Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 AM

30 posts, read 124,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acanada View Post
Thanks. These are very useful recommendations, that look like they're right up our alley. Do you have recommendations beyond the city?
I dont' have recommendations beyond Manhattan because I've always lived here with my kids even though we've thought about moving over the years. You can pop over to the westchester forum and take a look because there are places there that have very good public schools and yards and are more affordable than places in the city. They have decent commutes on the metro north line and then you could just hop on the green line and get right to union square. That is not our cup of tea, though. I grew up in NJ and there are a bunch of places with decent commutes but many require a bus ride or train ride and then a subway ride and that is not our cup of tea, either. Plus, we have always felt that it is easier to be in the city with small kids because there is more to do whereas the suburbs are more isolating, especially when your kids aren't in school yet.

You might also check out brooklyn heights and park slope and other parts of brooklyn. I have friends there who have liked it and the commute to union square isn't bad. The kids I know there are in private school so you need to look carefully at the public school options if you stay around that long. Another good place to look is Williamsburg which is right on the L train and can get you to Union Square in 15 minutes or so. My littlest one attends preschool on 14th street and there are a number of families there from Williamsburg since it is right on the line. Williamsburg used to be cheaper but it has grown in popularity. It is now sort of trendy with lots of young families. Again, I don't know about the public school situation there. But basically your child is young enough that you will have plenty of time to sort that out.

If you do look in Stuy Town and Peter Cooper and you think you will be around long enough to send your kids to school, be sure to see the apartments that are in District 2 and zoned for PS 40. Apartments in Stuy Town below 16th street are zoned for District 1 and the locally zoned school does not have as good a reputation. I have no firsthand knowledge of the zoned school, however, I am only repeating what I have heard. All the families I know who are zoned for that school send their kids to other schools, public and private. PS 40 is in District 2 and the families I know who send their kids there are very happy with it.

Another place to check out is Battery Park City. It is very lovely but a bit out of the way. However, the whole area is quite green and there are parks for the kids, etc. and it has a spectacular location right on the tip of the Hudson. It used to be no one wanted to live there but it has become quite popular and I think perhaps the rents are now a bit out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 11:58 AM

30 posts, read 124,884 times
my last comment is that the new york times has a very useful and popular online real estate section with fun searching tools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City