Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:57 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,928,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
I'm with them on the PATH- I've seen one too many scary things happen in that god-awful train with no security.

New Jersey does have mass transit, SilkCity! Of course they do. They've got trains and buses, but as I said, many people won't use them.

They'll drive their car. It's a state of mind.
Regarding the 7 line, it is very much needed in the Far West Midtown area where it would go. The area around 11th and 12th Avenues between 37th and 42nd Street are going to have so many new residential towers they better put a subway to move the people.
The PATH is bodytobody during rush hour and on NJT it is hard to get a seat.
The rest of the time it is under utilized. But not during rush. Even the Buses are full during rush. Only PATH is 24 hours though and people would rather have a car for non-work events as they don't want to think about missing the last train home.

People who take their cars in on the weekday should be fined or something. Either that or there needs to be more options available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 12:29 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,364,642 times
I don't know if you were paying attention to the news lately, but it was reported a couple of weeks ago that the majority of cars coming into Manhattan during the work week are mostly from the outer boroughs and not NJ.

If you really want to stop the flow of traffic into Manhattan during the work week enact a toll on the bridges over the east river. Make the tolls payable by EZ-pass only so that there are no related congestion problems and use the new high speed EZ-pass machines so that the cars don't have to slow down to pay the toll.

Doing this would definitely put a dent in the ammount of traffic coming into Manhattan. I am sure people in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx would think twice about taking the bus/subway before they had to pay a $6 toll for driving their car into Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
The PATH is bodytobody during rush hour and on NJT it is hard to get a seat.
The rest of the time it is under utilized. But not during rush. Even the Buses are full during rush. Only PATH is 24 hours though and people would rather have a car for non-work events as they don't want to think about missing the last train home.

People who take their cars in on the weekday should be fined or something. Either that or there needs to be more options available.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:38 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,561 times
That is something I always wonder. why the hell would someone drive from the outerboroughs, and not take mass tranist? Aren't there park-and-rides at major subway stops through out the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: