Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Let's not forget that uptown hipsters have a longer commute to get to the hip conference rooms, a la the coffee houses downtown and in Brooklyn, so they are crabby because of longer commutes. Add to that the time taken to stay up to watch reality programming and popular television programs, all in the interest of research, so that they can disdain the right topic the next day, and not appear to be day-old in their pseudo-dislike of anything mainstream, while ignoring the fact by conforming to an organized subculture they are in a sense a subset mainstream culture. And, some secretly like popular programming, since they doth protest too much in their disdain, I find.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 08:21 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
do they wear tight jeans, glittery belts, retro clothes, sunglasses at night, etc
This is hilarious Tuna!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,432 times
^^ does that make Corey Hart a hipster?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:58 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival survivor View Post
the name of the game is be respectful of your surroundings and remember that the African American community in Harlem was there way before these hipster clowns were born in 1988
The overwhelming majority of NYC "hoods" were once areas of working class european immigrants, But we don't want to be politically incorrect, do we?

Quote:
and its not about acting a certain way- its about assimilation to your surroundings- same way if you moved into any neighborhood

people in Harlem don't need a bunch of skinny pants wearing, florescent sunglasses trendhoppers in the neighborhood being obnoxious 24/7/365
If an italian in Bensonhurst wrote this about Blacks, this forum would be in flames. Why the double standard?

i

Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 AM

51 posts, read 244,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The overwhelming majority of NYC "hoods" were once areas of working class european immigrants, But we don't want to be politically incorrect, do we?

If an italian in Bensonhurst wrote this about Blacks, this forum would be in flames. Why the double standard?

i
Dude why are you playing the race card? No one nmetioned white people specifically. And if you want to be poliitically incorrect about it, why dont you mention that New York a.k.a. "5 points" started out as a conglomerate of european "hoods". Conversly there were several working class Black enclaves in New York (Harlem -see Sugar Hill) and Bed Stuy) during the early part of the 20th century. Why don't you mention that minorties were not permitted to get the VA LOANS that help edmany "working class" europeans immigrants get out of the hood? Why not mention that minorities were BARRED from these very same suburban oasises - see Levitown. As you probably already should working class isn't synomous with a particular ehtnic group - ditto for hoods. Sorry if I was being politically incorrect...

Old 11-20-2008, 08:32 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodey View Post
Dude why are you playing the race card? No one nmetioned white people specifically. And if you want to be poliitically incorrect about it, why dont you mention that New York a.k.a. "5 points" started out as a conglomerate of european "hoods". Conversly there were several working class Black enclaves in New York (Harlem -see Sugar Hill) and Bed Stuy) during the early part of the 20th century. Why don't you mention that minorties were not permitted to get the VA LOANS that help edmany "working class" europeans immigrants get out of the hood? Why not mention that minorities were BARRED from these very same suburban oasises - see Levitown. As you probably already should working class isn't synomous with a particular ehtnic group - ditto for hoods. Sorry if I was being politically incorrect...

I know the history. Blacks and Latinos have gotten a raw deal with regards to housing and I feel it should be addressed. However, addressing it with coded racism is not the answer.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:32 AM

61 posts, read 233,501 times
You know, I was talking to some friends about the rise in "Urban Hipsters" lately, and my feeling was it's a good thing. Whether it's a group of teens in oversized phat farm tshirts and ludicrously baggy pants, or a group of teens in undersized ironic slogan tshirts and ludicrously tight pants...I still think they look like douchebags. The difference is, if they're focusing energy on skate boarding, and idolizing who got the rainbowest (wow, spell check let that go) sneakers instead of just standing on the corner, idolizing who got the best crack sales...at least it's a step in the right direction.

But that's just me.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 AM

821 posts, read 1,039,662 times
Its not about clothing styles or race, its not about hipsters.
Its about displacement and the destruction of tight communities broken down by the lack of money and power.
Its about disrespectful transplants, Real estate developers, real estate agents, city planners, rezoners, yuppies, land lords, muffin shops, ironic bars, fancy restaurants, soy milk, and gourmet delis are the problem.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 AM

456 posts, read 1,396,972 times
Default Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Its about displacement and the destruction of tight communities broken down by the lack of money and power.
Its about disrespectful transplants, Real estate developers, real estate agents, city planners, rezoners, yuppies, land lords, muffin shops, ironic bars, fancy restaurants, soy milk, and gourmet delis are the problem.

OP here...

I agree for the most part, although I do love a soy milk latte and a nice big blueberry muffin from time to time. My question was about the attitudes of hipsters here in Harlem. I think the thread has gotten a bit off the topic because some of us are projecting all sorts of racism into the picture. As I have said before, hipsters come from all races and cultures. If they are going to move into the neighborhood then why must the majority of them be so rude and disdainful? I've been doing some online research, and the majority of the articles I've read state that being critical and disdainful ("ironically" of course) is a part of their determination to be "cool"--uber cool. So, many of them set themselves up as being "different" and therefore better than the supposed mainstream. Trying so desperately to be the counter-culture they have actually become like a high school clique that looks down on other people, especially anyone who is not like them. This is sad. I hope it passes, and soon.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:43 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Wow I feel as though you are talking about me since I am glad that we now have some of the upscale delis and I can buy soy milk, without leaving my neighborhood like I used to, and I also take someone out to lunch or dinner if they visit me if I don't have time to prepare it myself without going far from home.

I born in Harlem, raised partly in the Bronx and back to Harlem. I had the chance to get my first cheap apt in Harlem and continue to advance in my career and buy an buy an apt in a building that we all cooped and fixed up together at a time when hipsters weren't venturing uptown. This was not long ago 1990's. I feel sad that others won't have that opportunity in the neighborhoods like Harlem around the city.

Indie9: The title of your thread expresses so much what I used to feel because Harlem was my refuge from racism and classism downtown at work. Even though I am really light and white looking I am not white. Now it is different a lot of the old ones retired or moved on and the people my age and younger don't care about that old stuff.

When I would get off the subway at 125th and 145th there were a lot of challenges to deal with but racism and classism wasn't one of them. So I don't like going home and dealing with that also. But then again as someone pointed out I don't like going home dealing with that large criminal element that was there before either. So given a choice the hipsters are a lot easier to deal with on some levels. At first there was more tension in Harlem when things started to change, now they have settled down and people are working together.

I still don't like that some of the newer people only intend to stay for a short period and don't have the ties to the community that the rest of us have, and that the ones with the ties, cannot afford to rent in stabilized, or market rate apts, or to buy. I don't see this challenge ending or going away. I hope that there can be some solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City