Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:07 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Well, I donated $2, and that was with intention of going back again to see another section of the museum, which I never did.

I know this is slighty off topic, but is or is not the Natural History Museum on a donation system, too? Because when I went there I didn't see a sign anywhere mentioning this, although I read somewhere that it was. So I forked over my $, then the admission clerk thanked me for it (?).
I believe it is but they try not to advertise that fact to adults as they want as many people paying full price as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 11:51 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I wish it all were as nice and clean as Bluesbabe describes. But I'm afraid it's not true. Antiquities trading is not a fair game.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert on antiquities trading. And if those Chinese pieces were to return to their origins then they should be protected in museums there. Re-burying would most likely encourage even more looting.

But I'm glad that Saobi had the opportunity to see the exhibit, although it is obvious that he fought mixed feelings over it.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:42 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
I just read in the paper this morning that more pieces from the Metropolitan are going back to Italy.

I wouldn't be surprised in the coming years if China doesn't start demanding certain pieces with sketchy provenances.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:15 AM

821 posts, read 1,039,815 times
More recently, during the invasion of Iraq, so many priceless artifacts were destroyed and stolen.
Its terrible the blatant disrespect people have for entire civilizations still to this day.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
The trade in works of art with unsubstantiated provenance is nothing new, and sometimes museums have been unwittingly complicit in this regard. Until recently, many did not do their own investigation other than to authenticate the piece, not as to how the donor obtained the merchandise, or the dealer who sold it to them. There have been scandals at the best auction houses regarding this, so the industry is starting to take a more critical eye.

Just look at all of the art looted by the Nazis that has yet to be accounted for, much less restored to its rightful owners. Parts of the Goudstikker collection have been recovered in recent years, many from museums, but this is a case that has had an art detective scouring the catalogs, collections, backrooms, and vaults to find some of the pieces. In that kind of a case, it's easier to substantiate from whom the works were taken and to whom they should be returned, whereas with antiquities that may have been legitimately purchased from an auction house, or even in some cases government officials, it's more of a grey area in the provenance, hence the many legal battles that have ensued over title to such pieces.

With some pieces, it is fairly easy to ascertain that they were originally obtained through illicit means, but others are not. And, just because a subsequent regime has decided that the item is rightfully theirs and a cultural treasure does not make it such that all examples out of the country have to be repatriated if it was legal trade when the original transaction took place. Museums that display authentic works of art are not all guilty of illicit trade, and many are legally owned by the collection or the collections on loan for display.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
Pay the full price for goodness sake.
Not everyone can afford a $20 admission fee.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM

821 posts, read 1,039,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Not everyone can afford a $20 admission fee.
Besides its supported by so many Blue Blooded Americans so that everyone can see it. They have so much money they feel guilty about it, so they donate to make themselves feel better and get tax breaks.
Art should be free to view.
If you are rich pay, if not pay what you can afford. Thats my philosophy.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:29 PM

101 posts, read 162,910 times
Also, in the modern painting section. There is a large painting with just random scribbles on it. A worker can accidentally spill paint over it, and the next day no one will notice, and they'll still say "Ah, what a great painting".

What is the meaning of modern abstract painting? And is this not "emperor's new clothes"?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Also, in the modern painting section. There is a large painting with just random scribbles on it. A worker can accidentally spill paint over it, and the next day no one will notice, and they'll still say "Ah, what a great painting".

What is the meaning of modern abstract painting? And is this not "emperor's new clothes"?
The same worker could break an entire arm off a Greek statue and the next day no one would notice.

What is the meaning of Greek statues?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:07 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
Cy Twombly always makes people mad, me included. But his work is beautiful....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City