Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:43 PM

61 posts, read 233,470 times

Advertisements

Is there a reliable means to determine the crime rates for a given area? I've been looking through these forums, and it seems that any given area has people saying "It's not so bad" or "run!!! run while you can!!!" Is there a site or a listing of various crimes? I've taken a look at a crime map that someone posted elsewhere, but it seems to only go up to 2005.

I just got done looking at a co-op on e132nd btwn Madison & 5th, and aside from some people loitering it seemed nice enough. But as I work from 4-midnight, I don't want to worry about coming home at 1AM, or parking my car on the street.

I've lived in NYC my whole life except for 4 years away in the Army, but most of that was in the suburbs. I don't care if a neighborhood is perfect, I just don't want to worry about having problems even if I just keep to myself.

So like I said, is there a reliable way to gauge the safety, police presence, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,323 times
Talk to long time residents. Go to community centers and churchs. Get a first hand view and opinion from real time residents.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Yeah I tried that. I walked a couple of blocks in every direction, spoke to the people...but it seems like (and this is true of everyplace I've looked...) everyone always answers the same. "Meh, it ain't that bad". I guess there aren't a whole lot of people willing to say "Yeah, I live here...man it sucks"

Old 11-19-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desco View Post
Yeah I tried that. I walked a couple of blocks in every direction, spoke to the people...but it seems like (and this is true of everyplace I've looked...) everyone always answers the same. "Meh, it ain't that bad". I guess there aren't a whole lot of people willing to say "Yeah, I live here...man it sucks"
"Meh" from the Simpsons was just officially added to the dictionary!
But anyway, did you try Council members? Talk to priests?
Random people on the street are good, but try some community bases.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:15 PM

Please, you don't get to be a nerd of my caliber without knowing when meh became a word.

But good idea on the priests and whatnot. There's a church right on the corner. I think I'm going to drive there at like 2AM to see how things look...I mean everyplace seems nice at 2pm on a Wednesday.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:19 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,138 times
Yeah, walk around late at night and see if you're comfortable.

Crime can happen everywhere. While I think my block is safe, we had a number of shootings here over the summer. Safety is subjective.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
Yeah, walk around late at night and see if you're comfortable.

Crime can happen everywhere. While I think my block is safe, we had a number of shootings here over the summer. Safety is subjective.
Did random people get shot, like walking home from work?
I definately wouldn't feel safe if random innocent people got shot on numerous occassions on my block.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:31 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
Default Well I live...

in N Central Riverdale on Broadway between W 252 treet and Lakeview Place, an area where crime rarely happens and the police precinct is one of the safest in the city

However a few months ago a gang surrounded someone and robbed them on Lakeview and someone was robbed at knifepoint on 252 street outside the service entrance to my bldg

The moral of the story is that if it can happen here...

Old 11-19-2008, 04:38 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,821 times
"bad" to one person might not be a big deal to another. Go to the NYPD website and take a look at the crime stats in the precinct you are in.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:28 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,849 times
if you see lots of yuppies/hipsters then you can rest assure you wont get mugged, shot up, or kidnapped

if it is below central park in manhattan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City