Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:13 PM

36 posts, read 85,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofenstein View Post
here's my critique:

while the huge paragraph towards the end was colorful and rhythmic, it was off-the-charts delusional. Evidence supporting your "claims"? that was pretty much the opinion of one midwestern tool out of many. funny, though.
heh, i tried to be funny. thanks.

support for the claims? here we go.
enjoy!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070405/ap_on_re_us/metro_population (broken link)
http://nymag.com/nymetro/urban/features/stress/10888/
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0621/p03s02-ussc.html "city schools"
http://www.foodbanknyc.org/index.cfm...750BCEA3F2872A "hunger in NYC"
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/ny...7lx0eF/+PJMSWw "demographics, white flight"
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...33&postcount=9 "the demographics chart"
http://www.economist.com/world/na/di...ory_id=1826620 "rent control"
http://nymag.com/news/features/17573/ "happiness in NYC"
http://www.nysun.com/article/31297/ "migration south/west"
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...ry=%5B%2Fquote "statistics - look for renters/homeowners/avg. income/families below poverty level vs. national averages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 10:45 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Most of what you wrote is true, however NYC is just different from the Midwest. Most of the average people who have grown up here and are originally from the area (which I might add is almost an extinct breed of person at this point) are just accustomed to all of the crazyness and stupid things that go on in this part of the country.

How many midwesterners do you know in the NYC area? I am guessing you lean fairly conservative, but I have noticed that most trans-plants from the Midwest and South who move to NYC consider themselves to be fairly liberal (especially compared to their friends and neighbors back home). Have you noticed this?

Old 04-07-2007, 12:11 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,732 times
An investment banker making big money here in New York City who would rather live in Indianapolis than in Manhattan.

Alright, this is a free country and to each his or her own, but you chose to live here so cope with it or leave as soon as possible. I'm sure there are banking jobs in Des Moines, Iowa or wherever you like it. And you'll find suburbs and cars and chain restaurants and rednecks and a certain lack of culture and all those things you like.

You'll also find poverty, meth labs, more crime than in NYC, the income gap and a dying population. But hey, it's your choice.

If I lived in the Midwest because I chose to do so, I wouldn't go to a forum to complain about how bad the Midwest is.

You are making big money in our great city. And all you can do is trash our great city.

It's just so sad.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:31 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Yeah but you can't make $150k - $200k per year, straight out of college, doing I-banking in Indiana. Whereas you can easily make that after 3-5 years working at a firm in the city.

The real issue here is one of snobbery. There are plenty of qualified business students from the NYC area who should rightly be filling these I-banking positions in the city. However the firms that hire I-bankers (and this applies to other fields, such as law, hedge funds & accounting) are very elitist in their hiring standards. As a result these companies would rather hire an Ivy League graduate from the middle of po-dunk nowhere than someone from NYC who graduated from a 2nd tier school. Because of this you have a large number of very wealthy people, who are from the South/Midwest/New England bitching and moaning about everything because it isn't exactly like what they had at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
An investment banker making big money here in New York City who would rather live in Indianapolis than in Manhattan.

Alright, this is a free country and to each his or her own, but you chose to live here so cope with it or leave as soon as possible. I'm sure there are banking jobs in Des Moines, Iowa or wherever you like it. And you'll find suburbs and cars and chain restaurants and rednecks and a certain lack of culture and all those things you like.

You'll also find poverty, meth labs, more crime than in NYC, the income gap and a dying population. But hey, it's your choice.

If I lived in the Midwest because I chose to do so, I wouldn't go to a forum to complain about how bad the Midwest is.

You are making big money in our great city. And all you can do is trash our great city.

It's just so sad.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:45 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,732 times
I think you are painfully right.

The job does not go to a native New Yorker. The job does not go to a New York-loving Midwesterner. The job goes to a bitching NYC-hater who will take the money, insult us and run back to his or her suburban town in nowhere.

I guess this is the greatness and weakness of our great town: that even this kind of undeserving and morally reprehensible individual gets his or her slice of the Big Apple Pie.

Makes me mad!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:17 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Is it safe in New York?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:36 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,225 times
This thread is getting nasty.

I have no problem with someone who comes to NYC to make some money. He doesn't have to love the city, hook, line and sinker. Even people who dearly love NYC know that there are some very negative aspects to living here.

This thread was to help someone who is thinking of moving here. It is important that she get the negative with the positive.

One of the negatives is the rudeness, as can be seen in this and several other posts on the NYC forum.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:52 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
I was born and raised in NYC and I don't like many things about it either. You don't have to come from out of town to dislike things in NY. I chose to move for a variety of reasons. Now, there are things that I miss but I also believe that I did the best thing for my family. There is no perfect place for everyone.

Thank you NYC for many good memories & my pension, I hope you continue to be the Capital of the World and I look forward to visiting in the future.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
Default I tend to agree with the first poster

about the "mallification" -- this place doesn't really have an edge anymore. That said it is still a unique city with tons of things to do. One thing to keep in mind though, is that we really only get about 3 months of decent weather here, and often spring doesn't last very long--it goes from cold to unpleasantly hot in less than a month or so.

If you can live in Manhattan (or very close) and retain an interest in the "lifestyle" here it can be fantastic. However, if you start to change as a person, it can lead to what Mr. Bulger was talking about. Personally, I live in the outer boroughs. I rarely go to the museums, bars etc. that are the attractions here. I have more of an interest in outdoorsy things now, and as a result I've been trying to live like a suburbanite here, and it isn't working. I no longer want to pay a premium for things that I rarely use, so I plan to leave.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:09 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la quinta family View Post
Hi New Yorkers! I am fasinated with New York, I've lived
all but my first three years of life in California. In 6 years
when we retire I want to move and rent a little place in
Manhatten. I imagine not needing a car, walking to little
local stores and bakeries, trendy little cafe's.. it sounds
so heavenly. Am I right? Oh, and I hear New Yorkers
are kind of rude... but someone else told me that they
were great!!
I spent a week in New York last month, mostly in Manhattan, and the locals seemed very helpful, and certainly not rude. I even heard "Excuse me" several times. However, most Manhattanites seem to be from "somewhere else".

The rudeness others experience is probably a result of standing in the middle of sidewalks in Midtown or other busy districts staring up at buildings...nothing wrong with staring up at buildings, but if you're going to admire the architecture you ought to step to the side, away from the stream of traffic. There are usually plenty of places to do this...parks, large building entrances with steps, etc. New Yorkers seem to walk very fast and tend to be in a hurry, and perhaps this "rudeness" is simply their equivalent of what is road rage for most Americans. When I am at a green light and the car ahead of me won't budge, I get annoyed too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City