Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I'd like to think such a scenario would effectivley force the powers that be within NYCT and the City to clean up their act and operate a far less wasteful and corrupt operation. As Fred said, muncipial corruption and waste in NY runs deep and only when it becomes a crisis of survival (1975 near bankruptcy) does genuine progress proceed in pairing it back.

My absolute dream situation. Unfortunately for the MTA to be fixed, we will have to accept the situation of transit revolution, a period of an unknown time where none will exist- the city seems to believe that would be it's own undoing, and the Gov and Mayor have worked very hard to placate both the MTA and TWU in the past in the event this became an issue.

I don't feel the system will ever fix itself, however my thoughts are not that the Subway system is by any means lacking. A cleaner image would be -really nice- and probably not ridiculously costly. My issue is that at the heart of it, the MTA controls both the public transit and private bridges.

If a subway ride cost $5 each way, and no unlimited was available, and a Bridge Crossing was only $2.25 you'd be disheartened too.
... and in reality, that's still undercutting how much MTA would need to break even on NYCT, and would still create a surplus with Bridges and Tunnels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Second, we've got the only system in the world with four-track layouts. Translation: it's possible to run northbound and southbound locals and expresses, simultaneously. Why none of the other 150+ cities ever built systems with express and local tracks is a mystery, but c'est la vie.
It isn't actually necessary to have four tracks to run expresses.

For instance the Tokyo Fukutoshin line runs expresses by using passing tracks in stations; this requires some precision in scheduling of course, but works quite well.

[There are above-ground lines in Tokyo which are quadruple-tracked (though I'd say using passing tracks instead is more common), but of course it's much more expensive to do that underground.]

Old 01-17-2013, 09:05 PM

21 posts, read 90,928 times
We should privatize the MTA into several different companies (with companies running different lines competing each other). the fare will skyrocket but if that means a safer, cleaner, and more on time performance im all for it.
Other ways that could raise money include:
shut down the subway from 1am-5am for repair work. run some overnight-only cross borough bus instead
use a zonal system
charge people for a new metrocard.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM

402 posts, read 811,246 times
One thing I have noticed is general etiquette and common courtesy is hard to find on Subways. I was riding the subway from NE Bronx to Manhattan, an old lady 80+ walked onto the car, standing room only I was on the other side of the car, not one person gave up their sear until she came over towards my direction, I let her have my seat, and didnt evenget a thank you, or a nod or anything, also we were the two only white persons both very irish looking on the car, so I defenetily expected a thank you at the least. This is why I prefer upstate in the metro to the city. People hold doors, say hello to strangers walking down the street, etc. Stuff you do not find much in the city.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 AM

650 posts, read 701,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Even in the worst part of a third world city like San Paula Brazil this type of service and facility will not be acceptable. Walking inside a New York Subway station is similar to walking to a tunnel into a prison. Dilapidated walls, black gum on the ground, unhearable voices in the speakers, water dripping. When I walk the stairs to take the uptown 6 train, it smells like human feces have spoiled over one century. The trains pass like there's an earthquake, standing inside the subway station for too long will reduce your lifespan for sure. Every weekend, every train is re-route, ridiculous.

This is a environmental hazard place, should be shutdown by in inspectors.

Why does New York City have such disrepaired subway system? Don't tell me it is because it is old. London and Tokyo's system are only slighly younger, but in much much better and modern condition. Where did the money for the subway being used on? To put more smell into the platforms?

Do not understand, totally do not understand. Please give me an explanation.

I have an explanation, but I am afraid I am not allowed to say it here.
We have a mayor who doesn't give a s-it about people.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 AM

650 posts, read 701,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
I prefer a bit of grit in my subway. the subway is awesome.
You can have it

BARF

Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Anyone notice any differences since Fastrack has been in effect? Fastrack has the potential to dramatically improve the subway system.

The subway system, has definitely improved versus it's low points but I have my gripes:

-Slowest average speeds in the USA. A lot of those speed regulators need another survey.
-WTF was the MTA waiting for in terms of possible stormwater damage.
-City needs quite a bit of new lines. I support els in certain areas, too bad the MTA doesn't feel the same, right now anyway.
-Second Ave Subway construction is crawling...it's critical.
-I am no MTA engineer, but the different sized cars seem silly. I believe it has to do with the size of the tunnels but man oh man do I wish the tunnels and equipment were standardized across the system.
-Wrap the cars and stations in ads if it brings revenue. If you don't like it, look away.

Otherwise I love the coverage, the 24/7 accessibility (way cheaper then a cab, it adds up/also think of people with irregular hours), and the usual characters you find on the day to day.

People need to remember, you only spend so long in a station, the actual cars are fine (well those pushed out in the last decade).

Old 01-18-2013, 05:24 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Considering that the NYC is one of older systems in the world (London is the oldest) and it runs 24/7 over an extensive area, it works pretty well.

As for the different size of the train cars, the original system was built by 3 competing companies which choose different size tracks/subway cars.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 AM

594 posts, read 1,633,812 times
Everybody, everywhere in the world thinks their public transportation is the worst in the world. In Santiago, Chlie the Transantiago bus system can get you from one end of the city to the other in no more than an hour and for a little more than a dollar. Plus, your return trip is free and you can also transfer to any other subway or bus line free.

Yet the people complain about it and say it's the worst in the world and "My cousin went to NY last year and NYC's public transit is so much better and why can't we be like them..."

Public transit is one of those "grass is always greener" things. When I was in Boston stuck on that overcrowded B trolley for hours every night going out to Allston I would have given anything to be on the NY subway. Then when you're in New York, you're thinking the Boston system is so much better.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM
WJZ

17 posts, read 27,732 times
Wait until Lahota is elected mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City