Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:34 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
I was wondering.

What will remain of the LES? Will it retain it's grittyness, or will it continue to gentrify (..and sterilize?) ?

Anybody live there? How much would a 1bd apartment cost there?
Your late on that one. LES gentrified already. The projects are still there but everything else gentrified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
West Harlem from 125th to 155th a "core" neighborhood?

LMAO !
Yeah I don't know if I would agree with it under that whole "core" designation but for the last 8-10 years gentrification has been ongoing there. I would imagine it will slow a little but not rollback in these times.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:10 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah I don't know if I would agree with it under that whole "core" designation but for the last 8-10 years gentrification has been ongoing there. I would imagine it will slow a little but not rollback in these times.
I thought so too, however so far I don't think so, the rollback that is, at least not yet. I was up that way on Friday, I walked across from W 145th and Bway walked over to Pathmark on 145 and 8th. On Bway and Amsterdam you know you will see all types, very diverse. A lot of Hipsters live in the tenements between 8th and Lenox now. You could see them walking up the hill, on 8th going into tenaments on the in-between blocks down there. There were the upscale types, all racial groups represented going to and fro in the new luxury buildings.

Also the fact that Pathmark now has more organic choices all through the store and a greater selection of produce, soy products, sea food, shows that the customers are more varied now.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:55 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
I haven't seen any gentrification in west Harlem above 125th. Could you please tell me where it has gentrified from 125th to 155th, west of St Nick?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:01 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Your late on that one. LES gentrified already. The projects are still there but everything else gentrified.
But it is still a high crime area.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:39 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
I haven't seen any gentrification in west Harlem above 125th. Could you please tell me where it has gentrified from 125th to 155th, west of St Nick?
I know you are posting to NooYorker81, but are you serious? All the brownstones in the in-between blocks, from St Nick to Riverside Dr that have been bought by wealthy people of all racial and ethnic groups that is gentrification. The people moving into the walkup tenament apt buildings paying 1700 -2000 rent that is gentrification. Sometimes you may mainly see these people during rush hours walking to and from the subway. If you go into the supermarkets on Bway they are walking around. My doctor has her office in a brownstone west of St Nick and her clients are changing now. It reflects the neighborhood changes.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:08 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
Quote:
I'm aware of that, however I was inquiring about the remaining gritty areas.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Hamilton Heights (I hate that name by the way, to me its just plain old Harlem) has actively been gentrifying since the late 90's but it has escalated more within the last 4 to 5 years.

As a matter of fact if you happened to have been there within the last few weeks there were big yellow posters all over the place about meetings and rallies to combat gentrification. Don't you go to City College? I'm surprised you didn't see this.

Bro you forget I grew up in Harlem and still have family there. Your barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 10-27-2008 at 02:28 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
But it is still a high crime area.
I didn't say it was not. Gentrification does not necessarily equal less crime or an area no longer being a high-crime area, although that does tend to happen when higher income people move into an area.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 10-27-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
I'm aware of that, however I was inquiring about the remaining gritty areas.
Sorry. I misunderstood.

As for your original question, I don't know the going rents down there as I have not checked in some time, but I would imagine its pretty expensive. I don't think the area will continue to gentrify any further because pretty much what could be gentrified was gentrified. The projects are an isolated island unto themselves down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City