Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 AM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 455,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
"So now the cops have to deal with killing two subjects and all the mental effects that has on a person..."

and dont give me that guilty conscience Moderator cut: stuff! You Moderator cut: people dont Moderator cut: care, if you obviously try to cover Moderator cut: yourselffor doing something reckless and completely unnecessary.
And you mentioned my biased opinion? Seems to me that you need to do a little self evaluation of your own before slinging insults around.

Based on your heated response, one would think that you have had some dealings with police outside the realm of everyday hello's. Perhaps you found out first hand that those shiny bracelets were not built for comfort.

Back on topic...
She will get no sympathy from me.

Peace
Winter

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-23-2008 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
The shooting in the back initially caused me some second thought, however it is as simple as this: The cops ordered them to put down their weapons but they shot back and charged. They then paused to run and as the shooting stopped for a few seconds the cops returned fire hitting them in the back as they ran to duck for cover or escape..simple. As a result of everything I have heard and read, the cops ARE justified and they stopped innocent lives from being killed. Rising Sun..I agree that we do not know ALL of the facts yet, and may never, but based on what we know so far..I am with the cops 100%. And thats all.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:46 AM

59 posts, read 253,854 times
"You stay here because we have the most tolerant laws in the world and half of what kids do today in America would get them severely beaten or killed elsewhere in the world."

Really? You have proof to back this claim up? Sure I agree this country is the most wonderful country in the world, and we do have tolerant laws. But whats the point of all of this if the ones whose duty are to uphold the laws and "protect and serve" are actually killing the same people they're supposed to be protecting?? Dont Moderator cut: fault me for using the word slaughter. How many innocent people have been killed by police within the last two years? I'm not a police hater, the uncle whom I was named after was a chief of police in Philadelphia, two of my friends are cops there also. Its the criminal, homicidal police who Moderator cut: cover for each other that create this whole "us vs. them" mentaility that you pigs live by. The community doesn't want to beef with the police, and yet you wonder why no one wants to cooperate with the cops after Moderator cut: something goes down.

I've lived my whole life witnessing cowardly bastards hide behind a badge, and a badge isn't reason enough to shoot someone in the back!

How many more civilians must be victimized by the police huh? What about the guy who was sodomized by the police? Sean Bell? There are countless stories, and these are just the ones that make the news!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-23-2008 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 AM

Default Food for thought..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The shooting in the back initially caused me some second thought, however it is as simple as this: The cops ordered them to put down their weapons but they shot back and charged. They then paused to run and as the shooting stopped for a few seconds the cops returned fire hitting them in the back as they ran to duck for cover or escape..simple. As a result of everything I have heard and read, the cops ARE justified and they stopped innocent lives from being killed. Rising Sun..I agree that we do not know ALL of the facts yet, and may never, but based on what we know so far..I am with the cops 100%. And thats all.
If we base our conclusions on what happened on what we know, then we are doing so based on what we consider normal and close our minds to any other realm of possibility. Is it possible to be running and shooting? Yes it is. The accuracy is greatly diminished, but it is in the realm of possibility. Now to put this in perspective, you have two individuals who engaged the police, shooting at them, while the officers are probably behind some type of cover. We are taught that we are responsible for the target and whats beyond. The bad guys could care less. We are taught to shoot to eliminate the threat. Given these considerations, I would be in agreement with you. It sounds like a clean shoot to me. Unfortunate mind you, but if it was either the cops or the bad guys (My biased opinion) I will always rule in favor of the cops, especially when they exhausted all other use of force options.

Peace
Winter

Old 11-03-2008, 11:09 AM

I agree Winter..I think in this case it is well justified, and I dont like to second quess when they have to make these split second decisions. However, I think the NYPD in general, has lost ALL credibility, and can no longer be trusted as honest or credible. There is a clear pattern, encouraged from the top down, to fabricate stories and lie in order to cover eachother, regardless of what is right or wrong. This has been going on for decades, and is going strong today...how does this policy serve anyone but the thugs/criminal element in the NYPD? As a result, I understand The Rising Sun's posts, as he is well justified to have that opinion.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Default Heres a hug...you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
"You stay here because we have the most tolerant laws in the world and half of what kids do today in America would get them severely beaten or killed elsewhere in the world."

Really? You have proof to back this claim up? Sure I agree this country is the most wonderful country in the world, and we do have tolerant laws. But whats the point of all of this if the ones whose duty are to uphold the laws and "protect and serve" are actually killing the same people they're supposed to be protecting?? Dont Moderator cut: fault me for using the word slaughter. How many innocent people have been killed by police within the last two years? I'm not a police hater, the uncle whom I was named after was a chief of police in Philadelphia, two of my friends are cops there also. Its the criminal, homicidal police who Moderator cut: cover for each others that create this whole "us vs. them" mentaility that you pigs live by. The community doesn't want to beef with the police, and yet you wonder why no one wants to cooperate with the cops after Moderator cut: something goes down.

I've lived my whole life witnessing cowardly bastards hide behind a badge, and a badge isn't reason enough to shoot someone in the back!

How many more civilians must be victimized by the police huh? What about the guy who was sodomized by the police? Sean Bell? There are countless stories, and these are just the ones that make the news!
You throw insults yet again and know nothing of me. Amazing. Ok so you have first hand knowledge of this regime of evil police officers victimizing the innocent. Where are you now? Why arent you stepping forward and trying to change the "system"? Fear? Now whos being cowardly?

You know the difference between you and I? I do what you wont. I could care less about your rhetoric, because I know in my heart that I did the best I could do even if that means placing my life on the line to save yours, mean and bitter as it is, I'd do it.

I have seen more evil perpetrated between husbands and wives than those evil cops you mentioned. Like I said, I have the suspcion that you might have had personal dealings with Police...the world may never know.

My son tells me every day that he wants to be a cop. What does yours tell you? When I grow up I want to be a conspiracy theorist just like you? Cowards with badge......classic. Im surprised you havent played the race card yet. Keep em coming.

You almost hurt my feelings.

Remember what I said about perception? Your the classic example

Peace
Winter

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-23-2008 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I agree Winter..I think in this case it is well justified, and I dont like to second quess when they have to make these split second decisions. However, I think the NYPD in general, has lost ALL credibility, and can no longer be trusted as honest or credible. There is a clear pattern, encouraged from the top down, to fabricate stories and lie in order to cover eachother, regardless of what is right or wrong. This has been going on for decades, and is going strong today...how does this policy serve anyone but the thugs/criminal element in the NYPD? As a result, I understand The Rising Sun's posts, as he is well justified to have that opinion.
Ok lets put this in perspective shall we?

Insurance companies cover doctors who are negligent right?
Politicians cover each other constantly right?
Teachers are protected by thier school boards right?

You see where I'm going with this? You make mention of corruption at the top working its way down. This takes place everywhere...its not just the NYPD alone. I'd be willing to bet that if you crunched the numbers, more negligent deaths have resulted from pharmaceutical (spelling?) companies than any ten major metropolitan police departments, yet they are held liable monetarily, never criminally.

Is it fair to assume that all Cops in NYPD are bad? No its not. The shadow may exist, but there are good officers there too. Risingson has a personal agenda, one that involves police and is using this forum to slander all good cops.

I respect his opinion to a point, but could never endorse it.

The thin blue line may exist, but its getting thinner with each passing year. Its become a very difficult job, one where no one wants to do it. What happens then?

Peace
Winter

Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Winter Of course I do not agree that all cops are bad...that would be silly and juvenile. But, the big difference between you examples and the NYPD, is that cops have the right to kill you. If the worst that happened with the NYPD is they denied your insurance claim, it would all be a nonissue, however what we have happening TOO OFTEN are NYPD thugs marauding around terrorizing people because they know they have the badge that will protect them (and by badge I mean the Union, Police Brass, and fellow officers.) DO I think that most cops are bad? Heck no..I think there are some like any other profession, but UNLIKE any other profession, the NYPD has the power to ruin your life, and take it for that matter. I think the problem is a fundamental lack of leadership, a dysfunctional and hostile work environment inside and outside the precinct, a lack of trust and teamwork inside and outside the precinct, and an environment of "us vs them" that encourages the thuggery, hostility, and lack of accountability that pervades the dept, and this is all from the top down. As a result, all of the good cops, who are the overwhelming majority, are forced to function in this insane environment, and must compromise themselves in order to stay on the job. I respect the NYPD and I do not envy them or their jobs, but I no longer believe they are credible on the witness stand nor on cases, and that is a profound problem for the dept. Until the Police Brass provide the leadership and resources ncessary to train and nurture a healthy police force, we will be talking about these atrocities year after year after year. And that is completely unacceptable.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:52 PM

185 posts, read 751,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
I felt compelled to reply as I have been in law Enforcement many years now and have seen a thing or two about "Perception of the events" as opposed to what really transpired.
Good, so in your experience of "Enforcing" that law, I can rightfully assume that you are well aware of what "FACTS" are. Lets check Princeton University's Definitions for "FACT" to get the "Ivy League" perspective on just what "Facts" are: WordNet Search - 3.0 (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=fact - broken link)

So which "facts" do you present? Lets see...

Quote:
Without going to much into any one part of this conversation, I know these to be facts.
1. The sons were both armed
2. They were involved in an altercation in a bar
3. They engaged police, demonstrating thier intent to kill
4. They were shot and killed
5. Thier mother was not a saint
I have searched extensively for proof of these "facts"; everywhere. All I see is NYPD testimony that the sons were both armed, which are allegations. If you come across anything that indeed makes this a fact, please post... I am waiting

Number 2 is ALMOST a fact. The NYPD never claimed that they were IN the bar, but OUT side of their bar (which ALSO happens to be in FRONT of their house) Reference: http://www.nypost.com/seven/10272008/news/regionalnews/2_brothers_killed_by_cops_shot_in_the_ba_135562.ht m

and reference: Mom of brothers slain by cops: I want answers

So to clarify, NOBODY claims that the boys were ever in the club, not even the NYPD. So you have established a "fact" that not even the NYPD claims happened. Maybe we should be more careful next time and CHECK our facts And as a "law enforcement" officer, I would hope that on a daily basis you would put as much work into INDEPENDENTLY analyzing an investigation accurately as I (the civillian) have.

So the actual fact? The boys were apparently involved in an altercation in front of their own house, which also happens to be the club in question, without ever entering the premises. Independent witnesses also hold this claim to be true.

Point #3 Based solely on NYPD testimony. Unless, are you claiming that NYPD is always EQUAL to fact? Please provide proof, (Reuters, Associated Press, wherever, give me anything) that these allegations have been proven and are now fact. Again, patiently waiting.

Point #4 FINALLY A FACT Yes, I agree, these boys WERE in Fact shot AND Killed. The Medical has confirmed that there were gun shot wounds AND that these boys were in fact Dead. So Yes, this point is indeed a proven Fact.

Point #5 I suppose if you are arguing on technicality, the woman has NOT literally applied for "Saint hood" (IF someone here Does know the Pope or a Bishop that can attest differently, please post ) If you are alluding to some sort of behavioral problems of the mother, please post a reference. So far I have not found any. Either way, IF you were to establish that point #5 WERE a fact, as a "law enforcement" study, you would be well aware that Point #5 would be irrelevant to the case as it would have no bearing on justification for the shooting.

WOW, If you are THIS confused about what the word "FACT" means, then this only shows further the SERIOUS problems that we face with incompetent and or biased law enforcement. I don't even have my Associates Degree, and yet I know that a fact is ONLY a fact if its been proven. Out of your "5 Facts" , 3 were pending allegations, 1 was an actual PROVEN false statement, and only 1 was indeed a Fact.

The irony is that you conveniently ignored the most important FACT in the investigation, that the medical Examiners have proven that the NYPD has given False Testimony. And yet this FACT doesn't seems to phase you. Perhaps it is too inconvenient. Please I Beg of you, show me where the mother's statements have ever been proven false. Just one lie. One. I haven't found one so far.

Based on that fact can I assume you are willing to admit that The mothers given statement holds greater credibility since it has not yet been proven false. And that the NYPD statement has LESS credibility since it has been proven FALSE. Now with the investigation more facts will be established undoubtedly.

However, in the PRESENT, are you willing to ADMIT that the mother's statement is MORE Credible than the NYPD statement?

If you cannot admit at least this in the PRESENT, than you are being intellectually dishonest and should not be in the position of law enforcement. "Law enforcement" requires integrity.

Quote:
True she lost two sons at once, but she set that wheel in motion many years ago when she chose her lifestyle over the good of her kids.
I am curious what you mean. Not that it has bearing on the case. But still, since you like to throw it out there... Are there any SPECIFICS you care to share about this woman's lifestyle that bother you, actual documented examples would be nice.

Quote:
I am a realist in that I believe wholeheartedly that her sons were eventually going to kill or be killed for some foolish reason or cause privy only to those who ran in thier circle or group.
Probably true, most kids in poverty, whether "bad" or good kids face such unfortunate circumstances. As a "law enforcement" officer, I suggest you already realize that its YOUR DUTY to serve AND Protect them ANYWAYS regardless of what their future fate may have been.

Quote:
This woman will get no sympathy from me as none is warranted.
Very sad. Now why exactly is NONE warranted? VERY Curious. Do you not believe in Karma? Sadly many individuals who lack sympathy for others get none from their fellow man when faced with similar circumstance. [/quote]

Quote:
So now the cops have to deal with killing two subjects and all the mental effects that has on a person, especially if they themselves are parents.
I thought dealing with mental effects were part of their training and evaluation.

Quote:
Then they will have to face all the public scrutiny to include all the administrative sanctions that follow any deadly force incident.
Yes that IS what we do in the United States of America, that is paramount in a democratic nation. Power is and MUST always be checked. The moment these checks are eliminated is the moment we become a dictatorial banana republic.

Quote:
My sympathy lies with the police who were FORCED to shoot them, not the mother.
Ah I see. So you sympathize with an officer who is a PROVEN liar by scientific Evidence. Would you also say he was FORCED to give false testimony as well?
But No sympathy for a mother that had nothing to do with this incident, lost her children, and SO FAR has given Testimony that has held up consistently with independent witnesses and evidence. As a law enforcement officer, you DO like "EVIDENCE", right?"

All I can say is .....WOW... So THIS is what society has come to, emotions over logic and reason. Just tragic.

So you are willing to stick up for a cop with proven false testimony over a mother who lost her sons and has NOT been caught lying.

So why DO you hate her so much? IS it because she's black? To you is she just "1 of doze ghetto hoez"?, Or do you just simply enjoy defending "False Testimony"?

If the MOTHER had given False Testimony instead, would you stick up for HER? To protect liars over victims?

Quote:
One final comment, would she demand the same course of action be taken if her sons killed several police officers?
IF her son's killed several police officers unjustly, than I should HOPE she would do the right thing. The news has shown quite a few thugs in Brooklyn robbing people, and old ladies, only to be kicked out of the house by their mom, or grandmom, and turned over to police. If I remember correctly, they were also black. I have no reason to believe this black mother wouldn't have also done the right thing as well should her son's have been guilty.

And if I were the "law enforcement" officer, I would try my hardest to get those boys locked away for a LONG time upstate. People who know me on this board know, I Don't have sympathy for thugs or criminals, for ANYONE who is wrong, whether gang banger or Cop, just lock em up and throw away the key.

I guess thats the difference between us. You will the support the cops right OR wrong, true OR False testimony. And I just can't do that. My conscience will not let me. And I need karma on MY side

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-23-2008 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Links only, please -- limit cited text to "snippets"

Old 11-03-2008, 11:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,872,980 times
It has come to a point that the poilce in NYC should go back to the way things were in the 1980's & 90's. They should answer the 911 calls, respond to the scene & pick up the pieces. Any proactive policing is met with a lack of public support and there is no respect.

Is it possible that there are very few people left in this city who remembers what it was like in NYC during that crime infested era? 2200 homicides a year? 16,000 robberies in the subways alone in 1988?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City