U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,691 times

Advertisements

I am looking to find out about this resaurant. When I was little early 60's we used to go into the Bronx with the family on the holidays and eat here. Does anyone have any info on this place or know of a web site I might see pictures?

Also looking for the name of a cemetery on Gun Hill Road. thanks Joanne
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM

12,119 posts, read 31,632,148 times
wasn't that restaurant on E 233 street? the cemetery you refer to is probably Woodlawn. Don't know of any others on Gun Hill

Old 10-31-2008, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 13,317 times
Default Mayers Restaurant

It very well could be on E 233. It has been a long time since I have been there. Do you know what happened to this place? know where I might see pictures? Joanne

Old 10-31-2008, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 13,317 times
White Cross fishing Club, Bronx: Anyone out there a member? Any relatives that may have been? Looking for information from the 1950-1960 era. Joanne

Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,404,785 times
Default Mayers many a wedding there

Mayers was on E. 233th St and Bronx River Parkway.....it closed in 1980.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:30 PM

12,119 posts, read 31,632,148 times
Default if it was on the NW corner of Webster...

and 233 street it is now the RiverRoad Motor Inn

Old 05-29-2011, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,649 times
You are both correct. The cemetary ran from one block north of Gun Hill Road to East 233 street. If you traveled down Webster Avenue you would get a better picture of the size of Woodlawn. Does anyone remember the Bar next to Mayers? I'm trying to get its name.
Mayers had a fire in it back in the early 70's late 60's it was revovate again in the mid 70's and late purchased by Misericodia Hospital, later know as Our lady of Mercy and know owned by Montifore Medical Center. I did drawing for the renovation after the fire and late reviewed drawings for Our Lady of Mercy renovations of the site.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,255 times
Default Mayer's Parkway Restaurant and Jerry Jordan's Band

Mayers was one fantastic club. Live music six nights a week, an oval bar that sat 120 patrons,consistently good food and always good service. I worked there , and I loved the place. The Mayer Brothers George and Billy, were good business men and good the employees. The customers were always satisfied.
I was the drummer in my father's band, Jerry Jordan's Orchestra and there was live music 6 night's a week. On Sunday we would start at 7P.M. and play dinner music for an hour. My dad was a musical verturoso and would play the violin, one of 20 instruments he played well, while the people enjoyed their meals, and by 8 we had them dancing. My brother Bill, who played Bass, had very good voice and would charm the patrons with his style. Friday nights we had a Champaign Dance Contest, many dancers who frequented the Roseland came to Mayers on Friday nights. We were known for our ability to play all the various rhythms so the dancers could Mombo, Cha Cha, Tango, Waltz, Lindy etc.We played 3 A.M.
Every summer the whole place closed down for 19 days for cleaning and remodling. The employees received 2 weeks pay and a catered picnic outing for everyone and their families. Christmas was truly a wonderful event and the Mayers brothers went all out. A Completely decorated interior and an outdoor Nativity Sceene, with life sized figures and live barn animals.
On June 11,1966 there was a major fire and Mayers closed for a number of years. Following the fire Billy Mayer ran The Stuffed Shirt Bar and we would talk about reopening the club. My father went on to work on Broadway in musicals, the Opera, movies (The Night they Raided Minskie's) and then he relocated to Florida. I joined the Navy and ended up in the Fleet Marines. My brother, his wife Johanna and three children moved to California in 1969 and I folllowed in the fall of that year.
Mayers reopened in 1971 and closed in 1980. From a hot dog stand that Robert and his wife started in 1902 to a bar, resraurant and catering "factory" that could accomodate 20 weddings on a Saturday. Amazing! It was unique.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,175 times
I remember Mayer's as a wonderful catering facility and also a pretty swanky place for special occasions that my family celebrated. Although I was quite young, I do remember the live band playing during dinner and also something akin to a water feature like a cascade or fountain that was colorfully illuminated against the wall. Also, the leather-type chairs with hobnail trim all around. As a kid, it felt like we'd gone Hollywood whenever we ate at Mayer's. My grandparents' 50th anniversary was celebrated there. And I also recall the elaborate Nativity scene at Christmas. A very special place indeed-- would love to see photos of the interior if anyone knows where they can be viewed.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 467 times
Hi I was looking for Mayer's also...My parents and grand parents 1957...My aunt's wedding...Rightly so... They hated the groom lol ......Take care Oh no I have a photo

Last edited by kristlkrost; 02-25-2021 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Photo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>