Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:30 PM

78 posts, read 316,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Nothing to apologize about. It's just something that people who aren't working-class/poor and may not be Black or Hispanic wouldn't understand very well.
So true. You guys are the ones who will be displaced by these pill popping vegans from the midwest. They can't come to my neighborhood, they can't go to long island,staten island,or dyker heights. They're not accepted and we let them know. They ruined pk slope and greenpinit already. I knew the guy that owned the old brooklyn aquarium on 9th st. Good irish guy,c omes from a family of cops. His family owned that shop for 50+ yrs. Those yuppies and out of town freaks ran him out of town. It wasn't only the rents but the constant complaints they made. I got more for ya. There was an old italian style meat market on 5th ave btwn 8 & 9th. That guys family was there forever. They ran him out of business, they don't eat meat. They cry and ***** about everything. You don't like it? Go back to michigan or ohio and make hemp sweaters. I've ever met one of these people that was out the service, or went to mets games,or was screwed on right. I really think they are outcasts in their hometowns.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:35 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
ESO! What Joe Bama said. The problem is not that the majority of the kids were White/light-skinned Hispanics. The issue is that the pictures of the kids in the party is not at all a proper representation of what the South Bronx residents look like. Same with Williamsburg. Tell me, how many Black or PR or Dominican hipsters do you see in the mix? It's 95% White and some light-skinned Hispanics, the quintessential Asians, and a token Black or two. Now, if we were talking about Throgg's Neck or Riverdale or Pelham Parkway, they'd have a point, BUT THIS IS THE SOUTH BRONX. Same thing with Williamsburg: a very mixed, very Puerto Rican, Hasidic, mixed neighborhood but at those little cafes, bars, and clubs, all you really see is Midwestern White kids.

You want to be inclusive? Ever heard of Fashion Moda? That's South Bronx inclusion at it's best. That was backs in the 1980s when the South BRonx was truly no-man's land and you had more inclusion than you do now. C'mon, White kids, Black kids, Puerto Rican kids hanging out and making art together? See what is different about now versus then? I thought we were supposed to be progressing as time went on.
Tis true, tis true. Inclusive is the way to go. We can learn from the mistakes of other recently gentrified neighborhoods and attempt to do it right.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,410 times
It's a New Day!
It's a New Day!
It's a New Day!

Ignore the anger, and the doubt, and the hostility and those who are anchored in the past!
Let's move forward!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:43 PM

And Miles - what can I say! Always the one to add a little levity at the right moment! But calm down, mister. LOL!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:48 PM

And Joe, I couldn't agree more! The Bronx is developing with an eye towards inclusion as Sobroguy has been saying all along. I see it all the time and I'm sorry others act and react out of fear, distrust and hostility. Luckily most people I meet on a day to day basis (both newbies and long time residents of every color and social standing) are yearning to see the Bronx return to what it once was - a safe, beautiful, energetic working class / middle class neighborhood where people can live peacefully with one another despite their color or economic status. A place where everyone can raise their kids, enjoy the amenities that other boroughs have and take pride in their neighborhood. I hope others can get over what was done in the past (or in other boroughs) and see all the good stuff going on. There is room for EVERYBODY here.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
Default south bronx goes whiteboy but druggie whiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraw View Post
So true. You guys are the ones who will be displaced by these pill popping vegans from the midwest. They can't come to my neighborhood, they can't go to long island,staten island,or dyker heights. They're not accepted and we let them know. They ruined pk slope and greenpinit already. I knew the guy that owned the old brooklyn aquarium on 9th st. Good irish guy,c omes from a family of cops. His family owned that shop for 50+ yrs. Those yuppies and out of town freaks ran him out of town. It wasn't only the rents but the constant complaints they made. I got more for ya. There was an old italian style meat market on 5th ave btwn 8 & 9th. That guys family was there forever. They ran him out of business, they don't eat meat. They cry and ***** about everything. You don't like it? Go back to michigan or ohio and make hemp sweaters. I've ever met one of these people that was out the service, or went to mets games,or was screwed on right. I really think they are outcasts in their hometowns.
Great post. That party does look like a pill popping paradise. From the point of view of a dealer that looks like a place where a dealer could make some money. Now change to the point of view to that of a Father and I would not want my daughter going there. It looks like they had to trawl the dregs of 14 mid-western states to assemble that group.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,869 times
Not taking anysides...

I think the real problem is with what anybody isnt really looking at. The neighborhood. You should look at the history. Yes, investment is good for everyone, but these type of developments dont fit in with the NEIGHBORHOOD. By this im not so much talking about the people, but as to type of spaces. These 7-8-10 story buildings, where there where 2-4 family homes. These buildings remind me of fancy dorm rooms. Just because its new doesnt mean its quality!
If you cared about raising the neighborhood, try looking at HISTORY! I know things can't always be the same, but many of these communities had their hay day. Yes i know demographics might be different, but putting a duane reade where a candy store(history) was isnt help ANY RACE< GENDER OR COLOR of children enjoy their neighborhood. Corporations and "luxury" wont help civic involvement!

Theres plenty of "white" neighborhoods that have veered from their paths. McMansions and Strip malls took them away from what they once where.

Get back to the BASICS.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
but putting a duane reade where a candy store(history) was isnt help ANY RACE< GENDER OR COLOR of children enjoy their neighborhood. Corporations and "luxury" wont help civic involvement!
I've got to tell you, Westbury, I know where you're coming from about the history of a neighborhood being important, but your example might not be the best. A Duane Reade drugstore has much, much more importance in meeting the needs of a neighborhood than does a candy store.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Great post. That party does look like a pill popping paradise. From the point of view of a dealer that looks like a place where a dealer could make some money. Now change to the point of view to that of a Father and I would not want my daughter going there. It looks like they had to trawl the dregs of 14 mid-western states to assemble that group.
I was taught at an early age not to judge a book by its cover. But apparantly not everyone grew up with the same "teachers" or values. What a shame....

Old 11-13-2008, 04:47 AM

78 posts, read 316,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
And Joe, I couldn't agree more! The Bronx is developing with an eye towards inclusion as Sobroguy has been saying all along. I see it all the time and I'm sorry others act and react out of fear, distrust and hostility. Luckily most people I meet on a day to day basis (both newbies and long time residents of every color and social standing) are yearning to see the Bronx return to what it once was - a safe, beautiful, energetic working class / middle class neighborhood where people can live peacefully with one another despite their color or economic status. A place where everyone can raise their kids, enjoy the amenities that other boroughs have and take pride in their neighborhood. I hope others can get over what was done in the past (or in other boroughs) and see all the good stuff going on. There is room for EVERYBODY here.
Spoken like a true tranplant. It was never a middle class neighborhood. It was and still is a low income area. Your name itself implies you are a tranplant. What native ny'er would call themselves Nuyorkwoman? Aren't you libs supoosed to be so sympathetic to those from the lower economic strata.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City