Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,993,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
What does (an extremely tiny) percent of them being mugged by African-Americans 50 years ago have to do with Obama?
Let's educate and try to bring your experience level from the 1952 Kumbayah stage you are at to 2008. Your lack of experience has left you clueless and your education hapless.

Take for example Bushwick Brooklyn 1964 pre-great society. This is a working class community, houses are immaculate. the residents work for a living and there is safety. Then LBJ kicks in the Great Society welfare programs and suddenly New York is offering the most generous welfare in the land and also providing FHA home loans. Some unscrupulous real estate/mortgage people like Harry Bernstein sign up to be a rep for the government FHA program and begin blockbusting the area for huge profits.

Within 13 years the neighborhood went from safe community to a literal warzone where your property or person was not safe. Not only was grandma getting punched in the face on the way to pick up the bracoile but the cars where getting broken into nightly. Houses were burning down on a daily basis. the schools became a warzone of daily violence. It was a real disaster, not an isolated incident. Can you imagine if some sleepy waspy town like Greenwich had some soccer mom getting punched in the face while pushing her cart out of wholefoods with little Aiden's Organic frozen dinner and had her purse snatched? This was a daily or hourly occurrence in many parts of Brooklyn in 1960's-today. Life without safety is akin to life without water or food. If people have some venom in their veins from those days they are fully justified. Why ignore history and let it happen again? Seems like those that were protected from the carnage are ready to let it happen again or maybe their short attention span will not let them realize anything that is not pumped into their heads by the media.

This is why people with experience do not want the social programs and the free lunch. This is why why S.I. votes for the elephants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:53 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,569,639 times
Staten Island, like any place in America, has every right to vote the way it has without the obvious attempt to label it in implied or explicit unflattering language. The election is over, Obama won, let's move on. And no, people who voted for McCain and not Obama are not necessarily racists. By that logic, blacks who overwhelmingly voted for Obama could then be labeled likewise.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,995,938 times
Quote:
Heavy on work? Staten Island is a blue collar cesspool that nobody wants to go/move into. If the inhabitants were such hard workers and superior, they would have the money to move someplace nicer.

I wish Westchester or Hudson County was a borough of New York City instead. Staten Island is not NYC.
Let me educate you, because your classless comments about Staten Islanders are pathetic: Staten Island is a composition of working class, middle class, and upper- middle- class. It has a multitude of beautiful neighborhoods that I am pretty sure you cannot afford to live in. And many of its inhabitants have plenty of money, therefore, they can move anywhere they wish to, but LOVE to live here. Do your research before you open that uneducated mouth!!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
And why is it even part of NYC????

I was looking at the election results:

Obama won Manhattan by 86%, Queens 74%, Brooklyn 80%, Bronx 88%, as well as Westchester, Long Island, Fairfax, Bergen and every other city in the Northeast.

But Staten Island voted Republican by 52%.

Strange.
I'd like to pose a question to the OP - based on your stats above, might I ask why are the other 4 boroughs so liberal in voting for Obama? Why don't they have Staten Island's conservative perspective? Strange, isn't it?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Let me educate you, because your classless comments about Staten Islanders are pathetic: Staten Island is a composition of working class, middle class, and upper- middle- class. It has a multitude of beautiful neighborhoods that I am pretty sure you cannot afford to live in. And many of its inhabitants have plenty of money, therefore, they can move anywhere they wish to, but LOVE to live here. Do your research before you open that uneducated mouth!!!!!
I can't afford it? There is no neighborhood in that classless cesspool good enough for me. What's the highest price home in Staten Island, $1MM? LOL. Truth is, I am on the "giving" end of Obama's tax plan and there is nothing in that giant trash hole that I couldn't afford.

Quote:
This is why people with experience do not want the social programs and the free lunch. This is why why S.I. votes for the elephants.
Tax raised on whom?

Staten Island is middle class and would be on the receiving end of the Democratic "welfare" program so your tax increase rants are completely false. And it's so ironic, since people in the United States earning over $200,000+ still voted for Obama over McCain. There aren't much people on that forgotten dump Staten Island who earn over $200,000.

Last edited by Americanboy; 11-08-2008 at 12:05 AM..

Old 11-07-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
There is no neighborhood in that cesspool good enough for me.

Tax raised on whom?

Staten Island is middle class and would be on the receiving end of the Democratic "welfare" program. And it's so ironic, since people in the United States earning over $200,000+ (and all other tax brackets) voted for Obama.....there aren't much people in that dump Staten Island who earn over $200,000.
Your stats actually show why hard-working middle class people prefer the Republicans. You see, the wealthy who pay $5,000 a plate for the elite Dems' dinners can enjoy substantial tax loopholes at that level of compensation and need not worry about the Dem's programs. And the remaining poor, lower income constituents of the party receive tax transfer payments, and thus they too need not worry about the substantially generous programs being offered by our incoming president.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:17 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
I guess we'll just have to give SI to NJ and take Hudson County instead, and then the city income tax can go up significantly (on top of the forthcoming increase) so that we can replace higher incomes with the lower ones we'll be absorbing, but at least the city will have then voted in unison.

SI has been part of NYC longer than any of us has been alive, and describing it as a "cesspool" clearly indicates that one has an agenda towards Richmond County. Do I think that my ultra-liberal or ultra-conservative neighbors are horrendous because we may or may not agree on points? Or, should they be forced to move or be removed from the city because I do not agree with them, or since they did not conform to the prevailing trend? Last time I checked, this was the USA and one had freedom to choose and the right to vote as their conscience dictates. So what if SIers voted for McCain, that's certainly no excuse to denigrate the island because the fact is not liked. Get over it!

Old 11-08-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Last time I checked, this was the USA and one had freedom to choose and the right to vote as their conscience dictates. So what if SIers voted for McCain, that's certainly no excuse to denigrate the island because the fact is not liked. Get over it!
as usual, the friend of jinglebell enunciates it best.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:21 AM

78 posts, read 316,151 times
Default staten island

Great place. Lets hope the yuppies and artists don't ruin it.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Somehow I get the feeling people think Obama is going to be a miracle-worker who's going to fix things over-night.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City