Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:50 AM

536 posts, read 2,349,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
" The Village" is considered Greenwich Village or the West Village? I though the OP was talking about the West Village like around west 12 and 9/10ave. i would choose the West Village over the East Village if the OP can afford it.
That's what I meant. West of MacDougal or 6th or wherever you'd like to draw the boundary. I'm just saying I've lived east of there and it's not what comes to mind when you hear the words "the Village."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 AM

132 posts, read 528,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you had done an acutal apartment search where you go and meet with the broker and actually see the apartment, then I might believe this. Otherwise, I prefer to believe anecdotes I have heard from people who have done a real (not online) search.

You might enjoy this article from last spring in the Times. It starts out by saying:
"THE dream: finding a one-bedroom, one-bath apartment in an elevator building with a doorman in Greenwich Village for $2,000 a month.

The reality: nearly impossible."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/re...gewanted=print
Is a building a dump if it doesn't have a doorman and elevator? I hardly see any apartment ads in Queens that mention having an elevator. The article mentions the average studio price being $2200. That means that for every $2500 studio, there is one that costs $1900.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:26 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
Is a building a dump if it doesn't have a doorman and elevator? I hardly see any apartment ads in Queens that mention having an elevator. The article mentions the average studio price being $2200. That means that for every $2500 studio, there is one that costs $1900.

Who said a building is a dump if it doesn't have a doorman or an elevator? I must have missed that in the article.

What I am responding to is the OP's assertion that she has done her research and is seeing plenty of nice one bedroom apartments in good areas of Manhattan that are under $2000.

My point is, she hasn't done her research - looking at apartment listings on craigslist may give you a sort of general sense of the market and of course it makes sense to look there, but as anyone who has done an actual apartment search knows, what you see online and what the broker actually shows you are two separate things entirely.

Anyone who thinks they can move to Manhattan on a nurse's salary and live comfortably in a nice apartment in the village is in for a huge reality check.

If OP thinks she might be able to find a liveable studio on the Upper East Side for under $2000, well, that's a different story. But that's not what I'm hearing on this thread. I'm hearing someone who doesn't understand the realities of renting in Manhattan.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:38 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
If you could get one for $2000, go for the area in Chelsea, Manhattan then.
seconded. you could try to get a job @ st vinnies. good luck finding something there for $2000. i wonder if they still have staff housing. i don't think so though....

Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingNurse View Post
Just a message for those of you who are looking for something to rent in Manhattan, I have been looking over apt listings at or below the $2000 area and there are plenty in Chelsea, Midtown, Gramercy Park, etc. They are studio or 1 bed room and they are by no means "dumps" either. I keep seeing posts that Manhattan apts start at 3-4K/mo. This is not the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Don't be fooled by the ads. These are often 'bait-and-switch.' A nice studio will go for at least $2000/month in Manhattan.
Quote:
If you had done an acutal apartment search where you go and meet with the broker and actually see the apartment, then I might believe this. Otherwise, I prefer to believe anecdotes I have heard from people who have done a real (not online) search.

You might enjoy this article from last spring in the Times. It starts out by saying:
"THE dream: finding a one-bedroom, one-bath apartment in an elevator building with a doorman in Greenwich Village for $2,000 a month.

The reality: nearly impossible."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/re...gewanted=print
Dear Wyoming, I know how easy it is for an out-of -towner to be misled by online apartment ads. I suggest you take those with a grain of salt. Henna and Viralmd are being realistic in the info/observations they are making. The ads are very misleading regarding availability/type/size/price/location. Unfortunately, even native New Yorkers sometimes get misled by these craftily penned ads.

Unless you are struck with a lightning of good fortune, it will be indeed be rare to find a decent, livable 1 bedroon for less than $2000 in most parts of Manhattan - including the areas you mentioned.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:41 AM

132 posts, read 528,841 times
Quote:
Who said a building is a dump if it doesn't have a doorman or an elevator? I must have missed that in the article.

What I am responding to is the OP's assertion that she has done her research and is seeing plenty of nice one bedroom apartments in good areas of Manhattan that are under $2000.

My point is, she hasn't done her research - looking at apartment listings on craigslist may give you a sort of general sense of the market and of course it makes sense to look there, but as anyone who has done an actual apartment search knows, what you see online and what the broker actually shows you are two separate things entirely.
You make a good point. But I was responding to the text you quoted as evidence against the OP saying they've seen ads for apartments that are not "dumps" and around $2000. The quote nor the article really say anything of that sort. It actually supports what the OP mentioned of apartments "at or below $2000" for a "one bedroom or studio".

Old 11-21-2008, 08:41 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
The article mentions the average studio price being $2200. That means that for every $2500 studio, there is one that costs $1900.
Logically, yes, that would stand to hold true, but rent controls are in place in NYC, such that market rate apartments are much higher and the controlled/stabilized apartments skew the data. It's possible to take over a stabilized apartment around that price, yes, but one will have to pay a very hefty broker's fee to do so, since they just about have a lock on such places. So, the average rent means next to nothing if it's not exclusively a market-based calculation.

And, many people want a 1BR, not a studio, so if the OP wants a 1BR that will be significantly more expensive, for a real 1BR, not a junior. Remember, NYC is an entity unto itself when it comes to housing availability, prices, and controls.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingNurse View Post
Just a message for those of you who are looking for something to rent in Manhattan, I have been looking over apt listings at or below the $2000 area and there are plenty in Chelsea, Midtown, Gramercy Park, etc. They are studio or 1 bed room and they are by no means "dumps" either. I keep seeing posts that Manhattan apts start at 3-4K/mo. This is not the case.
They are fake ads and bait and switch ads. NYC is a whoollllee different animal when it comes to real estate scams.

You're not getting something for under $2k in Gramercy, anywhere in the Village, Chelsea.

I rented a TINY studio in 2000 in Gramercy for $2200... and I paid almost $4k in broker fees to get it!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:12 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
You make a good point. But I was responding to the text you quoted as evidence against the OP saying they've seen ads for apartments that are not "dumps" and around $2000. The quote nor the article really say anything of that sort. It actually supports what the OP mentioned of apartments "at or below $2000" for a "one bedroom or studio".
No, because in NYC, the average price is going to include the crazy low rent stabilized places people have been in for years and are paying $600/mo on. This greatly skews the data.

You're not getting an apartment short of a miracle in the Village for $2k. Why do people who don't live in NY think we're lying?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 AM

195 posts, read 741,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
seconded. you could try to get a job @ st vinnies. good luck finding something there for $2000. i wonder if they still have staff housing. i don't think so though....
I was responding to the comment posted by the OP! Getting an apartment in a good area for $2K in Manhattan? I don't think so...
Furthermore, I don't like St. Vincent Medical Center that much! I am an ICU nurse and I just like the action in the city owned hospitals such as Bellevue or Jacobi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City