U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:03 AM

40,049 posts, read 33,375,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
Unless the parade completely pays for itself or brings back a profit why should the city get involved?
The one-word answer to that question is (the envelope, please)...tourism. The parade brings huge numbers of people into the city--it actually kicks off the winter tourist season--and of course once people are here, they tend to spend money.

Whatever the city has to pay towards the Thanksgiving Day Parade, it makes back several times over.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:46 AM

597 posts, read 1,096,880 times
Fred314X;

You have a point there...the parade does bring quite a bit of tourism.
The question is HOW MUCH should the city contribute? Macy's should cover the bulk of the cost. Here's some information I found describing some of the things that make this parade happen and the city's role;
With 2 to 3.5 million spectators filling New York City's streets, providing top-notch security is an important and massive undertaking. Along the parade route, uniformed and undercover officers are posted. Helicopters (http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/macys-thanksgiving-day-parade.htm/helicopter.htm - broken link) monitor the airspace over the parade. Bomb-sniffing dogs are used to check the route. Sharpshooters are posted on rooftops and in windows. Extra security checks are made for days in advance at bridges, tunnels, airports and rail and bus stations [source: NY Times].
New York City police officers on motorcycles make their way down the route alongside parade participants. In 2006, police tested out Sky Watch, a portable two-story tower that allows an officer to have a better vantage point of the crowd. The tower can also be outfitted with cameras. Though the New York Police Department doesn't release exact numbers on how many of its 37,000-member force patrol the parade, police presence is obvious.
Safety precautions have been increased in recent years. Then-Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani appointed a 12-member task force to review the 1997 balloon incident that put a woman in a coma. In 1998, guidelines were set that prohibit the balloons from flying if sustained winds exceed 23 miles per hour or if gusts exceed 34 miles per hour. Balloons must not be more than 70 feet tall, 40 feet wide or 78 feet long [source: NY Times].
Mayor Michael Bloomberg appointed a five-member task force to review a 2005 balloon incident that injured two sisters [source: NY Times]. The task force found that balloons should be flown at lower heights to avoid obstructions. The guidelines for how high a balloon should be flown vary for each balloon.
In addition to these guidelines, anemometers --instruments that measure the speed of wind -- are mounted on poles at key points on the route, and each one is monitored with a portable computer by a police officer and a New York City Office of Emergency Management representative.
Macy's begins planning for the parade at least one year in advance and includes float and balloon creation, celebrity booking, volunteer coordination, and training for clowns and balloon handlers. As the parade grows closer, the preparations get more intense.
Well before the parade begins, objects that could obstruct balloons -- including arms of lampposts, traffic-signal poles, streetlights and trees -- are either altered or removed. On the eve of the parade, the balloons and floats are brought to New York City, and set up begins. By 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day, the balloons and floats are ready to go, and parade participants take their places for the 9 a.m. parade start.
After the parade, floats are immediately disassembled, balloons deflated and all are returned to their warehouse in Hoboken, N.J. The Sanitation Department estimated it cost $30,000 to clean up after the 1990 parade [source: NY Times]. Mechanical street sweepers are used to clear the mess. According to the book, "Imponderables - The

Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 PM

347 posts, read 825,371 times
Arrive early, bring a blanket to sit on until parade starts. A small bag of snacks and a drink will keep your happy as will standing in a spot with a public restroom nearby so your group can take turns "going". There is nothing like seeing those huge balloons up close. Around the corner from Macys there are huge tv screens that hang showing the parade as well. Have a great time

Old 10-13-2010, 11:44 PM

6 posts, read 20,401 times
can I ask exactly how early I need to be there? what time?
so what's the best (a good balance of things to watch and crowdness) location to wait?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:25 PM

Here is another article I found on the economic aspect of the parade;http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...FREE/903279989

I saw the figure of 30,000 of cleanup costs.I'm still wandering about the cost of police/traffic control.

Is really it worth it?

We need to work on taking the financial load off the city of New York, If we don't will we be bailed out like Government Motors? Understand I don't live in NY but its finances are important to the whole USA, as it is an important city that should not suffer.
Thanks,
JH

Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 PM

I plan on emailing NBC, the station that broadcasts this event to see just how much Macys is going to pay and how much will come out of citizen taxpayer money.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 PM

4,472 posts, read 9,506,680 times
Quote:
Here is another article I found on the economic aspect of the parade;http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...FREE/903279989

I saw the figure of 30,000 of cleanup costs.I'm still wandering about the cost of police/traffic control.

Is really it worth it?

We need to work on taking the financial load off the city of New York, If we don't will we be bailed out like Government Motors? Understand I don't live in NY but its finances are important to the whole USA, as it is an important city that should not suffer.
Thanks,
JH
Sooo by Government Motors I assume you mean GM. That actually stands for General Motors. And by wondering I think you mean wandering. Is English not your first language?

Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 PM

4,472 posts, read 9,506,680 times
Quote:
I plan on emailing NBC, the station that broadcasts this event to see just how much Macys is going to pay and how much will come out of citizen taxpayer money.
Why not email Macy's or someone at the city? What does the broadcasting company have anything to do with the costs?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 AM

956 posts, read 1,149,845 times
Quote:

Is really it worth it?

Thanks,
JH
Have to remember a lot of tourists plan come to NYC during thanksgiving because they want to see the parade.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Sooo by Government Motors I assume you mean GM. That actually stands for General Motors. And by wondering I think you mean wandering. Is English not your first language?
Thank you for your comments;

By "Government Motors" I was simply referring to what happens when big companies spend beyond their means, rack up a large deficit, and get bailed out by the national government.

No, English is very much my first language. When you type things too fast you sometimes get a misspelled word here and there.

I may take you up on your suggestion to contact Macys. Sometimes the direct approach is the best approach.

Thanks,
JH
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City