Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 03:54 PM

27 posts, read 102,291 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in San Francisco, and honestly I like it out here for the most part. I was born here and have spent most of my life in the city, however things are changing around here for the worse I think.

To many wealthy stuck up suburbanites are coming out here in droves, with thier fake liberal politics and trendy clothes, and (sorry east coasters) but it seems all the douchebags from your neck of the woods wind up here also. This is all culminating in driving out many minorities and making San francisco into kind of a goofy trendy rich douchebag playpen. Given that the current state of things continues.

So my point is Im looking to perhaps within the next 5 years or so (Im still relativley young) looking to go to New York City. Now I know NY probably has more douchebags and trendy fake *******s than SF but then again they have more of everything, SF is small in comparison by population and land area so theres nowhere to hide from all this you see, in NY perhaps there are many areas left with just regular average joes which is what i am most comfortable with.

Anyway I've been looking a bit into the Flushing area of Queens, I hear they have the largest Asian population in NY so being from SF it seems like I would be comfortable there. Does anyone have anymore info on that area like, hows the crime? is it a high income area or is it more working class(is it affordable)? is there a high amount of diversity besides asians? How long is the subway ride to manhattan? and finally is it undergoing any kind of gentrification? or is any kind of "hip" scene centered there?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,912 times
Relatively low crime area. Car theft and burglary are higher than in the 'burbs but that's a given for any neighborhood in city limits. There are blocks with very high concentrations of Asians, especially close to the Main street subway station, but in most of Flushing's zip codes the Asian population hovers around 55%. someone is bound to point out the area around Linden Place is crappier than the rest of town but it's an industrial area with projects so unless you work there or are playing pool you don't really have any reason to be there, haha. Flushing is enormous, by the way, it has a lot of sub-sections like Auburndale, Queensboro Hill and Kew Garden Hills.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:36 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,912 times
By the way, you have no worries of gentrification or any "hipness." The vast majority of Flushing is in a "two fare zone", which is kryptonite to hipsters.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:50 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
By the way, you have no worries of gentrification or any "hipness." The vast majority of Flushing is in a "two fare zone", which is kryptonite to hipsters.
nice way of putting it!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:50 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,432 times
I like Flushing (born there!). It's fairly affordable, pretty safe, and has seen little to no gentrification in that it hasn't changed much over the last decade or so.

It is kinda far from Manhattan, but it does have the 7 train, the LIRR and a lot of buses. Some parts are very residential and others are more urban, because as Andysocks said, it's very large.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
But................how are the douchebags????

Old 11-27-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
But................how are the douchebags????
Last I heard they all moved to.........San Francisco.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:05 PM

18 posts, read 98,522 times
"Juanito" ... do us a favor and stay in SF. That 'douchey' finger you're pointing at everyone is pointing back at you four-fold*.

*if you include the thumb.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:11 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
LOL @ Miles! Tell us what you REALLY think???? All in jest, darlin!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
LOL @ Miles! Tell us what you REALLY think???? All in jest, darlin!
You're good to go, Katsmeeyow, honey...just too much Thanksgiving wine. I guess I'm imagining things, baby. Georgia is great but been hearing things of San Fran!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: