Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:34 AM

15 posts, read 60,802 times

Advertisements

I moved 6 months ago in East Elmhurst, NY in a 1 small bedroom BASEMENT APARTMENT, utilities included, there is NO LEASE. The landlord increase my rent by 10% which is $100 & the reason that he is increasing the rent is that everything went up not to mention that he DOES NOT want me to COOK anything that has to do with fish or seafood because the smell stays in his house for 2-days & if we don’t like it then we could just move out but to let him know 1-month in advance. I live there with my husband only & we are hardly at home just at night during the weekday & the whole day in weekend. We always pay our rent on time & even before the due date. We asked him before we deicide to rent the apartment if there were any rules, according to him there were not any. Is it ok for him to raise my rent all of sudden & tell me what I should be cooking? Is it normally 4% of the rent on regular apartments? Please advise ASAP.

Thank you for your help,
Confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 11:36 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
you are not rent stabilized, therefore i believe he is bound bound by rent regulation laws since you did not sign a lease. was it a verbal agreement?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-19-2008, 11:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebbles829 View Post
I moved 6 months ago in East Elmhurst, NY in a 1 small bedroom BASEMENT APARTMENT, utilities included, there is NO LEASE. The landlord increase my rent by 10% which is $100 & the reason that he is increasing the rent is that everything went up not to mention that he DOES NOT want me to COOK anything that has to do with fish or seafood because the smell stays in his house for 2-days & if we don’t like it then we could just move out but to let him know 1-month in advance. I live there with my husband only & we are hardly at home just at night during the weekday & the whole day in weekend. We always pay our rent on time & even before the due date. We asked him before we deicide to rent the apartment if there were any rules, according to him there were not any. Is it ok for him to raise my rent all of sudden & tell me what I should be cooking? Is it normally 4% of the rent on regular apartments? Please advise ASAP.

Thank you for your help,
Confused
I see you bent over a barrel without a lease or a verbal agreement enforceable in a court of law regarding rents, no rules riders about cooking, etc.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:59 AM

132 posts, read 528,671 times
If there is no lease, does that mean that any agreement means nothing? Presumably, you could leave at any time, or he could kick you out at any time, since there is nothing legal saying that you're a tenant there.
If not rent stabilized, a landlord can raise the rent when a lease expires as much as they wish.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:19 PM

824 posts, read 2,790,795 times
If you do not have a written lease, my understanding is that you are by default a month-to-month tenant, and either party, for any reason (other than discrimination against a protected class), can end the arrangement upon 30 days written notice. And since it is apparently a free-market apartment (not rent stabilized) he is not bound by rent regulation laws. He would be bound of course by other landlord/tenant laws such as ensuring that it is a legal apartment. So while I don't think he can unilaterally make a rule that you can't cook what you please (because when we rent an apartment it is assumed that we can cook what we please), he can evict you for not liking the smells of your cooking. That's the good and the bad of being a month-to-month tenant. If want greater protection, get a written lease.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 PM

195 posts, read 741,330 times
If the basement apartment is considered to be "illegal," your landlord is basically can't do anything. Kicking you out is illegal. Suing you in the court is also "waste of time" due to the fact that the basement apartment is illegal. In your case, you are not allowed to cook, so it sounds like your apartment is illegal. The only thing you have to worry is that he might cut off the water supply now and then..or refusing you to have heat now and then. Little things that he can do to "bother" you. Other than that, he really can't raise your rent. First thing first, find out if your apartment is legal or not, but my estimate is that your apartment is illegal! Talk to your lawyer first before you do anything. I hope this will help!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:37 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
If you do not have a written lease, my understanding is that you are by default a month-to-month tenant, and either party, for any reason (other than discrimination against a protected class), can end the arrangement upon 30 days written notice. And since it is apparently a free-market apartment (not rent stabilized) he is not bound by rent regulation laws. He would be bound of course by other landlord/tenant laws such as ensuring that it is a legal apartment. So while I don't think he can unilaterally make a rule that you can't cook what you please (because when we rent an apartment it is assumed that we can cook what we please), he can evict you for not liking the smells of your cooking. That's the good and the bad of being a month-to-month tenant. If want greater protection, get a written lease.
Sorry, this is true.
If I were you: I'd let the landlord cool down, and agree to open windows and ventilate better (maybe with a fan) when you are cooking. If you like the apartment (and if you rented it...I hope you do), try not to make enemies...this may be easily solvable.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Default nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
If the basement apartment is considered to be "illegal," your landlord is basically can't do anything. Kicking you out is illegal. Suing you in the court is also "waste of time" due to the fact that the basement apartment is illegal. In your case, you are not allowed to cook, so it sounds like your apartment is illegal. The only thing you have to worry is that he might cut off the water supply now and then..or refusing you to have heat now and then. Little things that he can do to "bother" you. Other than that, he really can't raise your rent. First thing first, find out if your apartment is legal or not, but my estimate is that your apartment is illegal! Talk to your lawyer first before you do anything. I hope this will help!
Come on....if the apartment is illegal (it may be) you will be forced to move anyway (by the city until the landlord, if possibe, legalizes it)...same predicament you are already in. If there is a legal basement apt, you will probably be paying much higher rent secondary to the COST of legalization.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:53 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times
Key words: No Lease.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:14 PM

195 posts, read 741,330 times
Default znycgirl--you are wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by znycgirl View Post
Come on....if the apartment is illegal (it may be) you will be forced to move anyway (by the city until the landlord, if possibe, legalizes it)...same predicament you are already in. If there is a legal basement apt, you will probably be paying much higher rent secondary to the COST of legalization.
Who would report it? The landlord would not be the one, nor do I think the renters would do so! If it was illegal, she could get a "free" basement apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: