Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:09 PM

14 posts, read 37,509 times

Advertisements

How would Elmhurst compare to Woodside? Better or worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:16 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,542,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkar123 View Post
How would this part of Elmhurst compare to Woodside?
I prefer Woodside.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:49 PM

295 posts, read 1,501,400 times
Default nothing like being there...

Go there & check the place out: Check it out during the day & at night. See what you personally like.

The demographics between Woodside & Elmhurst are different & with Rego Park, you are talking a totally different environment.

None of them are scary, but you have to have your street-smarts about you...and I think that goes for pretty much anywhere.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 PM

317 posts, read 1,140,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkar123 View Post
How would Elmhurst compare to Woodside? Better or worse?
Fairly indistinguishable along the border, but different farther out. I like em both - live in Woodside, spent a lot of time in Elmhurst as a kid. Like znycgirl said, best thing to do is check them both out yourself and see which you like better.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,017,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
you're certainly entitled to your opinion and i respect it.. i repeat mine - rego park is esthetic and pleasing to the eyes. i much prefer it to jackson heights for that reason. but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

and i may not come across as too knowledgeable but i can distinguish "ascetic" from "esthetic.' last time i checked there were no stand out in the crowd holy beings around in rego park.

Miles, I guess you didn't notice that I was just playing with the words. But never mind. And yes, you are entitled to your opinion.

If anyone else reading this needs the definition that I was thinking of when I made the comment, here it is, from New Oxford American Dictionary on oxfordreference.com

ascetic: characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence

And yes, that is how I think of the buildings in Rego Park, especially the huge buildings and storefronts on Queens Blvd. Ascetic does not always have to refer to a person, though maybe most of time it does.

Have you ever seen the architecture in the garden district (historic district) of Jackson Heights? That area is renowned for its architecture, gardens, and English garden homes.

Last edited by Henna; 11-13-2008 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,542,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Miles, I guess you didn't notice that I was just playing with the words. But never mind. And yes, you are entitled to your opinion.

If anyone else reading this needs the definition that I was thinking of when I made the comment, here it is, from New Oxford American Dictionary on oxfordreference.com

ascetic: characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence

And yes, that is how I think of the buildings in Rego Park, especially the huge buildings and storefronts on Queens Blvd. Ascetic does not always have to refer to a person, though maybe most of time it does.

Have you ever seen the architecture in the garden district (historic district) of Jackson Heights? That area is renowned for its architecture, gardens, and English garden homes.
Henna, I stand corrected on two counts.

You are an excellent wordsmith and your use of personification in attributing ascetism to the buildings, etc., in Rego Park demonstrates that. Also you are correct that Jackson Heights can indeed be viewed as esthetic and indeed very beautiful in its historic and landmarked garden district. Once one gets past the not so pleasing 74/Roosevelt Avenue vicinity and moves in that direction the area does take on a different and visually appealing aura. The garden apartments are renowned and the many apartment buildings with lovely greenery are indeed inviting.

Rego Park, I daresay, can be viewed as ascetic because of its stateliness, I suppose. But I argue that perhaps it is both austere and esthetic? In any event the OP and other posters do indeed have many wonderful choices of neighborhoods throughout Queens - my favorite borough.

And if I ever run in to you on one of those tranquil streets in either Rego Park or Jackson Heights, you would be within your rights to give me a good spanking for not recognizing your well executed play with the two words.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:01 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,041,730 times
We all agree that Woodside is a better neighborhood than Elmhurst. I would say it is more quiet and the farther you go from Roosevelt Ave the better it gets.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
We all agree that Woodside is a better neighborhood than Elmhurst. I would say it is more quiet and the farther you go from Roosevelt Ave the better it gets.
I'd agree, once a vibrant Irish community it is now probably one of the most ethnically diverse places in the country. 65st between roosevelt and Broadway can be a bit dodgy but overall Woodside is very safe. Elmhurst as stated by someone else seems to have more than its fair share of sleezy's who harrass women. Need to watch out at night.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:30 PM

536 posts, read 2,342,411 times
Well I guess at some point Elmhurst had a bad enough rep that the white part of town changed its zip code to Middle Village's. Either that or fair share of Elmhurst's (former) population is pretty racist ::shrug::

Old 11-14-2008, 03:56 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,041,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Well I guess at some point Elmhurst had a bad enough rep that the white part of town changed its zip code to Middle Village's. Either that or fair share of Elmhurst's (former) population is pretty racist ::shrug::
You are talking about the part of South Elmhurst from the Long Island Expressway going south to Eliot Avenue. That area that you talk about was never bad to begin with. As far as Middle Village goes I would rank it right up there with the best of Queens neighborhoods in terms of quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City