U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:51 PM

96 posts, read 295,539 times

Advertisements

All of my life I have watched the parade on tv and ever since I was little I have said that it would be sooooooo neat to someday go and see the parade. WELL this year is someday. Yes I am a tourist!!!
I would like to know anyones advice about the parade (just think of what you would have liked to have known on your first time)
We are going to spend the night in Newark.
Thank you so much in advance.
Robin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM

110 posts, read 299,304 times
I have never been to the parade. I usually try to avoid that area (and Manhattan altogether). However, here are some websites that may be insightful:

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Visitors Guide to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade -- View Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Live This Year
Thanksgiving Day Parade on Parade - Macy's
HowStuffWorks "How the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Works"

Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,164,971 times
Having lived in NYC, I never experienced the parade on the ground. I viewed it several times from client workplace window. I will say it's amazing and great every year. Dress warm, arrive early and be delighted by the sites. If you have time go the balloons being blown up, this is great for adults and children. View the sites listed by Gardier, it will be most helpful.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:26 PM

6,966 posts, read 19,724,037 times
don't go. watch it on a 60 inch

Old 10-28-2008, 07:38 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,855,892 times
I've gone so many times, I'm jaded.

But a few rules: GO EARLY if you want to be in front. REALLY early.
Bring something warm to drink (but remember, there are no bathrooms). You might want to bring something to sit on.

Also, the night before some people like to go to watch the balloons being inflated at Central Park West and 81st Street - but it's a mob scene.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 24,240,873 times
Bring stuff to eat and dress warm and comfortable. Keep the liquids to a minimum.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:27 AM

172 posts, read 502,159 times
What is the Macys Parade?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:26 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,396,044 times
^^^ A giant Thanksgiving Day Prarade ( I beleive the largest in the Nation ). It starts at 77th and CPW ( 8th Ave) and marches down CPW until it reaches Columbus Circle @ 59th St, and then turns down Broadway, through Times SQ, until it ends at 34th St near the Macy's flagship store. This parade is known for it large crowd, colorful floats, marching bands, music, but most of all, LARGE ballons and of course, Santa! Usually, this parade marks the start of the holiday season in NYC.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:32 PM

40,048 posts, read 33,171,820 times
If you go, be there early. And the farther uptown you go, the better your chances of being right up front. (Once upon a time, the parade started at 110 Street. It got cut back through the years, although given the attendance it usually draws, extending it that far uptown again might not be a bad idea!)

Old 10-09-2010, 08:09 AM

597 posts, read 1,085,091 times
I know this thread has not been posted on for about two years however, I have a question. How much does this parade cost the taxpayers/tourists of NYC? I know Macy's does not pay the bill completely. The city must have to pay for security and traffic control and somehow I don't think Macy's is paying the whole bill. I don't support city parades and celebrations if they are not 100% payed for by corporation(s) that claims to be the main sponsor. Unless the parade completely pays for itself or brings back a profit why should the city get involved?
Just my thoughts..... What are the plans for this year? Is Andy Williams making another appearance, I remember in 2008 when he showed up to sing a Christmas song at the end of the parade. I heard rumors/speculation that he was not feeling well that day and really did not want to attend.
Thanks,
JH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City