do gigantic marketing trips, with tons of bags and things, people in NYC usually market for smaller amounts at a time, that can easily be CARRIED home. One or two bags (more often than not plastic bags with handles). If there are more, usually a little cart is used or the order is delivered. The bag packing has no impact on our lives. Truly.

Maybe the grumpy New Yorkers you see are because people are so slow in the South.
Which leads to PO'd Southerners going just that much slower when they get pushy.

I didnt know that ya'll usually did your shopping in smaller amounts. Thats really interesting, actually. Ive never left the Southeast, but someday that may change. As I said in my original post, this particular customer just piqued my curiousity.

What I see normally is that people shop here in large amounts, and those amounts last them either all week or maybe 2 weeks. If the person has children, they shop in large amounts a bit more often than others. I didnt think that it would be much different anywhere else, but I guess that was my mistake.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:24 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,024,275 times
Here's an article that might interest you
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/ny...=1&oref=slogin

Long Treated as Volunteers, Tips-Only Supermarket Baggers Take Up Fight for Hourly Wage
They are a fixture across New York City, giving shoppers a welcoming smile and a helping hand as they assist cashiers in packing everything from apples to zucchinis.

In many supermarkets, managers treat these baggers as volunteers, not paying them wages and making them rely on tips.

But now, in a new front in the wage-and-hour wars, many baggers are speaking up, insisting that they are employees and should be paid like other supermarket workers. Call it the baggers’ rebellion — a rebellion that involves lawsuits, street protests and a boycott.

For eight months last year, Anton Bing, a 34-year-old Brooklyn native, bagged groceries at a Pioneer Supermarket in Brownsville.

“All I got paid was tips,” Mr. Bing said. “I worked six hours a day, and I got $25 to $30 a day in tips at most.”

His tips averaged $4 to $5 an hour, less than the state minimum wage, which was $6.75 an hour last year, rising to $7.15 on Jan. 1. Mr. Bing, a laid-off carpenter who is getting by with the help of food stamps, said he continued as a bagger because he was having a hard time finding other work.

(click link above for rest of article)

Old 10-16-2008, 10:25 AM

You also need to realize that, at least in Manhattan, most people don't have cars, couldn't find convenient parking for them if they DID, WALK to the grocery stores, don't have HUGE kitchens and walk home with their groceries. And we have home delivery service...

Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You also need to realize that, at least in Manhattan, most people don't have cars, couldn't find convenient parking for them if they DID, WALK to the grocery stores, don't have HUGE kitchens and walk home with their groceries. And we have home delivery service...
Ha! The differences between the two regions are interesting. Here, fat chance you'll find anyone to deliver your groceries unless you're very,very old.
And...our kitchens arent huge. The average size for a normal house is about the size of a bedroom 9 just a guesstimate). The REALLY huge ones are in the more expensive houses.

One of the nice things about New York, if I ever live there, will probably be that I won't have to cook anything. I've been told there are plenty of restaraunts there to take care of it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Here's an article that might interest you
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/ny...=1&oref=slogin

Long Treated as Volunteers, Tips-Only Supermarket Baggers Take Up Fight for Hourly Wage
They are a fixture across New York City, giving shoppers a welcoming smile and a helping hand as they assist cashiers in packing everything from apples to zucchinis.

In many supermarkets, managers treat these baggers as volunteers, not paying them wages and making them rely on tips.

But now, in a new front in the wage-and-hour wars, many baggers are speaking up, insisting that they are employees and should be paid like other supermarket workers. Call it the baggers’ rebellion — a rebellion that involves lawsuits, street protests and a boycott.

For eight months last year, Anton Bing, a 34-year-old Brooklyn native, bagged groceries at a Pioneer Supermarket in Brownsville.

“All I got paid was tips,” Mr. Bing said. “I worked six hours a day, and I got $25 to $30 a day in tips at most.”

His tips averaged $4 to $5 an hour, less than the state minimum wage, which was $6.75 an hour last year, rising to $7.15 on Jan. 1. Mr. Bing, a laid-off carpenter who is getting by with the help of food stamps, said he continued as a bagger because he was having a hard time finding other work.

(click link above for rest of article)
Thank you very much. Even the wage system there is different, though Im not clear as to whether or not those are common practices in NYC or if its specific to ethnic neighborhoods.
Baggers unite! LOL

Wish my store would let me take tips....it'd be a nice addition to the 7.05 an hour.... Im greedy...lol

Old 10-16-2008, 01:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,024,275 times
When she said some of our kitchens are small..,. she meant SMALL. Here's an example
One Bedroom Large (http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/reb/881635923.html - broken link)

Old 10-16-2008, 02:02 PM

Wanna trade??
I like kitchens that size.I have a friend that has a dorm room with that size kitchen. I was as happy as a clam... Less to clean...lol but then again, I abhor cooking.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM

You'd be welcome to eat out every night if you lived in NYC. But save your money - it's not inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City