Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,309,945 times

Advertisements

I personally know a substantially amount of people, almost all poor, that have moved to Pennsylvania over the last 5 years from the Bronx. And there are more that continue to go everyday...I hear about it from neighbors and friends. There are many that are going to Florida and Georgia/North Carolina, but by far the ones that I know are fleeing to Pennsylvania. Has anyone else noticed this trend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 01:11 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,835,652 times
Yes I have but it is not just the poor. It is the working middle class as well. They commute to the city everyday to work. The ones I know say the commute is exhausting but they are able to live better and their children are in better schools. People with teens that were worried about their children finishing high in the city are really pleased.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:18 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,637,490 times
1. First, I'll speak from an upstate perspective, for I'm living with my wife in Rockland. Many folk are in upper Rockland, like Spring Valley and Haverstraw, due to 1. expensive housing in NYC and also the factory jobs in Haverstraw. I have a friend who lives in Orange county and commutes to NYC. He's an engineer, makin' bank! House is brand new, and I believe got it at a good rate. But his commute, as well as mine, is 2 hours! By the way, I still have my spot in Parkchester...ain't givin that up!

2. I know quite a few coworkers that are in Pennsylvania. The ones I know love it, while one couple I know came back to the city very disappointed.

I'll say this....the city, even recession-era, is still very expensive. Add to it the fact that the average Joe (not the plummer!) in NYC can't make a decent salary in the city, unless he/she either is on Wall Street, or been in civil service for a few minutes! So, many pack up and leave. They either leave for PA, where the housing is cheaper, or go south (where I saw listings in the Charlotte Observer for <$100K houses on 1/10 acre lots--I don't think that's recession prices, either!).

Also, take a ride on the Pescack Valley Line on Jersey Transit (Hoboken to Spring Valley). All the whites get off at all the stops (such as Montvale, Park Ridge, etc) and what's left of folk of color get off at the last stop, Spring Valley!

I am seeing a serious demographic shift to either excurban communities (Pennsylvania, North Rockland) or leaving the city alltogether.

Last edited by scatman; 10-23-2008 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Yes I have but it is not just the poor. It is the working middle class as well. They commute to the city everyday to work. The ones I know say the commute is exhausting but they are able to live better and their children are in better schools. People with teens that were worried about their children finishing high in the city are really pleased.
I don't necessarily know about better schools. My wife is paying 11K in property taxes, all the while an administrative glitch made by my stepson's guidance counselor kept him in the 10th grade for 2 weeks into the school year (he should be in the 11th). With that amount of tax money, all your schools better be like Tech, Stuyvesant and Bronx Science!

It is nice and quiet, though!

Last edited by scatman; 10-23-2008 at 01:55 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 01:34 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,842,947 times
There is also no state income tax on pension income in Pennsylvania...

Old 10-23-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
There is also no state income tax on pension income in Pennsylvania...
As someone said to me, the Poconos are supposed to be a vacation or retirement community, not a working community!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:44 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,540,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
1. First, I'll speak from an upstate perspective, for I'm living with my wife in Rockland. Many folk are in upper Rockland, like Spring Valley and Haverstraw, due to 1. expensive housing in NYC and also the factory jobs in Haverstraw. I have a friend who lives in Orange county and commutes to NYC. He's an engineer, makin' bank! House is brand new, and I believe got it at a good rate. But his commute, as well as mine, is 2 hours! By the way, I still have my spot in Parkchester...ain't givin that up!

2. I know quite a few coworkers that are in Pennsylvania. The ones I know love it, while one couple I know came back to the city very disappointed.

I'll say this....the city, even recession-era, is still very expensive. Add to it the fact that the average Joe (not the plummer!) in NYC can't make a decent salary in the city, unless he/she either is on Wall Street, or been in civil service for a few minutes! So, many pack up and leave. They either leave for PA, where the housing is cheaper, or go south (where I saw listings in the Charlotte Observer for <$100K houses on 1/10 acre lots--I don't think that's recession prices, either!).

Also, take a ride on the Pescack Valley Line on Jersey Transit (Hoboken to Spring Valley). All the whites get off at all the stops (such as Montvale, Park Ridge, etc) and what's left of folk of color get off at the last stop, Spring Valley!

I am seeing a serious demographic shift to either excurban communities (Pennsylvania, North Rockland) or leaving the city alltogether.
Indeed. Many people still don't realize the magnitude of the national/NYC housing crisis that hit us in the past 5-7 years. When you have a city with an average income of 45k and average home prices of 9-10 times that, a crisis was inevitable. Result : people fleeing to Pennsylvania, Tennessee, the Carolinas, other southern states - not to retire but to be able to afford to own a home.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:50 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,835,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I know necessarily know about better schools. My wife is paying 11K in property taxes, all the while an administrative glitch made by my stepson's guidance counselor kept him in the 10th grade for 2 weeks into the school year (he should be in the 11th). With that amount of tax money, all your schools better be like Tech, Stuyvesant and Bronx Science!

It is nice and quiet, though!
For the people I know, their children were being harassed by others in gangs and they didn't want to attend school anymore. They were in danger of dropping out. For them to be in a healthier atmosphere was the most important thing.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
For the people I know, their children were being harassed by others in gangs and they didn't want to attend school anymore. They were in danger of dropping out. For them to be in a healthier atmosphere was the most important thing.
True.

At the same time my stepson doesn't take lunch, due to the gangs taking over the lunchroom hour. And that's in the suburbs!

Oh, don't get me wrong, his school isn't bad (despite the guidance counselor and gangs at lunch). And overall, Rockland schools are pretty good. But don't think there aren't issues in Rockland's schools, either!

Old 10-23-2008, 02:03 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,254,643 times
I know a couple of people who commute into the city from Pennsylvania every day for comparatively low-end jobs (around $50 to $70 thousand a year). They make more in the city than they would in Allentown, but time is money, too, and spending that much time on a bus doesn't seem worth it to me. What's the point of having a large house if you're never there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City