Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
Oh, you're a man, what do you know? When a baby needs to eat, A BABY NEEDS TO EAT. Women can breastfeed so discretely, that NO ONE would even know they were doing it. It's not a big deal.
This is true. I have been around enough sisters-in-law and friends and never even knew exactly what was going on, since they were discreet. It's not the peep show that many think it will be, that's for sure. And, I don't exactly know how it could make someone sick, since it's the same food they would get from a bottle if they pump. But, some babies won't take the bottle at all, especially from their mother, which was the case with one child in the family, but from her father or any other male, even grandmothers, no problem, just not for her mother; so, breast feeding was the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 07:33 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,569,639 times
[quote=bmwguydc;6301388] It's not the peep show that many think it will be, that's for sure./QUOTE]

You are right on the money about that. The references earlier to a possible peep show were most likely said in jest by any errant poster.

I do know that in many societies in the world - Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America, public breastfeeding is not an issue. However, I guess because here in America in the 21st century it is no longer a norm in most jurisdictions, there is the issue of cultural sensitivity,

It is certanly not an issue of voyeuristic staring by an odd motley of carnivorous men. If it were the latter, then there is a distinct possibility that staring at a woman's breasts while she performs an act of love and nutrition (and coincidentally a recommended excellent medium for a mother to bond with her infant)would be the least of the severe psychological issues facing those men.

P.S. Hopefully jax is not around as I'm scared of her.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,069 times
[quote=Miles;6301555]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
It's not the peep show that many think it will be, that's for sure./QUOTE]

You are right on the money about that. The references earlier to a possible peep show were most likely said in jest by any errant poster.

I do know that in many societies in the world - Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America, public breastfeeding is not an issue. However, I guess because here in America in the 21st century it is no longer a norm in most jurisdictions, there is the issue of cultural sensitivity,

It is certanly not an issue of voyeuristic staring by an odd motley of carnivorous men. If it were the latter, then there is a distinct possibility that staring at a woman's breasts while she performs an act of love and nutrition (and coincidentally a recommended excellent medium for a mother to bond with her infant)would be the least of the severe psychological issues facing those men.

P.S. Hopefully jax is not around as I'm scared of her.
hahah you should be scared of me.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,995,938 times
I am appalled to read the comments of some posters, men and women, regarding this issue.

In South America, Central America, and Spain breastfeeding a baby in public is NOT an issue that needs the mother to hide her bossoms and cover up in order to stop voyeurs from watching. It just does not happen. Women feel completely free to breastfeed their babies in public transportation, if needed, and people go about their business, paying no attention to it.

A woman can bare as much as she wants of her breasts, or as little, and nobody seems to get offended or stares. It is something that is publicly -accepted.

So why in the USA is such an issue? Why is it that this mere act is so sexualized? Could it be because most American males are highly-obssesed with womens' breasts? Well, then, if most women start breastfeeding in public the enigma of females breasts for males will end, and it will be accepted, and teenagers will not have to succumb to the need of asking parents for implants as graduation gifts. We need to change society's perception and attitude toward female breasts.

In Spanish-speaking countries men are not obssesed with womens' breasts.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,517 times
I strongly agree with this new law. Yay to womens rights!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:38 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
then women should be allowed to walk around topless
They already can.

Unfortunately, most women don't exercise this right.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 PM

824 posts, read 2,790,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Is there simply no end to America-bashing? As if there is no such thing as machismo in Spanish-speaking countries!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
the enigma of females breasts for males will end
My dear Rubies, I do like u a lot but i pray that your prediction never comes to pass.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
my dear rubies, as much as i love the spanish language, how then can i ever visit a spanish speaking country. will i have to be always looking down at a woman's feet as she passes by? i do love all that a woman possesses, rubies - her brain, her inner qualities...and her lovely, God-given physical attributes: head to toe. On that sweet thought i bid u goodnight.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:49 PM

726 posts, read 2,268,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Even though women are allowed, I still wouldn't do it in public. I wouldn't want strangers seeing um, that lol. I would wait until I'm home to do something like that.
Me too. I still wouldn't do it in public.
But I think its good, that they can openly breast-feed in public. Babies go crazy sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: