U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:55 PM

138 posts, read 570,761 times

Advertisements

So, my roommate and i saw a few apts today. 2 were in bushwick, a block apart, nice looking outside and inside, pretty much nicest interior and most spacious we've seen, and it was about 1 or 2 blocks from the wilson ave L train.
the next apt we saw was one stop over, near the corner of wyckoff and decatur, also nice inside and out (tho the block was kinda industrial, there were two huge trucks parked in front of the apt) this was considered ridgewood. we like both about the same.
Now the apts are about 8 or 9 blocks away from each other.
when we told my roomies uncle about the apts, he nearly had a heart attack saying bushwick is the ghetto, theres high crime, etc. but he says ridgewood is soooo nice, go to ridgewood. but really 8 blocks difference? is it really that the criminals dont want to walk into queens territory? this seems ridiculous to me.
my observation is that both areas looked very much like what i think of brooklyn, gritty, some litter n such, mixed crowd of people, lots of chinese food, spanish food, bodegas, etc. we went to both apts during the day and a night and saw no crime (unlike our past trip to the bronx) no drug dealing, no one bothered us.

so i guess i'm wondering from everyone if you personally had to choose... what would you choose the bushwick nr ridgewood border or ridgewood near bushwick border apts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:57 PM

30,019 posts, read 42,777,571 times
i highly advise you to not look at anything close to the wilson avenue stop on the L train.

they call around there "the dark side" and i'm not making this up.
very high gang presence in the area.
if you go around there at night you will most likely change your mind.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 PM
R32

31 posts, read 210,952 times
Ridgewood is much nicer/safer than Bushwick, I hear that a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i highly advise you to not look at anything close to the wilson avenue stop on the L train.

they call around there "the dark side" and i'm not making this up.
very high gang presence in the area.
if you go around there at night you will most likely change your mind.
Ha. My friend once went to check out an apt off wilson and said it was ghetto, but she already lives in bushwick, off the JMZ. I'll have to check it out over there. I've only been as far as Jefferson on the L (as far as bushwick goes)

Is wilson the first stop above ground? I thought it was funny that the first stop above ground on the L theres a cemetery.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 PM

30,019 posts, read 42,777,571 times
wilson avenue is weird.
the brooklyn bound track is above ground, but the manhattan bound track is below ground. due to lack of space, the brooklyn bound track runs directly above the manhattan bound track.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-17-2008, 10:11 PM

does that 8 blocks into ridgewood really make a difference? it looked the same, just as gritty, and kinda desolate, like walking at night on the trian, id rather walk where people are, then down a semi deserted road, where no one will hear me scream when im attacked. lol

Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 PM
R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazattack View Post
does that 8 blocks into ridgewood really make a difference? it looked the same, just as gritty, and kinda desolate, like walking at night on the trian, id rather walk where people are, then down a semi deserted road, where no one will hear me scream when im attacked. lol
No ones going to care if you scream, but you should move where ever YOU feel safer. Visit them both at night.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,349,914 times
The "better" area in that vicinity(the Bushwick area) is near Wyckoff Hospital, north of Wyckoff Av. along and into the northwest border(Cypress Av.) of Ridgewood.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 PM

thats the thing i saw them both at 9 tonight... maybe no one was out because its cold, but i saw nothing that bothered me.
now my trip to a neighborhood outside parkchester in the bronx was a diff story, i drove away but nearly saw some guy get beat to death by some guy screaming "you dont **** with the bloods" that was fun
even better was the landlord that called my roommate a bimbo because we were 15 minutes late.

i love being poor in ny

Old 11-17-2008, 10:22 PM
R32

Yeah bad neighborhoods are the best during the cold months haha. It's a whole different story in the summer.

If being called a bimbo and seeing people get jumped bothers you though perhaps you shouldn't live in bushwick.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 PM

eh its what i can afford. we're looking elsewhere, but its hard being poor. we thought the bimbo thing was hilarious, to be called a bimbo by a landlord! awesome. and the watching ppl get jumped is fine as long as it isnt me.

where do u suggest on a $1200 2 bd budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City