Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best/prettiest/coolest?
Lower Manhattan skyline 61 31.77%
Midtown skyline 131 68.23%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:08 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,077,417 times

Advertisements

NYCs skyline is better than hong kongs because it has both quantity and quality. Nobody here can recognize a single building in hk. And its skyline is not the first to come up when u think of the word, new york's is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 01:41 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,422,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Midtown. Right now Lower Manhattan isn't much. Other than the WTC, it's never been much. Looked like Pittsburgh or something.
Yea it does look like Pittsburgh--if Pittsburgh's skyline was ten times larger and and their buildings averaged 800 feet.

Both Midtown and Lower are amazing. Obviously Lower Manhattan lost a bit of luster with the destruction of the WTC, but it's still the third best skyline in America. Right now I'd put Midtown as the best skyline. However, once the new WTC are built, I would put that as the #1 skyline. I have always loved the chaotic old streets of Lower Manhattan over the grid system of NYC and Chicago.

So for now, Midtown #1 ... in 2014, Lower

Please tell me I'm wrong: http://www.wtc.com/media/images/s/wt...enderings-2008

Old 04-09-2009, 05:37 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,382,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea it does look like Pittsburgh--if Pittsburgh's skyline was ten times larger and and their buildings averaged 800 feet.

Both Midtown and Lower are amazing. Obviously Lower Manhattan lost a bit of luster with the destruction of the WTC, but it's still the third best skyline in America. Right now I'd put Midtown as the best skyline. However, once the new WTC are built, I would put that as the #1 skyline. I have always loved the chaotic old streets of Lower Manhattan over the grid system of NYC and Chicago.
I agree 100%

Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,282,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Very well stated. Considering we're just two hours outside of Manhattan most people in my area either knew someone who perished on 9/11 or knew of someone who was affected by it. I'll never forget where I was that day (9th grade Geometry class) when we had our teacher turn our television on to observe the horrors of that fateful Tuesday morning. It was very insensitive to imply that all Manhattan lost that day was "two Lego blocks." I personally prefer Chicago's skyline to Manhattan's, hence why I won't vote here, but I just wanted to get that off of my chest.
ScranBarre,

Well, that's Chicago for you... They hold the grudge because despite all that alarming talk terrorist did not even bother with Chi-Town.
Chicago will talk forever about the great fire but 9/11? It did not happen in Chicago so it is not important.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:50 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,282,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Lower Manhattan Average? Please, even if you put it in the middle of Kansas it would be incredible. Its anything but average. It has so much history and diversity among architecture
Absolutely. Also, Lower Manhattan has this unique very old feel generated by its narrower streets and then Battery Park, Chinatown, Little Italy, Greenwich and East Village, Soho and Tribeca - incredible very diverse neighborhoods. I would go with Lower because it's my favorite part of Manhattan.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:00 PM

25 posts, read 50,253 times
I didn't answer the poll because if I can say it's not really right in a way to ask that question of the skyline in particular because of the World Trade Center nightmare that happened.
That's how I feel about such a question regarding Manhattan and which part has 'the best,coolest,prettiest skyline' at this date and time. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:18 PM

25 posts, read 50,253 times
Okay I think I will change my answer I posted,tho' I still feel that way too.

I would have to say lower Manhattan,for this reason,the water! I love approaching Manhattan on the ferry or Circleline for example. Or sitting at the 69th st pier,or at the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights.

(I didn't mean to not like your poll,it just seems like an unanswerable choice in a way because of what happened downtown.)

Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 PM

7,054 posts, read 19,257,267 times
This will help Lower Manhattan along:

Old 04-10-2009, 03:23 AM

734 posts, read 2,049,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Lower Manhattan averages 800 feet?

Old 04-10-2009, 03:55 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,671,076 times
Lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City