Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
is Inwood and Washington Heights a bad area to live in?
They are. Inwood and Washington Heights are tough gritty neighborhoods. No different than the west Bronx. The areas west of Broadway are not bad, but anywhere east and you are in the hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 12:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
They are. Inwood and Washington Heights are tough gritty neighborhoods. No different than the west Bronx. The areas west of Broadway are not bad, but anywhere east and you are in the hood.
About the part of Washington Heights west of Broadway..."not bad" is a bit of an understatement. The area along Bennett and Fort Washington Avenues holds its own with any part of the Upper West or Upper East Sides. Those buildings are wonderful (can you tell that I still regret turning down an apartment there, years ago?)

Old 10-06-2008, 11:48 AM

223 posts, read 615,808 times
I don't know your price range or what you consider cheap but there are deals to be had in the Bronx. I'm moving too and I've come across several apartments in the Bedford Park and Moshoulu (sp?) sections for $900 - $950. Nice places with large rooms, quiet buildings/blocks, public transportation options (4,D, Xbus, Metro No.), hardwood floors, and new kitchens with granite counters.

It seems you get more for your money in the Bronx. And, if you have to move to an area that may have an above average level of crime; at least get something out of it instead of being overpriced to live in an old shoebox of an apartment. So I'd say keep the BX on your radar if you're looking for a cheap place.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
hands down staten island is the cheapest. There is a surplus of multi family homes with the extra apt waiting to be rented.

2nd place is new jersey. Still too undesirable with the out of town set. They are so hung up on Brooklyn that Manhattan is starting to become a good deal (when you factor in saved opportunity costs of lowering commute times).

Old 10-06-2008, 07:26 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Wash Hi, South bronx

Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Wash Hi, South bronx
Im calling you out. You mention Washington Heights in every post even when it does not apply to it. You also call it by it's "hip" name, Wash Hi. You have some type of property in Washington Heights, which is why you insist on promoting it. By your namesake, I would guess you live in New Jersey. But everytime, I respond to your ridiculous asssertions when concerning Da Heights (HOME OF THE HAZE) (DRUG CAPITAL) you fail to respond back. You to me are a troll, until you prove otherwise.

Now tell me with a straight face that Washington Heights has the cheapest rent in the city? Do you really believe that? Really? Do you think others are going to fall for it?

The cheapest rent would be found nowhere in the island of Manhattan. Maybe in East Harlem. But the cheapest rents are in the south Bronx. So Mott Haven, Morrisania and East Tremont are my choices.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Maybe the South bronx is the cheapest but I dont understand why people move from places like nice sections of jersey or manhattan to an area that is not great by any means. Goal is to move up in life or to at least keep the status quo. I dont understand why anyone would try to decrease their quality of life. I dont buy this urban pioneer bs.

Fact: People who live these places live there because they have no other option, either they were born and raised or they came as a very poor immigrant. Moving to the South Bronx or even Washington Heights as someone who can afford better is almost an insult to those who are forced to struggle there on a daily basis. Its as if you are making a mockery of these people's tough times. On top of that, 99.9% of newcomers (ones who can afford better) dont even have family in these places because their family would knock sense into them and say "why are you moving here are you nuts?" Plus having no family there also gives you no actual reason to move there.

The hip names are getting out of control. The latest and most ridiculous I have seen is "SoYo" for Southwest Yonkers. I almost threw up. That will never be hip, unless its hip to pretend you are a hipster in the ghetto not even inside city limits - try advertising that one to people in flyover states they consider Yonkers and Mount Vernon in the same area as Plattsburgh. Then there is "SoNo" for South Norwalk CT and "PoCho" for Port Chester NY. "SoBro" sounds as if it would be a giant weekly circle jerk outside the bruckner bar. And that South Brooklyn Bococo one is atrocious. This needs to stop

Old 10-06-2008, 10:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Maybe the South bronx is the cheapest but I dont understand why people move from places like nice sections of jersey or manhattan to an area that is not great by any means. Goal is to move up in life or to at least keep the status quo. I dont understand why anyone would try to decrease their quality of life. I dont buy this urban pioneer bs.

Fact: People who live these places live there because they have no other option, either they were born and raised or they came as a very poor immigrant. Moving to the South Bronx or even Washington Heights as someone who can afford better is almost an insult to those who are forced to struggle there on a daily basis. Its as if you are making a mockery of these people's tough times. On top of that, 99.9% of newcomers (ones who can afford better) dont even have family in these places because their family would knock sense into them and say "why are you moving here are you nuts?" Plus having no family there also gives you no actual reason to move there.

The hip names are getting out of control. The latest and most ridiculous I have seen is "SoYo" for Southwest Yonkers. I almost threw up. That will never be hip, unless its hip to pretend you are a hipster in the ghetto not even inside city limits - try advertising that one to people in flyover states they consider Yonkers and Mount Vernon in the same area as Plattsburgh. Then there is "SoNo" for South Norwalk CT and "PoCho" for Port Chester NY. "SoBro" sounds as if it would be a giant weekly circle jerk outside the bruckner bar. And that South Brooklyn Bococo one is atrocious. This needs to stop

I think you will enjoy this thread where we came up with the best acronyms for neighborhoods. //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...est-worst.html

Or maybe you already did enjoy and participate in it already since you've been around for awhile, constantly posting about how you can't stand it when out of towners move into the 'real' NY neighborhoods and ruin them.

Broken record.

btw, do you really think the people who are asking for the cheapest place to live in NY are asking that because they can really afford a much better place -- but they just prefer to do some slumming?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Lol wait till admin get to that!

You should check out the outskirts of gentrified neighborhoods. It gets grittier but if you dont mind walking a bit, its no problem

Old 10-07-2008, 12:30 PM

There were some good ones in there.

No I did not participate in it and Im not trying to lower property values to eventually participate in it either. Nice try Henna, I know you love to attack anyone who isnt a gentrification-happy newcomer.

I think there is a difference between living in the absolute cheapest place and absolute cheapest nice place. No sense in living with roaches, mice, rats, etc if you came from something nicer. Also, much of reason I brought up the quality of life issue is that I personally get irritated when I see the news show innocent victims raped, killed, stabbed, etc from being in the wrong place (rougher neighborhoods or blocks) at the wrong time. Moving into a high crime area to save $x/mo has can have its consequences, Its a shame when realtors, gentrifyers, etc over push a neighborhood and people get themselves in deeper water than they are used to. The problem with places in the outer boroughs is they tend to be quieter than the crowded places of Manhattan at night, so if theres nobody on the street at 4am to save you, good luck. People can end up like that girl on the G train who got raped and nobody else was around except the wimpy subway booth person. I dont know how that guy lives with himself just standing around like that. Pathetic. Nobody likes to see this stuff happen, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think you will enjoy this thread where we came up with the best acronyms for neighborhoods. //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...est-worst.html

Or maybe you already did enjoy and participate in it already since you've been around for awhile, constantly posting about how you can't stand it when out of towners move into the 'real' NY neighborhoods and ruin them.

Broken record.

btw, do you really think the people who are asking for the cheapest place to live in NY are asking that because they can really afford a much better place -- but they just prefer to do some slumming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City