Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:25 AM

67 posts, read 307,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraw View Post
Great place. Lets hope the yuppies and artists don't ruin it.
At least someone with common sense.

It's laughable that many people in this thread probably live in ridiculously overpriced condos/lofts/apartments in "gentrified" areas with new, fancy names - the building of which have slowly caused the people native to those areas (i.e. black people) to be priced out and pushed out. But voting for Obama they think they're doing their part to help race relations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 11:57 AM

821 posts, read 1,033,125 times
I personally love my neighbor Staten Island, I have many childhood friends that moved there from my hometown of Bensonhurst.
Its hard not to say that racism didn't play a role in Staten Islands vote or many other districts throughout the city for that matter.
Man! Marine Park, Sheepshead Bay, Gerritsen Beach, Howard Beach, Rockaway, Breazy Point, for example were very hateful during this campaign. I was personally scared for my own well being wearing any Obama parfinalia in these sections. But any way back to Staten Island,

Undoubtly I grew up with some of the most racist group of people in Bensonhurst. I lived around the block from where Al Sharpton was stabbed. This hate and anger traveled across the bridge to Staten Island in the 1970's, 80's.

Its interesting that opressed people such as Irish and Italians turn away from people of color and cling on to WASP- American values that are flourishing in the Republican Party. Kind of like the can't beat join em' mentality.

But lets say for instance that Obama was a white guy,

The problem that many of us here have with Staten Islands support of republicans, is that these Republican views are the cause of opression and could, will and have hurt the people in the past.
Its proven that there are less improvements to the lives of the poor and middle class during a republican administration.

The Republican views don't represent the best interests of Middle Class Staten Island.

The majority of Americans that voted for Obama voted because they felt that he represents their best interests.

It just doesn't make sense, no logic. Just votes based on fear and false morals.

Last edited by Joe Bama!; 11-08-2008 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,760,730 times
Yep, I'm white but I knew a lot of it was racism so I didn't want to say it outright. From what I've heard, Italian Americans in general are more racist than small town southern evangelicals.

For God's sake, rural (and Republican) Hancock County Kentucky voted for Obama over McCain and Staten Island which is supposedly part of cosmopolitan NYC went Republican.

I can't stand that hell hole. I've been there (only once, thankfully) and the whole Island and its citizens are the epitome of trash. Isn't Staten Island a giant trash dump? How fitting.

Last edited by Americanboy; 11-08-2008 at 12:25 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 12:44 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,983,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
Yep, I'm white but I knew a lot of it was racism so I didn't want to say it outright. From what I've heard, Italian Americans in general are more racist than small town southern evangelicals.

For God's sake, rural (and Republican) Hancock County Kentucky voted for Obama over McCain and Staten Island which is supposedly part of cosmopolitan NYC went Republican.

I can't stand that hell hole. I've been there (only once, thankfully) and the whole Island and its citizens are the epitome of trash. Isn't Staten Island a giant trash dump? How fitting.
GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!!We do not need people like you here. The "trash dump" that you are referring to has been closed for about 5 years, and is going to be a beautiful park. Your ignorance or lack of knowledge shows how much you know about this island.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:50 PM

821 posts, read 1,033,125 times
Quote:

Chill out, Staten Island is a nice place to live. The people are good people. This is not about Staten Islands landscape, its about there vote for republican, John McCain.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:16 PM

648 posts, read 3,079,677 times
GO JOE BAMA!! lol i've made some of those observations also!! Rock On!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:39 PM

718 posts, read 2,319,891 times
HAHA what a joke! Youve only been there once and youre passing judgement on the place. Who the **** are you that makes you the almighty voice? Why are you passionately attacking Staten Island? Are you trying to point fingers at someone else to hide your shortcomings in life? I think this is the story of yet another Obamabot trying to prove they are not racist and point the race finger at fellow caucasian brethren. Obamabots are the ones who make color the biggest issue of all.

Get it through your head, there were two candidates in this presidential election, and the losing candidate will have earned majority votes in few pockets in the Northeast. McCain earned 162 votes, that is more than you will ever earn in a presdential election pal.

If you actually live in New York, youd realize that there is currently a republican mayor (now "independent"). Dont tell me Staten Island was the only one that voted him in because they account for only 0.5 of over 8.0 million residents.

Quote:

Old 11-08-2008, 01:42 PM

34,133 posts, read 18,381,144 times
Quote:
Staten Islanders are the polar opposite of the typically liberal leaning voters hailing from the 1960's New York welfare invasion who seek one free lunch after another. The other dominant group in this area is the 1990's liberal white collar invasion/Manhattan liberal who wants to feel good about themselves while having little experience with poverty and crime. These people vote liberal because their affluence protects them from the toxic effects of the programs they favor.

Very succint and spot on! Limousine liberals plus freeloaders. What a combo!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:52 PM

588 posts, read 944,320 times
Usually I'm the last one to defend SI but here goes. As a native Staten Islander I can't stand the current republican leadership (Molinari/Molinaro) as well the large amount of goons who live here but stop with the elitist nonsense. Some people on the forum act as if you aren't "elightened" if you vote McCain. There are many states that view NYC and Calf. as stuck up liberal cesspools. Not everyone views Obama as the savior. Also, remember that racism goes both ways.
PS. I didn't vote for either candidate.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,760,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!!We do not need people like you here. The "trash dump" that you are referring to has been closed for about 5 years, and is going to be a beautiful park. Your ignorance or lack of knowledge shows how much you know about this island.
Your status says "CALIFORNIA DREAMING"

So what is wrong with Staten Island? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City