Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:20 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
I started a year before her. The reason she had a harder time is because she is elementary. Elementary is EXTREMELY hard to find a job. Special education, math, science, middle school is going to be easier, and you can find jobs in Queens. The OP is Special Education so hopefully she won't have a difficult time.
Okay..well I do wish the OP well. I'll tell you guys, it's not just the teaching profession that is very competitive right now, it's across the board. The economy is hurting real bad right now. I also teach - but adult evening classes and I'm having a tough time getting something even though I've had several years' experience. And in my day accounting job even though I would like to move on to another opportunity, everyone is in a wait and see position right now.

To the OP, don't be discouraged, just persevere and have backup options while you try to get that right match between your academic background and availability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 06:23 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Everything said in jax's post is true of most, if not all, of the US.
I haven't taught in other places, so I can't say it's different, but there is something that is unique in NYC IMO. I went to public schools in Long Island- suburbs outside of NYC and a lot of stuff that occurs here never occured in my schools. I know it's different being on the other side, but still.

There is a difference teaching in urban schools and suburban schools. I prefer teaching in an urban school.

But you have more issues with the children too: poverty, homelessness, gangs, single families, neglect, etc. Yes, suburban kids have these issues too, but it's on a different scale. The overcrowding is also a huge problem. My school can not properly fit all the children we have.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:27 PM

17 posts, read 46,279 times
Thanks for your feedback.

Interesting what your principal says. I plan on sending my resume in January and then following up with schools until the summer. I hope to have a job by June. When did you get hired in your school?

Old 11-08-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakel View Post
Thanks for your helpful post!

So you are in Queens. Do you mind me asking what the name of your school is? Also do you live in Queens as well, and what is that like? I drove through Astoria and loved it. I've been considering living there if I get a job in the area.

I am certified K-12 in special ed. I will do anything but high school. I know middle school age kids are tough but I would be willing to give it a try if hired.

I understand what you are saying about the system being all about appearances. I am working in Connecticut schools now, and EVERYTHING is about CMT scores. I guess that's our NCLB reality, but it gets frustrating.

I will definitely make sure to research and scope out the schools carefully before just jumping into a job. What was your process like? It loks like you have to apply to apply, on the TeachNY site. Is that what you did? When did you get hired?

I speak absolutely no Spanish.. took French in high school.. hopefully this won't be a problem..

One more thing. I've read that teaching especially in NYC can be socially isolating. What do think about that?
I will PM you my school. I live in Queens. I lived in Astoria for awhile and LOVE it. I miss it a lot. I live in Rego Park now by the border of Forest Hills. It's cool too, I just love the vibe of Astoria. I'm from NY. Where are you from? Queens is nice. Western Queens is very urban and you don't need a car. I recommend Astoria, Woodside, Jackson Heights, Sunnyside, parts of LIC, Forest Hills, Rego Park. I recommend teaching in any of those areas as well. I teach in Jackson Heights.

You'll survive with no Spanish, and you might even start to learn some Spanish. Depending on your school population, it might be helpful to learn some basic Spanish words to communicate with parents. Like "Habla mucho" talks too much, or "No Tarea " no homework. hahah but there will be someone to help you translate too.

You can get info on NYC schools at insideschools.org

I joined an alternative program called the NYC Teaching Fellows because I didn't have my undergrad in education. I got my Masters through the program while I taught, so my process was different. I still had to apply to schools and I got hired at a job fair during the summer of 2006.

Socially isolating?? How so? I love my team of teachers that I work with. We are all friends and go out together and are close. I can see how it can be isolating though. Some people can be cliquey, and you basically are working in your room all day so it can be isolating, but try to meet people. Get yourself involved and get help from the other teachers. They can be a great source of information and a shoulder to lean on. Good luck!!!

Oh, and K-12 is great! Middle school will probably be easier for you to get a job it, but just apply to every school, and check them out! Good luck!

Old 11-08-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback.

Interesting what your principal says. I plan on sending my resume in January and then following up with schools until the summer. I hope to have a job by June. When did you get hired in your school?
You might not secure a job by June. Hopefully, but don't get discouraged if you don't. Most people get jobs in the summer. Principals do a lot of hiring in late August. I was able to get a job in the beginning of the summer. I think it was the end of June? So it's possible. I wish you the same! =)

Old 11-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
I will PM you my school. I live in Queens. I lived in Astoria for awhile and LOVE it. I miss it a lot. I live in Rego Park now by the border of Forest Hills. It's cool too, I just love the vibe of Astoria. I'm from NY. Where are you from? Queens is nice. Western Queens is very urban and you don't need a car. I recommend Astoria, Woodside, Jackson Heights, Sunnyside, parts of LIC, Forest Hills, Rego Park. I recommend teaching in any of those areas as well. I teach in Jackson Heights.

You'll survive with no Spanish, and you might even start to learn some Spanish. Depending on your school population, it might be helpful to learn some basic Spanish words to communicate with parents. Like "Habla mucho" talks too much, or "No Tarea " no homework. hahah but there will be someone to help you translate too.

You can get info on NYC schools at insideschools.org

I joined an alternative program called the NYC Teaching Fellows because I didn't have my undergrad in education. I got my Masters through the program while I taught, so my process was different. I still had to apply to schools and I got hired at a job fair during the summer of 2006.

Socially isolating?? How so? I love my team of teachers that I work with. We are all friends and go out together and are close. I can see how it can be isolating though. Some people can be cliquey, and you basically are working in your room all day so it can be isolating, but try to meet people. Get yourself involved and get help from the other teachers. They can be a great source of information and a shoulder to lean on. Good luck!!!

Oh, and K-12 is great! Middle school will probably be easier for you to get a job it, but just apply to every school, and check them out! Good luck!
I finally figured out how to reply with quote!! Wow...

Anyway..

Queens sounds nice - should be cheaper than Manhattan. Astoria is appealing to me because it's SO shockingly close to Manhattan. Most of my family now lives on the Upper East Side so I know visiting them would be easy!

I am from suburban CT, so I know NYC teaching will be a big change - but I like that! I want change and I want excitement. I like diversity. I find it fascinating to learn about different people and cultures. And what better place for that than NYC.

As far as the social isolation, I have heard that because of the different work hours, being in a female-dominated job, having no company outlet or parties to go to, being in a class with kids all day, etc. I am sure though, that it is what you make of it. I really won't know that many people in NYC other than family - so I'm sure I will have to get involved in something outside of teaching to meet people.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:07 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,985 times
Quote:

Anyway..

Queens sounds nice - should be cheaper than Manhattan. Astoria is appealing to me because it's SO shockingly close to Manhattan. Most of my family now lives on the Upper East Side so I know visiting them would be easy!

I am from suburban CT, so I know NYC teaching will be a big change - but I like that! I want change and I want excitement. I like diversity. I find it fascinating to learn about different people and cultures. And what better place for that than NYC.

As far as the social isolation, I have heard that because of the different work hours, being in a female-dominated job, having no company outlet or parties to go to, being in a class with kids all day, etc. I am sure though, that it is what you make of it. I really won't know that many people in NYC other than family - so I'm sure I will have to get involved in something outside of teaching to meet people.
Queens is a fantastic place. It's the most ethnically diverse county in the USA - and the rents are definitely cheaper than in Manhattan.

Regarding ways to counter the isolation that you allude to, can you sign up for an evening continuing ed class at a nearby center just to meet people and double it for getting some tips on a subject that interests you? How about joining a gym? Maybe having family on the UES might also allow you opportunity to meet people.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Queens is a fantastic place. It's the most ethnically diverse county in the USA - and the rents are definitely cheaper than in Manhattan.

Regarding ways to counter the isolation that you allude to, can you sign up for an evening continuing ed class at a nearby center just to meet people and double it for getting some tips on a subject that interests you? How about joining a gym? Maybe having family on the UES might also allow you opportunity to meet people.
This is true. I need to develop more interests and then go after them, joining activities. Would definitely join a gym - I like NYSC. The bar scene can be entertaining, but I would not want to rely on that too much. Do you live in Queens?

Old 11-08-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Anyway..

Queens is great. I love living and working here. Well, at my school I haven't had any social isolation. Like I said, my team is close. We go out for happy hour/parties/ etc often. I love working with them. My school is also huge, probably 130+ in staff, so there are a lot of people to meet. I made some great friends through work. Of course, it will be great to meet people outside of work too! =)

Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
It's pretty rare to be hired in June. Most of the hiring is done in the summer, specifically the later months. Principals don't really know what their budgets for the following year are going to be, which is why they tend to hire later in the summer. When I started interviewing 2 summers ago, my earliest interview was probably mid July. I sent resumes around March and followed through in May/June and was told that I had to wait until summer.

I also live in Astoria in Queens and I like it. It's very close to Manhattan, but my area of the town isn't that crowded/busy at all (I'm off of Ditmars blvd). Even if you get a job in the Bronx, living in Astoria isn't that bad of a commute. I take the bus into Manhattan, then the subway. My commute is around 40-50 minutes. People think I have a really long commute, but I don't since I live right by the Triborough bridge.

As far as school isolation, I experience it at times. I get along fine with the other teachers, but i'm physically isolated from the rest of the teachers since i'm outside in a portable. But in a way it's good, because I'm not a real social person. I miss out on a lot that's happening and said for that reason. But I do miss out on talking with the teachers and don't get a chance to socialize when I want to, since they're a good 5 minute walk on the other side of the school. Don't really have that time in the day to do that, unfortunately. I only really talk to them at meetings when we're all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City