Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:30 AM

10 posts, read 38,238 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving from Moscow to NYC and are trying to narrow down the list of areas for a home search. I will be working in on the Upper West side.

Here is a list of what's important/not important to us in selecting a neighborhood:

- Young couple with no kids, so schools, etc aren't important
- Looking for a residential neighborhood (not an apartment)
- Like a bit of green, but not too far for the commute and benefits of city life
- Can pay from 450K-550K
- Since my wife and her mother are foreign (and not used to living in the US), would prefer someplace in a safe environment

Thanks for any advice you can give us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 AM

660 posts, read 2,435,141 times
you should try near where i live
theres fieldston and riverdale where you could find some nice houses
also theres a big beautiful park around there to
and its about a 45 minute ride on the train to midtown manhattan
good luck

Old 05-02-2007, 11:50 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,844,738 times
You could likely find a small (studio or 1 bedroom) apartment In Manhattan for the price you're willing to pay. Living anywhere in Manhattan is feasible, as you don't need a car and the public transportation is fine...Are you working at Columbia U? Because that's a little further up from what people usually consider the UWS. The University area (NOT the medical school area in Washington Heights) is also safe.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:10 PM

155 posts, read 847,293 times
Look into Fleetwood section of Mt. Vernon in westchester. Lots of historic homes and walkable to the beautiful downtown of Bronxville. I think it's 1 of westchester's best kept secrets. Can't get any more convenient to midtown manhattan.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:44 AM

38 posts, read 151,861 times
I'll do you one better. Move to North East Yonkers. North East Yonkers is a really safe area and you can buy a 2400 sq ft house needing no work for about 550-600k.
You would be 5 - 7 minutes from 4 train stations that could take you right into Manhattan if you worked there. Furtheremore, the taxes in the NE section are VERY reasonable. Plus at night time here it is very quiet. Most people do not even know the NE section is a part of Yonkers. Just ask for Bronxville Heights in Yonkers. You will not be disappointed.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:07 AM

155 posts, read 847,293 times
I agree with Skins, some areas of yonkers are often overlooked, especially if you don't care about school issues. The only problem is Yonkers has its own special income tax.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:22 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,844,738 times
What you do need to know is that it's annoying to get to the Upper West Side from Westchester by train. You get off at EITHER 125th St. and go across and down OR you go to Grand Central, then take the subway across and up. Either way, it's no treat.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,645 times
Queens, NY Bayside or flushing area along LIRR train takes you to Penn Station in Manhattan Approx 20-30 min train ride to manhattan Nice

Old 05-03-2007, 11:58 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,328,943 times
I think this was one issue looked at by the Mayor's recent PlaNYC. I believe they are considering linking at least the Hudson River Metro North line to Penn Station.

You are definitely right though, making that connection will not be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
What you do need to know is that it's annoying to get to the Upper West Side from Westchester by train. You get off at EITHER 125th St. and go across and down OR you go to Grand Central, then take the subway across and up. Either way, it's no treat.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:16 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,656,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozk69 View Post
Queens, NY Bayside or flushing area along LIRR train takes you to Penn Station in Manhattan Approx 20-30 min train ride to manhattan Nice

Second.

The Port Washington branch is the best run LIRR line. And Bayside, Douglaston are nice places...last stops in Civilization before entering the vile burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City