Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:59 AM

203 posts, read 689,278 times

Advertisements

that why i dont like taking the subway

id rather just drive in manhattan and pay for parking

beats being in a stinky train with a bunch of smelly people lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
BronxKidd how do you have the luxury of commuting to the city every day for work, pay for parking, etc?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
If people understood train etiquette it would be a much more pleasant ride. The general rule is: Don't dawdle, be conscious of those around you, and don't obstruct traffic flow. What this means practically:

Take out your MetroCard before you get to the turnstile.

Always walk on the right on the stairs and leave room for people going in the opposite direction.

If you're descending onto the platform and there is a train already in the station (that you don't want to take), always assume that people will be scrambling to get on the train; get out of the way and let them pass.

If you've just exited a train, walk in the center of the platform (at an express stop) or against the wall (at a local stop) to allow others to get on the train.

If you're confused and need to get your bearings in a station, stand against a wall or pillar while you figure out where you need to go.

If you need to ask directions (and most people are happy to help) only ask people who are already stopped and waiting for a train (never stop someone who is walking).

Don't stand in the door when people are trying to get on and off the train; move the to center of the car or towards the doors that are not being used. (This is, in my opinion, the most egregious sin on the subway, yet all too common.)

Let those exiting the train get off before you get on.

If the train is the least bit crowded, take off your backpack.

Get ready to get off the train (move towards the door) before the train stops.
Yeah I absolutely hate how people crowd around the doors on the trains. I don't understand why people love staying by the doors all crowded and stinky when there's more open space towards the center.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:19 AM

391 posts, read 1,249,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Or when I'm going for a seat and a guy jumps in front and gets it. Next time that happens, I'm probably going to end up saying something. It's one thing if it's another woman, but a guy? I believe guys should be gentlemen.

Unless youre disabled or a senior citizen, women are perfectly capable of standing like anybody else. Believe in yourself

Old 10-28-2008, 11:30 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post

Unless youre disabled or a senior citizen, women are perfectly capable of standing like anybody else. Believe in yourself
I hear ya, Tuna. For Rachael, I'd get up and give here a seat since she's both cute and nice. But I've had some diminutive, 4.5 feet women including school-aged, middle-aged, and seniors on crutches, push me aside and bolt with the alacrity of a 100 meter sprinter in order to snag a seat.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
....Or when I'm going for a seat and a guy jumps in front and gets it. Next time that happens, I'm probably going to end up saying something. It's one thing if it's another woman, but a guy? I believe guys should be gentlemen.
as usual - equal pay, equal rights and all the "gender equality" talk but w.r.t women's "benefits", guys are supposed to be gentlemen. If the ladies ACTUALY believed in gender equality,one will also see an equal amount of ladies giving up their seats to "gentlemen". smh.........

Everyone in the city has a "train story" however most of the time, the people are calm.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
There are, of course, exceptions, but standing in the train door seems to be a macho, tough-guy thing. They cop an attitude that says, "Walk around me, real men stand by the door." It's not masculine, just rude and obnoxious.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I think you guys are reading way too much into the standing by the door thing. It is likely because they are getting out shortly and don't want to be swallowed up in the middle of the train...easy in..easy out....simple.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:44 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think you guys are reading way too much into the standing by the door thing. It is likely because they are getting out shortly and don't want to be swallowed up in the middle of the train...easy in..easy out....simple.
Yeah sometimes but a lot of times people are on the train for a while and they still huddle around the door.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM

456 posts, read 1,397,047 times
What about the people who stand by the door while the train is moving but politely step aside when other people need to pass? I don't see the problem, and yet I have seen other passengers glare at them as if they were the devil incarnate. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City