Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:49 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times

Advertisements

!!!!????

You're allowed to hate Manhattan, Mr. Bulger, and love Wal-Mart all you want. This is a free country (for some).

But why, oh why on earth do you live in Manhattan if you hate Manhattan and everything that makes the city??

then

You ought to explain this one, Bulger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 03:43 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I was born in Manhattan (NOT Manhatten, please), have lived here my entire life (except for college) and can't think of any other place on earth like it. I don't own a car. Happily. I walk everywhere, including to work. I live in a real neighborhood - yes, we know each other and say hello on the street. If you can't find something here it doesn't exist.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:49 AM

178 posts, read 735,092 times
That sounds great to me.. no car. We pay 1800 in rent here but
another 1200 in car expenses... with car payments, gas and insurance
and a commute 60 miles to work and back.. crazy isn't it. I'd love
to be able to walk most places and taxi and use the subway for
what I couldn't walk to. It would be healthier too. Sorry for
the mispell on Manhattan!

Old 02-16-2007, 02:45 PM

8 posts, read 41,328 times
Mr/Mrs. Manhattan-ite, I don't have to explain anything to anybody, but since this is a forum and many people has help me a lot (including trying to find a house in the suburbs) I will. It's just the way I feel about the city. Regretfully my job has relocated me to this city, and I can't leave it until I do my time here (sounds like a prison). Oh please, don't tell me that I have lied, that nothing that I said is not true. You may not care about that, but I had just explained my point of view of the city.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:29 PM

364 posts, read 526,727 times
I LOVE MANHATTAN!

I have not had the chance to live there yet, but hope to someday. I visit the city about 4 times a year. Last year was five. Was just there last week and Christmas week. I absolutley love it! It is worth the average $2000 it costs me per trip. I look forward to my time there everyday.

I usually stay in Midtown. I know it like the back of my hand now. One day I head down to SoHo, West Village, Financial District. I love the little bakeries and walking everywhere. You can get a canoli anytime you please on any corner. The fine dining is unbeatable! Jean-Georges Vonrichten, Danube, Spice Market, Tao, Ruby Foo's. I could go on and on. Clubs- 40/40, Butter, Coco. Shopping- Saks, Bloomie's, Armani.

Probally my 6 four legged friends will keep me from moving there, but nothing will keep me from visiting the city frequently and contributing to New York's economey. I watch my pennys at home so I don't have to spare anything there!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:56 PM

100 posts, read 628,736 times
M.Bulger has every right to voice his grievances about the city. It is not for everybody, but certainly there does exist a neighborhood in NYC that is for somebody (I am talking about NYC as a whole, not just Manhattan).

But I must ask M Bulger that you must have known what you were going into. At what point do you sacrifice your own quality of life for a job. No job is worth such a personal sacrifice! If your job forces you into the type of misery you so eloquently describe, then why did you bother moving to Manhattan?

Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times
Brahmos is so very right about Mr. Bulger. While it is not Bulger's fault that he was relocated to Manhattan, it sure is all his fault that he came to Manhattan without knowing what the city is about. Geez!

If only for the movies, you should have known about the masses of people, the traffic, the high price, the cold winters and all that. Don't tell me you moved to the capital of the world and suddenly discovered the "harsh reality" of it all.

Next time, some research will do you good. And let us not think the New York suburbs are that much cheaper than the city itself.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:03 AM

66 posts, read 295,135 times
I like the diverse number of things you can do in Manhattan but getting around during tourist times (holidays) sucks because you can't get a cab anywhere near 5th Ave - 8th Ave from my experience. For better or worse there is nothing quite like Manhattan in this world so appreciate it for what it is because it's not likely you'll ever see it anywhere else.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:36 AM

480 posts, read 2,828,792 times
NYC, like any city, has its goods and its bads.

If you're old, poor, or stupid, then you probably won't like it. Otherwise you will love it.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 41,328 times
For Mr. Brahmos, and anybody else that wants to know, I came to the city several times as a tourist before I relocated and I was in love with Manhattan, the same way many posters are, as I can see. The bars, the people, the cab, the subway, the winter, the summer, the fall, the baseball games, the parade, 4th of July you name it, I loved it all.
Now, once I moved, I was able to see the other side of the city. The one that I don't like.
Again, if you must know, I made the wrong decision, and I have to bear with the consequences. As for Check123, you probably are right, stupid I am for not doing the proper research, or for only seeing what I wanted to see, now I have to disagree with the other two statements, I'm younger than the median resident age and I don't consider myself poor but yet I still don't like it. (Median resident age: 34.2 years
Median household income: $38,293)
My daughter born in UES, and still I don't like the city (by the way, reminded my the nights that I woke up to comfort her because horns woke her up, and I live across a hospital)
We can keep this thread going and going and going, and I have no problem to explain anybody what I think of the city, I don't think it would help La Quinta Family. From my point of view, If somebody wants to move to the city, I would advise them to weigh what I see now as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City