Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:50 AM

348 posts, read 1,248,543 times

Advertisements

"And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.
Those were the days....."

Old 11-13-2008, 07:57 AM

To get back to the positive tone of the original post – I just want to point out that this event (and other great things going on in Mott Haven) is ONE STOP from Upper Manhattan. When my friend who lives on the Upper East Side came up for a visit (I took her on the Trolley Tour, and afterwards we had dinner at the Gallery Lounge and drinks at Alexander’s Café and The Bruckner Bar & Grill), she actually got home in 15 minutes. She was home before I even got to Parkchester - which is just a few neighborhoods away from MH. Again, anyone wanting to come up and take a look, just pm Sobroguy!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
You are totally missing the point. Here is my point: y'all are going on about how we should be elated about all these trendy bars, clubs, and restaurants in our neighborhoods. Now, however, you admit that this scene is not geared towards us, but rather, middle-class White kids. See the contradiction in your statements?

The point is that rather than INclusion, which we should aim for, it's just another EXclusive bar/club scene that is geared towards people other than native Bronxites, who disproportionately are Black and Latino. Why are all the new services aimed towards White people who aren't from here? Before we work on luring people from everywhere else and claiming they are all essential to "rebuilding" the Bronx, why don't we get people on boards who DO live here and ARE from here? I don't get it. It makes it seem as if the Bronx will never move forwards without the help of affluent people and Whites, which is totally not true.

P.S.- For the record, I am White myself.
The Bronx is overwhelmingly geared at lower income Black and Hispanics, lower income people in general. It remains by far the cheapest most affordable borough. I don't see a problem with different things popping up for a change in the borough as long as no one is displaced. The Bronx also happens to be the borough most in need of business investment.

What was there before Bruckner Bar took up that spot? It was probably abandoned or was some chop-shop or something.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 11-13-2008 at 08:41 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
To get back to the positive tone of the original post – I just want to point out that this event (and other great things going on in Mott Haven) is ONE STOP from Upper Manhattan. When my friend who lives on the Upper East Side came up for a visit (I took her on the Trolley Tour, and afterwards we had dinner at the Gallery Lounge and drinks at Alexander’s Café and The Bruckner Bar & Grill), she actually got home in 15 minutes. She was home before I even got to Parkchester - which is just a few neighborhoods away from MH. Again, anyone wanting to come up and take a look, just pm Sobroguy!
Thanks so much for your thread and for sharing the photos. I believe that one does not have to advocate a certain lifestyle, moral behavior, political party, be of a specific ethnicity, race, or religion to be happy when any decaying neighborhood is revitalized. Foot traffic leads to more businesses, increased tax revenue enhances neighborhoods and everyone should come out a winner. That so many do not is not to be swept aside. Measures have to be taken to address the concerns of longtime residents.

Those who assail the demographic, economic, and infrastructural changes in our neighborhoods as being a racist, leftist inundation that will replace physical decay with moral decay are using unnecessary hyperbole to address the legitimate concerns of all the parties concerned - both the newcomers and the old timers.

Here in America, we don't stop progress where it is needed for the economic upliftment of our cities, states, or country. We realize that a rising tide should lift all boats, that we increase the size of a pie so there's more to go around not let the pie crumble leaving morsels only for those unable to participate in the reshaping and betterment of their own neighborhoods.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraw View Post
So true. You guys are the ones who will be displaced by these pill popping vegans from the midwest. They can't come to my neighborhood, they can't go to long island,staten island,or dyker heights. They're not accepted and we let them know. They ruined pk slope and greenpinit already. I knew the guy that owned the old brooklyn aquarium on 9th st. Good irish guy,c omes from a family of cops. His family owned that shop for 50+ yrs. Those yuppies and out of town freaks ran him out of town. It wasn't only the rents but the constant complaints they made. I got more for ya. There was an old italian style meat market on 5th ave btwn 8 & 9th. That guys family was there forever. They ran him out of business, they don't eat meat. They cry and ***** about everything. You don't like it? Go back to michigan or ohio and make hemp sweaters. I've ever met one of these people that was out the service, or went to mets games,or was screwed on right. I really think they are outcasts in their hometowns.
Thsi is preciserly what I'm talking about. I 100% agree with you. Notice how most of these "open-minded liberals" are some of the most close-minded, prejudiced, conceited ones of them all?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Great post. That party does look like a pill popping paradise. From the point of view of a dealer that looks like a place where a dealer could make some money. Now change to the point of view to that of a Father and I would not want my daughter going there. It looks like they had to trawl the dregs of 14 mid-western states to assemble that group.
No comment.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:35 AM

Wow, I guess I originally perhaps made a huge mistake in not showing pictures representing the true nature of the customer mix, because obviously some are going to continue to use those pictures as a way to justify what they will continue to believe not matter what. (Again, the pictures I chose originally were the best photographically of the bunch).

However, I very quickly added more to show that this place and others like it are inclusive and welcoming of ALL. It looks like a place where all types of people are doing what young kids do - drinking, dancing and having a blast!!! Regardless of race. Regardless of economic standing. Regardless of whether one is a hipster or a hip-hopper or just your average guy or gal wanting to hang out and have a good time! Jeeze! If people want to continue to see only what they want to see (especially those not from the borough AT ALL), then so be it! But that is NOT the reality and the area getting better every day. AND, most intelligent people will see this thread for what it is. Others - not so much! Feel free to wallow. The rest of us (both on a local AND national level) are enjoying moving forward.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Not taking anysides...

I think the real problem is with what anybody isnt really looking at. The neighborhood. You should look at the history. Yes, investment is good for everyone, but these type of developments dont fit in with the NEIGHBORHOOD. By this im not so much talking about the people, but as to type of spaces. These 7-8-10 story buildings, where there where 2-4 family homes. These buildings remind me of fancy dorm rooms. Just because its new doesnt mean its quality!
If you cared about raising the neighborhood, try looking at HISTORY! I know things can't always be the same, but many of these communities had their hay day. Yes i know demographics might be different, but putting a duane reade where a candy store(history) was isnt help ANY RACE< GENDER OR COLOR of children enjoy their neighborhood. Corporations and "luxury" wont help civic involvement!

Theres plenty of "white" neighborhoods that have veered from their paths. McMansions and Strip malls took them away from what they once where.

Get back to the BASICS.
But don'ty worry. These kind folks who are redeveloping and reinvesting in the area all have our best interests at heart and know what is good for us South Bronxites.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I've got to tell you, Westbury, I know where you're coming from about the history of a neighborhood being important, but your example might not be the best. A Duane Reade drugstore has much, much more importance in meeting the needs of a neighborhood than does a candy store.
But wait, a candy store IS more important to our neighborhoodthan Duane Reade...nose candy that is. J/k

Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 AM

Amen Miles! See what happens when you don't have a mindset that allows you to only think in black and white. Our country (down to our poorest neighborhoods) will only move forward when people start to see the shades of gray inherent in every difficult issue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City