Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:53 AM

101 posts, read 162,295 times

Advertisements

Yesterday me and 4 other friends went to a newly opened Chinese Sichuan restaurant in Chinatown to eat. We went in at around 8pm, and the restaurant was totally empty. So we thought it was a bit weird. But since we already got here, we just sat down.

The waiter and the boss seem very cold to us. But we didn't think much. So we ordered 3 dishes from the menu (Water cooked fish, double cooked pork, and Ants on a tree).

When the dishes arrived, we immediately noticed that the fish was not fresh (you can even smell it). So we called up the waiter and told him that. She said: "What do you expect, just eat it. This is not a luxurious restaurant."

We were so angry we did not even know what to say. We finished the unpleasant meal very quickly and did not even eat the fish.

When the bill came, we paid about 10% in tips because of the bad food and lack of service.

Then, just as we were about to leave. The manager came out from the kitchen and started saying to us: "You must pay at least 20% tip".

We told her : "It's our right how much tip to pay, your food is not fresh, service is bad. Why should we pay more?"

The manager started yelling: "You cheap men! 5 people came in and order only 3 dishes, do you know how hard it is to run a restaurant?! You cheap men!"

We started yelling back too. And then the chef came out of the restaurnat too and started shouting obscene words at us and stuff in Chinese. Finally we decided not to argue anymore and just ignore them and leave.

Then, the manager ran to the door and shut down the behind us and locked us inside the restaurant, and said :" No one will leave until you pay at least 20% tip!".

We tried to call 911 on our cell, but the chef hit one of my friends and knocked the cell our of his hand. And threatened us with a big stick on his hand...

We didn't want to be hurt in a situation like this, and had to pay the 20% tip and left.

I mean what the hell!?!?!? A restaurant run by the mob!?!?!??!?!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-17-2008 at 11:17 AM..

Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,545,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Yesterday me and 4 other friends went to a newly opened Chinese Sichuan restaurant in Chinatown to eat. We went in at around 8pm, and the restaurant was totally empty. So we thought it was a bit weird. But since we already got here, we just sat down.

The waiter and the boss seem very cold to us. But we didn't think much. So we ordered 3 dishes from the menu (Water cooked fish, double cooked pork, and Ants on a tree).

When the dishes arrived, we immediately noticed that the fish was not fresh (you can even smell it). So we called up the waiter and told him that. She said: "What do you expect, just eat it. This is not a luxurious restaurant."

We were so angry we did not even know what to say. We finished the unpleasant meal very quickly and did not even eat the fish.

You would be in your legal rights to call the cops instead of just airing the story here. And perhaps you might thing twice in the future before ordering
When the bill came, we paid about 10% in tips because of the bad food and lack of service.

Then, just as we were about to leave. The manager came out from the kitchen and started saying to us: "You must pay at least 20% tip".

We told her : "It's our right how much tip to pay, your food is not fresh, service is bad. Why should we pay more?"

The manager started yelling: "You cheap men! 5 people came in and order only 3 dishes, do you know how hard it is to run a restaurant?! You cheap men!"

We started yelling back too. And then the chef came out of the restaurnat too and started shouting obscene words at us and stuff in Chinese. Finally we decided not to argue anymore and just ignore them and leave.

Then, the manager ran to the door and shut down the behind us and locked us inside the restaurant, and said :" No one will leave until you pay at least 20% tip!".

We tried to call 911 on our cell, but the chef hit one of my friends and knocked the cell our of his hand. And threatened us with a big stick on his hand...

We didn't want to be hurt in a situation like this, and had to pay the 20% tip and left.

You would be in your rights to call the cops rather than to just air your grievances here as I don't think any of us have shares in that restaurant. And perhaps you'll think twice next time before ordering from a restaurant that has Ants on A tree as a menu item.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-17-2008 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 10-17-2008, 11:33 AM

317 posts, read 1,141,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
You would be in your rights to call the cops rather than to just air your grievances here as I don't think any of us have shares in that restaurant. And perhaps you'll think twice next time before ordering from a restaurant that has Ants on A tree as a menu item.
It's a meat and noodle dish. (Usually) no ants.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus View Post
It's a meat and noodle dish. (Usually) no ants.
Oh! Thanks Minus, for clarifying.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:40 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,028,154 times
Quote:

Look on the bright side- at least they didn't chastize you for slurping.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henna View Post
look on the bright side- at least they didn't chastize you for slurping.
lol

Old 10-17-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Sorry you guys experienced such an awful situation - on the heels of your recent fiasco at another restaurant recently where slurping was the issue.

Would you mind if I offered my humble advice? Order in and avoid dining out for a while.

And I don't mean to make light of your trials and tribulations at dining establishments around town but your narration here reminds me of a Marx Brothers or some such movie. In that scene the lead characters were being chased down a bustling midtown street by a motley crew of individuals from a Chinese restaurant - the owner, manager, head waiter, and chef all running in queue-like fashion after the errant patrons for loudly critiquing the menu choices in front of other customers and for leaving a mediocre tip.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:12 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,243,424 times
Well, I'll probably sound bad, but I'll tell you what I would do!

I would do what I can to get something done about it. First of all, I would contact the police, because you guys were held hostage and threatened. I would also report them to the restaurant health division, I would report them to The Better Business Bureau, and if any local newspapers allow it, I would submit a review of your experience in that Hell Hole in hopes they will print it. I'm sure there are several on-line sites you can write to.

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-17-2008 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 10-17-2008, 12:35 PM

391 posts, read 1,244,813 times
alot of restaurants and businesses in chinatown are mob run

Old 10-17-2008, 07:28 PM

71 posts, read 742,261 times
Wow...
Organized Crime Control Bureau: 1-888-374-DRUG <-- They have an Asian Organized Crime Unit to investigate things like this.

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-17-2008 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Not for consumer complaints
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City