Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,640 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Natalia. I am a student at Rutgers University where I am taking a class at my school called Scientific and Technical Writing where we need to find one particular problem in the area and submit a 30 page project proposal at the end of the semester that should involve helping a specific population. An issue of my interest is the construction of the 2nd avenue subway.

The building of the 2nd avenue subway, or the "T" line as they will call it is planned to be started this year, and hopefully be completed by 2025-2030. It was recommended as a course of action to reduce overcrowding and delays on the Lexington Avenue line and to improve transit accessibility for residents on the Far East Side of Manhattan. A concern however of the MTA is the probable relocation of residents where the subway would be built as well as the closing down of various businesses.

Please, anybody living in the area or knows someone in the area, let me know how you feel about this situation and what you think is the best solution. You think more bus service should be provided to the residents on the Upper East Side? Do you feel like a temporary relief system should go underway at the Lexington Avenue stop till the T line is completed? What do you feel would be the best solution for residents living in the area that may be forced to relocate? You can write anything on your mind. It will be greatly appreciated and you will help me so much for my class.

Thank you!

Natalia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
You might look up the history of this subway line. It would make a good book, and is fascinating.

I can't offer any up-to-date information, but I can tell you that in my lifetime this subway line has been started, forgotten, re-opened, refinanced and redesigned more times than I have hair on my head. The number and amount of Bond Issues must be staggering!

So too short stories for you to add, for humour:

- once in 1968, I tripped over the massive wood piles laid across the ungraded pavement on 2nd Avenue at 9th Street trying to cross (with traffic). The entire avenue had been torn up for the "great" new subway line we all wanted on the Eastside. The subway was to be completed in about 10 years. I left the country and came back only to trip again!

- on another occasion I was invited to go underground to visit another subway system that was to (and now does) connect Roosevelt Island to Manhattan as a representative of a vocal city organization. It was a rare, and infrequently offered glimpse into the invisible underbelly of a city, and might have been the basis for the novel, "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman--a highly readable, wonderful story that takes place in London's underground (deeper than those in NYC)

The tracks, I learned, connecting the various lines, those with names I can hardly remember-BMT, IRT and IND--but still bear some smudged signage at subway stations (see 14th Street at the Park) are not the same width--so the 3 original lines can't connect. - one of the millions of reasons given, time and again, for the failure to complete the 2nd Avenue subway and/or to upgrade the entire system.

I hope your project is a success and that NYC builds this subway because it would aid those living on the Eastside and increase their mobility. The 1st and 2nd Avenue buses just can't do it!

BTW, as you probably know there are several good websites online; here's one: http://www.nycsubway.org/

Last edited by ontheroad; 02-18-2007 at 10:41 PM..

Old 02-19-2007, 07:03 AM

417 posts, read 1,891,002 times
I think the completion of the 2nd Ave subway is something that should've been done a long time ago and I'm glad the idea is being revisited. Let's see if it actually happens....

If/when the MTA does start working on it, no doubt it is going to severly disrupt traffic on the east side as areas are torn up. A good time to implement congestion pricing for all of Manhattan. It would generate much needed revenue, alleviate congestion (to some extent- I think many, many people will just pay it and continue to drive into Manhattan) and ideallly get more people to consider and become accustomed to using mass transit to get into and around the city.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:34 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,267 times
Yeah the "T" line:

It seem it will be pretty short. Only from 125 in Harlem all the way downtown to Handover Square. So far, it will be the only subway line to only serve Manhattan.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:54 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
The shuttle from Grand Central to Times Square only goes thru Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Yeah the "T" line:

It seem it will be pretty short. Only from 125 in Harlem all the way downtown to Handover Square. So far, it will be the only subway line to only serve Manhattan.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:39 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,267 times
yeah, but nobody really consider it a "true" subway line.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,260 times
Default Watch out for em!

There are upper east side gangsters

[url=http://www.muesg.com]www.muesg.com[/url]

Site is safe for work.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:14 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Is it really gonna take that long for the 2nd ave subway I thought it would be done sooner.

I saw some sketches of the stations and the trains. It looked pretty sweet. The stations are going to have AC and be very nice looking. The trains were very sleek and modern.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 01-29-2008 at 12:36 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 04:17 PM

82 posts, read 545,964 times
I've learned that, if the city is responsible for building anything..add at least 10 years to that!
There is no way the 2nd avenue subway line will be completed by their estimated date.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:45 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
I think it is 2013 when the first section of the 2nd ave subway line will be done.

What I didn't realize until a couple of days ago when I was reading this is that there will be 2 different lines running on the 2nd ave subway. The one will be the new one, the "T". The other will be an extension of the Q line up to 125th st.

So by 2013 you will be able to take the Q train up to 96th street on the 2nd ave line. I am definitely looking forward to that. The stations will be all nice and clean.

Hopefully it will make some people to stop and think questions such as: "Hey why isn't my subway station nice looking and clean like this one?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City