Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,799 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am in desperate need of some help. This is all so overwhelming. I am moving before Christmas and the research is driving me insane. I am looking for an inexpensive, safe neighborhood to raise my 2yr old son, good daycare/school, easy commute to the city. I am in search of a place in NJ or NY and the apartment would be for a family of 3 (2adults 1 child). Can anyone stare me in the right direction? Just thinking about it I start freaking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 04:19 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,889,131 times
Can you give us a budget, please? The adjective 'inexpensive' doesn't really describe this area...

Old 11-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Our budget is $1500. Appreciate your help

Old 11-07-2008, 04:27 PM

821 posts, read 1,035,290 times
Brooklyn!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:05 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,318,728 times
Southern Bergen in NJ like Lodi, garfield, Lyndhurst or Fort Lee, Leonia, the ridgefields

maybe even Bayonne, kearny, secaucus in hudson

gonna need to call a real estate agent to find out more about those nabes, or try craigslist, or zillow

Old 11-07-2008, 08:19 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,317,173 times
Fort Lee is convenient, has decent scools, and is affordable. How long of a commute is tolerable for you? It is possible to find a 2BR apartment in a subdivided house in some good areas of New Jersey that are a little further out. Some of these areas, all of which have very good to excellent schools, include: Summit, Westfield, Madison, and Cranford.

Summit is about 25 miles to Midtown; Westfield is about 20 miles; Madison is 28 miles; and Cranford is about 23 miles from Midtown, driving distance.

Some of these communities are quite expensive, but rentals do exist around $1500 a month in subdivided houses in Summit, for example. And, the schools are excellent, communities are safe, and many are very family-oriented. They may be a little bit of a commute, but they are nice suburban towns and cities where a young family would feel very much at home.

I can imagine your stress in moving in such a short time window, compounded by the whims of a toddler, but you should be able to find a nice new community to enjoy in the NYC area. NJTransit does a good job for commuting to Manhattan, and you're close to major highways in much of NNJ, so if you have an intersuburban commute, that should not be too much of an issue.

One caveat, however, go by the school district boundaries, since neighboring communities may have different schools, and they're not all the same. It's not uncommon to have a top-tier district in one area, and then another that looks similar a couple of blocks away is zoned for a more average school district. While the areas I have mentioned a bit further out will not give you problems with the schools and communities, you don't want to just jump into a neighboring town because it looks the same, since there can be differences that are not immediately apparent. Since you're renting, this is not as much of an issue as if you were purchasing, but still, you want to minimize the chance that you'd need to move within the area for a better school district.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:28 PM

718 posts, read 2,321,623 times
New Jersey will be the cheapest and most convenient for your price range. Cranford and Nutley are good for what you want

Old 11-11-2008, 04:38 PM

Thank you all for you help and please do not hesitate to make more suggestions

Old 11-11-2008, 04:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,880,373 times
People really seem to forget that Long Island even exists anymore, lol

to the OP--look into Nassau County on LI.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,481,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Brooklyn!
Agree,
Are you going to bring a car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City