Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 AM

43 posts, read 167,080 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our 1 year old are visiting friends in ny, staying at their apt. in the west village and flying into LaGaurdia. We've been to NY before several times, but never with a baby.

My main question - we won't have a carseat for the baby, and I'm uncomfortable riding in a cab without one. I figured there'd be a subway from the airport, but no such luck. We'll have some luggage (1 or 2 rolling suitcases, a small, easily folded and carried stroller and a carryon backpack) so the bus doesn't make sense. My ideas:

-suck it up and take a cab, with my son in carrier/sling
-take a cab to the nearest subway stop (what is that, and is it safe area in the AM, like 10-11AM)
-check a carseat and try to install it in a cab, which I hear cabbies don't like and don't usually have seatbelts anyway...

Other ideas are welcome!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 06:52 AM

425 posts, read 1,092,977 times
My advice is to stay away from the subway and get a car service or a cab.

I wouldn't take a 1 year old into the filthy subway anyway. Plus, you'd most likely have to change trains at least once, probably twice, and do you really want to be struggling with luggage and the baby in a subway? No No NO!

If I were in your shoes, I would arrange for a car service. You'll be fine holding the baby, and you'll be in the back of a Lincoln Town Car, so you'll be safe. It will cost you about the same as a cab to the West Village anyway. I use Elite for business, and they're very good. Elite Limousine Plus or 800-472-1123. I have a corp acct, so you may need to set something up in advance as an individual.

Have fun on your visit!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:55 AM

551 posts, read 1,575,337 times
Cabs do have seatbelts, and in most instances are actually quite clean.

However, given your circumstances, a car service may be the right decision, and they are not significantly more money. There are car services that cater to parents with kids, and many will provide a car seat if you book in advance (at an added cost). Just ask them. You can try Kid Car New York - Safe, Comfortable, & Convenient Transport for Children & Parents

Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I agree with the car service idea, especially since some will install a car seat for you prior to your arrival. They are required by law, however, as are taxis to allow you to provide your own child-safety seat and to allow you to install it into the vehicle, but it can be a hassle to travel with a full child seat.

Another option is a kid-friendly van service, such as Kid Car NY. They have a flat rate to/from the airport for non-members: https://www.kidcarny.com/rates.html All of their vehicles are equipped with the proper type/size child seat and are professionally installed for peace of mind. It's a little more expensive than a traditional car service, but the personnel they hire are also screened and I have heard nothing but good things about their service from those I know who have used it.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
If you go for the subway option, take that cab from the airport to the Ditmars Boulevard station. That's the terminal for the N and W lines. Perfectly safe area, by the way. Either of those trains will take you to the Village area, although if you take the N, it runs as an express in Manhattan--you'd have to transfer to a local train (R or W) at 14 Street/Union Square. The next local stop below that is 8 Street, right in the heart of the Village, at the NYU campus.

Total time for your ride from Ditmars to 8 Street, on the W local, will be just about half an hour. Stand clear of the closing doors, please!

Old 11-26-2008, 04:04 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
It might be depressing carrying a baby and luggage up those flights of stairs for the N or W though. Just take a cab, traffic moves slow in New York anyway.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:16 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times
I've taken the bus from 125th street in manhattan LaGuardia. I did it 4 times and its worked out everytime. Pretty fast too. That would have cost me about $160 if i took a taxi each way. It ended up costing me $8 bucks and it was more environmentally sound.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:07 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
I believe there's a bus at 106th & Broadway that goes straight to LaGuardia, so maybe there are others that go further downtown. But all that sounds like a huge headache for a vacation, so if the funds allow then a car service with pre-arranged car seat sounds like the best way to go. You're supposed to be having fun, not hasseling! Plenty of time to try our trains and buses (which the baby will enjoy) once you drop off all that luggage and get yourself settled. Hope you have a nice time here.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:11 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I believe there's a bus at 106th & Broadway that goes straight to LaGuardia
That's the M60, but it doesn't go below 106th. From there, you'd have to transfer to the #1 train--which will certainly take you to the West Village, as it stops at Christopher Street.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:01 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
We used to live on 10th and Hudson in West Village, I have a 1 year old now. Trust me and the others speaking the truth: Get the car service or taxi.

In (2006), nearly 90% of medallion cabs in NYC had LATCH and if the driver is nice they will wait a few mins for you to get it installed.

Last edited by Mach50; 11-27-2008 at 11:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City