Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:30 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
BUT, and this is the funny part, somebody took my paper on Wed morning! Some things don't change! lol..but it was because they wanted the Obama winning edition I suspect..as no other has been taken. I hope whoever took it reads it at least..they may learn something.
Yeah, I saw a McCain guy stealing your paper..he tried to jump ship and show up at Obama's hiring center armed with your paper, your posts, and applying to be on the committee that keeps check on deadbeat tenants. Funny thing is instead of appointing him on the landlord commission, his application got mixed up with mine and now he's been appointed tenant rep - a position not as glamorous as the landlord one.

That'll teach him to steal your paper and try to impersonate others!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 11:40 AM

169 posts, read 418,929 times
sobroguy, i don't see what the big deal is.... black people read the wall street journal too.

Quote:
If you believe that people of color, who are now over 50% of the city's residents (that would be the MAJORITY), are somehow disappearing...you are mistaken.
actually that figure is waaaaay off. Blacks make up 25.1 percent of NYC's population to be exact, as of 2006. And in fact whites make up the largest racial group in NYC, at 43.9% and growing. And again, I'm not saying that anybody is entitled to any housing based on race. And also, if white people need government assistance, they can get it just like anybody else. They can live in the projects or low income housing if they want, too. Again, entirely false when you say the city is building housing for "people of color." I'm just asking the question: what neighborhoods are successfully integrated with people of all races? When you see white people move in, it always means one thing: rent is going up. And an entire neighborhood is no longer available affordable, because the reasons i already discussed: the city's failure to open up more land for development and high building costs and regulations. I mean, its jsut hard for me to see something positive from making more and more neighborhoods in this city unaffordable for people who currently live here, work hard, and participate in their neibhorhood and community. And entirely contrary to your skewed perception, this is most people who live in my neighborhood, as opposed to your offensive stereotypes as everybody being uneducated, dangerous animals with no role in NYC's prosperity.

But of course, you fail to address this Mod cut personal attack.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-08-2008 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 11-10-2008, 12:50 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
He meant Blacks and Hispanics. Hispanics are of color too.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:17 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Thanks SuperMario....Jackson...whites are the minority in NYC, with Blacks + Hispanics being the majority. Regarding your specific question about public housing, when there is a never ending wait list of 200,000 people, 95% of which are people of color, for public housing, it is essentially UNAVAILABLE to anyone else. Regarding the new affordable housing that is going up, the city is purposely EXCLUDING people who DO NOT live in the neighborhood. How? When they build affordable housing in Mott Haven, Harlem, or whatever other communities of color, not only are there income restrictions, you must also be a resident of the community district. What does this mean? ONLY people of color, as they are typically 90%+ of the population in areas where affordable housing is being built, are allowed to apply/live there. Again, white people are essentially prevented from that avenue of housing. So the reality is, white people are the ones that are being discriminated against in housing in NYC, yet you blame them for all the housing woes? There are PLENTY of communities that are integrated and successful, have you ever been to Queens? Most "white" communities in the Bronx, except Riverdale, are all integrated with a healthy dose of Whites, Hispanics, etc. Jackson I wish you luck in life, but your attitude proves to me that your anger towards whites is misdirected and is keeping you from seeing the real problems of the community..and it isn't white people moving in.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:27 PM

But back to topic...there is some good and bad news. The good news is that there is a new gallery that opened up in Mott Haven HAVENARTS the gallery , and they have had some great artists shows and events. The bad news, the Gallery Lounge THE GALLERY LOUNGE 26 Bruckner Blvd. Bronx NY 10454 no longer serves sushi due to lack of demand. Oh well...it is a great place but the area is not quite ready just yet for sushi...but hopefully that will change soon.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:12 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Let's face it - the Bronx in general, and South Bronx specifically, has a serious p/r issue not just with out of towners but with native and transplanted New Yorkers also.

The legacy of burnt out buildings, crime, desolation, and poverty still lingers in the minds of most. The South Bronx continues to be used as a prime example of the potential ills of public housing by its opponents and it is this image that frightens a significant number of people from considering it as a place to live and work.

Of course, as posters on several threads have pointed out, the image and the reality do not always coincide. Redevelopment is in full swing in several swaths of neighborhoods and the housing shortage/bizarre real estate prices have made some move way up and north in order to survine in NYC and to have a roof over their heads.

Even the hipsters - forerunners of their older siblings, the yuppies - cautiously evaluate their options when it comes to the South Bronx with a degree of apprehension that they do not apply to other sketchy parts of town like Bed Stuy, Corona, South Jamaica, Hell's Kitchen, etc. The fact that it is the only borough preceded by an ominous "The" does not help its image (there are of course historical reasons why one says "The Bronx" as opposed to just "Bronx," having to do with the family which had large stakes in that borough a long, long time ago).

It would help if a partnership involving the city, private sector, developers, community and civic organizations could get involved in a massive p/r camapaign to alter the perception so many have. This campaign would not include obscuring the continuing issues of crime and drugs which are a part of life there unfortunately, but would focus on all the developments and infrastructure programs that have taken place and that continue to emerge. How to curb criminal activity on the scale that exists there would have to be seriously addressed with the simultaneous p/r campaign and the ongoing efforts at redevelopment.

Only when all strategies are implemented will New Yorkers no longer feel intimidated to go past Northern Manhattan from the South or beyond Riverdale from the North. Maybe the day will soon come when anyone considering a night out will head there to enjoy some Sushi with a feeling of security for their persons and property. The Bronx will win, the city will gain, and we NYC residents will have one more place to add to our entertainment, dining, and workplace options.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 PM

The South Bronx is unique in that there is a perverse pride in being the "South Bronx" of infamy...and the reputation (although unwarranted anymore) that goes with it. For better or worse, the reputation will linger for decades even when nobody believes it to be valid...much like how we revere many people/events that may no longer have the same impact/reputation that they used to. The South Bronx will likely always be the South Bronx..and that's okay...except it will be discussed by everyone as how things used to be versus how things are...and that is the real change that is happening and all that matters.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:23 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
But back to topic...there is some good and bad news. The good news is that there is a new gallery that opened up in Mott Haven HAVENARTS the gallery , and they have had some great artists shows and events. The bad news, the Gallery Lounge THE GALLERY LOUNGE 26 Bruckner Blvd. Bronx NY 10454 no longer serves sushi due to lack of demand. Oh well...it is a great place but the area is not quite ready just yet for sushi...but hopefully that will change soon.
Bummer, their sushi was pretty good!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:07 PM

169 posts, read 418,929 times
Quote:
Thanks SuperMario....Jackson...whites are the minority in NYC, with Blacks + Hispanics being the majority.
um... what? Then why I don't I say asians and whites are the majority and hispanics and middle easterner's are the minority?? Why are blacks and hispanics combined? I mean, if you say that then you might as well put indian people in there too, because they are a lot more black than most spanish people. Whites are by far the biggest ethnic group in NYC, first of all. Sure, if you want to combine two or more races together, they are the minority.

Anyways, totally besides the point. Hatred towards whites? No way. And like I said, it doesn't matter at all what race you are, you are welcome to live where you want. However, its hard for me to understand how you think increasing the demand for housing in neighborhoods that are already full to the brim with people is going to help the community. Understood mott heaven, YOUR neighborhood, has some vacant lots and land to work with. But speaking for MY neighborhood, highbridge, it doesn't have room. The vacancy rates are very low to begin with; I don't see a need to try and make every full neighborhood in this city more appealing for people who do not live here so they can put even more pressure on the housing for so many that are already paying over half their income just to pay the rent.

But perhaps rent is a moot point right now while we are witnessing a big time collapse of the heart of this city's economy. Lets face it, this city runs on FIRE, all of which is just being propped in a futile attempt to maintain an unsustainable economic status quo.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 AM

I do not mix blacks and hispanics, that is done by this country, and we are lumped together as "minorities" (which in and of itself is wrong as we are the majority in NYC, and majority in the world, but that's for another discussion). But here are my comments: Regarding your comments about "making communities more attractive to people who do not live here", who says anyone is doing that? The improvements that are in fact coming to Highbridge are geared directly TO and FOR the community! The affordable housing being built in Highbridge (and most other communities) are restricted ONLY TO RESIDENTS!!!!! The rehabbed housing and subsidized ownership opportunites are also restricted ONLY TO RESIDENTS!!! In your comunity of Highbridge are they building a Neiman Marcus, Saks, and Tavern on the Green? Nope..they are putting in a Target, Marshalls, Red Lobster, Toys R Us, etc....all big box chains that appeal to the working/middle class..not the wealthy or those outside the neighborhood. Your assertions are all wrong, the community is improving for the current residents, not for some other sinister reason. And on a side note, you should note that when the city had a policy of disninvestment and abandonment, which essentially sealed the fate of these communities for 30+ years, the community complained RACISM, and blamed the city for all their problems. Now the city is INVESTING in the community to make things better, safer, and healthier, and the residents (like you) are complaining about improvements, complaining that the city is making the area more appealing for "those outside of the community" and that the city is purposely "driving up the rents." What a joke! If you do nothing the city is racist and evil, if you invest in the community the city is racist and evil..see a trend here? Since it is clear you will complain no matter what, I am happy to see the city investing in these communities and making it better for EVERYONE, all NYC residents, including the current residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City