Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:52 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,117 times

Advertisements

Joe, I wasn't directing that at you but at the poster before you. These photos were ones that I chose from tons from Bronx Revolution's website to use on my own photoblog. So, when I posted here, these were the ones that I had already downloaded. I chose the best photographs, period, regardless of what skin color the subjects were. There were several black guests, but the photos were not at all flattering or the best of the bunch photographically speaking (no offense to the two very talented photographers). And by my count, there are several Latinos pictured above.

And quite frankly, one of the reasons I posted this thread in the first place was the absurd racist accusations on another thread by a few posters that the only reason a white person would enter a neighborhood like the South Bronx was to teach, provide social services or to score drugs. This was my photographic evidence that just the opposite can, and is, the case.

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from. But I guess, with some, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Last edited by NYCwoman; 11-12-2008 at 02:00 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Umm...who says none of those people are Hispanic or of color? because they don't fit your stereotype of what people of color look like? Your posts are more nonsense, and if you actually came to the South Bronx, and events like these, you would in fact note the customer base is 1/2 locals, have "other." But hey...why actually LEARN what is happening when you can just continue ASSUMING...seems to be working okay for you so far huh? As I stated before, if anyone actually wants to SEE and LEARN what is happening in the South Bronx they can PM for a tour, as well as attend some of the events to actually SEE that the only way ANY of these bars, clubs, restuarants, etc are thriving is because LOCALS are ALSO supporting the businesses....locals like me, my friends, my family, and others. The locals in the South Bronx are in fact ON BOARD and are HAPPY to have the new retail, bars, restaurants, businesses, services, amenities, housing, and other investments coming to the area. There is always a small but vocal group of complainers...they complain when the area was abandoned.."racism" they shouted...and they complain when investment comes to the area...guess what they shout..."racism!" See a trend here? Come see for yourself..what is happening is a great thing in the South Bronx...it is moving forward BECAUSE of the local support and patronage.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:15 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
Joe, I wasn't directing that at you but at the poster before you. These photos were ones that I chose from tons from Bronx Revolution's website to use on my own photoblog. So, when I posted here, these were the ones that I had already downloaded. I chose the best photographs, period, regardless of what skin color the subjects were. There were several black guests, but the photos were not at all flattering or the best of the bunch photographically speaking (no offense to the two very talented photographers). And by my count, there are several Latinos pictured above.

And quite frankly, one of the reasons I posted this thread in the first place was the absurd racist accusations on another thread by a few posters that the only reason a white person would enter a neighborhood like the South Bronx was to teach, provide social services or to score drugs. This was my photographic evidence that just the opposite can, and is, the case.

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from. But I guess, with some, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Sorry about that NYCwoman, misunderstanding.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:21 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Only 99%? what's funny is that over 2/3 of the Bronx is people of color and this is in the South Bronx and 99% of those people in the photo are White/White Hispanics and Asians (who normally live among Whites). What's wrong there? No Black or Puerto Rican or Dominican folks? And THAT, my friends, is photographic evidence of why most of us are not gung-ho about the "rebuilding" of the South Bronx.
Making a mountain out of a molehill aren't we? Do you think they racially screen people at the door or something?

A lot of Black and Hispanic people just aren't into that scene or that kind of music. Just like you wouldn't expect to see a ton of White people at a Latin club downtown.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:23 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Only 99%? what's funny is that over 2/3 of the Bronx is people of color and this is in the South Bronx and 99% of those people in the photo are White/White Hispanics and Asians (who normally live among Whites). What's wrong there? No Black or Puerto Rican or Dominican folks? And THAT, my friends, is photographic evidence of why most of us are not gung-ho about the "rebuilding" of the South Bronx.
I see some light skinned mixed kids who look like they could easily be Puerto Rican or Dominican... however I must say that some people are so quick to get upset when "white" people (for some reason many people give an exception to white Puerto Ricans though ) live in a neighborhood "of color," but the truth is that these parties about which this thread was started are open to anyone. If the black and Puerto Rican/ Dominican kids "of color" don't show up, that's their problem. Maybe it's them who are less willing to mix with everyone else...

Old 11-12-2008, 02:23 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,117 times
No worries, Joe! And thanks!

Old 11-12-2008, 02:27 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Umm...who says none of those people are Hispanic or of color? because they don't fit your stereotype of what people of color look like? Your posts are more nonsense, and if you actually came to the South Bronx, and events like these, you would in fact note the customer base is 1/2 locals, have "other." But hey...why actually LEARN what is happening when you can just continue ASSUMING...seems to be working okay for you so far huh? As I stated before, if anyone actually wants to SEE and LEARN what is happening in the South Bronx they can PM for a tour, as well as attend some of the events to actually SEE that the only way ANY of these bars, clubs, restuarants, etc are thriving is because LOCALS are ALSO supporting the businesses....locals like me, my friends, my family, and others. The locals in the South Bronx are in fact ON BOARD and are HAPPY to have the new retail, bars, restaurants, businesses, services, amenities, housing, and other investments coming to the area. There is always a small but vocal group of complainers...they complain when the area was abandoned.."racism" they shouted...and they complain when investment comes to the area...guess what they shout..."racism!" See a trend here? Come see for yourself..what is happening is a great thing in the South Bronx...it is moving forward BECAUSE of the local support and patronage.
Let the hatas hate. They aint gon' help NO-body.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Word!

Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
Spank, spank, Miles.
oooohhhh, nycwoman, ooooohhhhh. pleeezzzz, more, pleeez!

Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I see some light skinned mixed kids who look like they could easily be Puerto Rican or Dominican... however I must say that some people are so quick to get upset when "white" people (for some reason many people give an exception to white Puerto Ricans though ) live in a neighborhood "of color," but the truth is that these parties about which this thread was started are open to anyone. If the black and Puerto Rican/ Dominican kids "of color" don't show up, that's their problem. Maybe it's them who are less willing to mix with everyone else...
Yeah, exactly. I doubt there's a "No blacks/hispanics" sign at the door. You can't just grab people off the street and force them come, if they do they do and if they don't, they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City