Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:32 AM

48 posts, read 461,702 times

Advertisements

Black Incomes Surpass Whites in Queens
Suzanne DeChillo/The New York Times

The Cambria Heights neighborhood in Queens, a county that belies the “stereotype of blacks living in dangerous, concentrated, poor, slum, urban neighborhoods,” one policy expert says.

Article Tools Sponsored By
By SAM ROBERTS
Published: October 1, 2006

Across the country, the income gap between blacks and whites remains wide, and nowhere more so than in Manhattan. But just a river away, a very different story is unfolding.
Skip to next paragraph
Multimedia
Racial Income GapGraphic
Racial Income Gap
Suzanne DeChillo/The New York Times

Kenneth C. Holder, elected to a judgeship last year, says he could move from Queens, “but why?”
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:53 AM..

Old 12-28-2006, 08:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,999,057 times
Time for affirmative action to kick in for us poor working class Italians in the 5 boroughs. Now that we are the bottom half we need some handouts to equalize the economic disparity.

Lived here most of my life and it is a fight everyday to set it down. We are alive and have each other and the good lord looks after us and our family. The family roots are 110 years deep in Bushwick Brooklyn. We stayed there until the 1977 blackout/riots when our diverse neighbors burned down our family auto garage/building which has been ours since the 1920's. Like many immigrants we came here looking for a better life. We lost many material possessions in the blazing inferno. Most of the rioters were new to the area, recent transplants from the American South and Caribbean. There are no official honors for us, no museum for our burnt ordeal, no history month and the incident has been covered up, but what happened is strong in our memory. What we still have is our memories of what we built and how it was destroyed. The fire still burns in our heart, it will not be forgotten.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:10 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,374,446 times
Yeah this is an old article, but it begs the question of why affirmative action should be continued?

If Blacks earn more than whites, why should they be given special treatment over white people? Hand outs and quotas for college/grad school should come to an end, and the sooner the better. Why should I have to pay for black people to be on welfare and in public housing when all they do is hang out, blast tunes from their cellphones on the subway, talk on those stupid 2 way walkie-talkie cell phones, and act like thugs?

A lot of interesting stuff is coming down the pipes from the Supreme Court this year concerning affirmative action. They will probably correct some of the wrongs that have been created in the name of "diversity" over the past 40 years.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:58 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,503,306 times
Paula Zahn on CNN has been devoting her show to racism and intolerance. It is on weeknights at 8 pm. I recommend this show.

We're pretty much all racist in this country. It is almost impossible to grow up in this country unaffected by it. Lots of people (of all races) deny their racism, either because they are defensive about it, or because they are genuinely unaware of their racism.

Most racism now is latent racism.

It needs to be brought out onto the table and discussed openly and honestly. That's the only way it can be addressed.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:18 PM

Meh, I'm both one of the few white people and english speakers in my neighborhood. I get hell for it all the time. When will that be discussed? Or can racism only happen to minorities?

Old 12-29-2006, 06:07 PM

It seems that you guys are completly confused. What you missed in the article is that Blacks are still subjected to discrimination by real estate agents. A White family in this country can call any real estate agency in this country, and they will be giving the best posible service, A Black family on the other hand wil most likely get steered into deterionating neighbohoods, even if the have the assets and money to pay for better homes. For all you people who think affirmative action should end, attached is an article. I wonder if you would call for putting teeth into the anti-discrimination laws that real estate agents violate on a regular basis, like making real estate steerin, blockbusting and racial steerin a felony. If that happens, then yeah maybe we should take a second look at affirmative action.

Fair Housing Study Blasts Realty Agents for Alleged "Steering" and Racial Discrimination
by Kenneth R. Harney

In a scathing report, the National Fair Housing Alliance last week claimed that racially-motivated steering and unequal treatment of African-American and Latino home seekers are commonplace practices by some realty agents.
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-29-2006, 07:24 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,909 times
So much for Affirmative Action. It doesn't work. Ppl will always be racist, doesn't matter if you're black, gay, or whatever. We are a flawed species, and until the earth recycles us and something more improved or superior takes are place, we have no other choice, but do the best we can. So don't hold your breath, Brother

Old 12-29-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
So much for Affirmative Action. It doesn't work. Ppl will always be racist, doesn't matter if you're black, gay, or whatever. We are a flawed species, and until the earth recycles us and something more improved or superior takes are place, we have no other choice, but do the best we can. So don't hold your breath, Brother
Affirmative Action does work, for whites, just look at our president. He got extra points for admission into Yale, because his daddy went there. To get rid of Affirmative Action is to get rid of white skin priviledge.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:26 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer View Post
Affirmative Action does work, for whites, just look at our president. He got extra points for admission into Yale, because his daddy went there. To get rid of Affirmative Action is to get rid of white skin priviledge.
You missed the big picture. Reread my post.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:57 PM

Yeah that can happen as soon as they get rid of affirmative action for brown skin priveledge. For example a lot of the people I went to undergrad with got into better grad schools than me with lower grades and test scores as a result of them being a minority. Perhaps if I had checked the "African-American," or "Hispanic," box I would have gotten into those school. I fail to see the logic in this system.

F' Affirmative action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: