Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 PM

55 posts, read 393,298 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing ad's for home prices in these area to be low compared to homes in the other boroughs. Where are they located in Queens. How far are they from Manhattan and what trains are nearby? Is it close to JFK and Laguadia? I know too many questions at once. I am considering a move to queens and need an area easily accessible to the airports as I will be traveling extensively. Also are there good family neighborhoods in these areas. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 03:55 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,429 times
I have a good friend that grew up in St. Albans and still lives there. It is a middle class African- American neighborhood. Hard working people with tight families. I think the train access is very limited and may need to take a bus to the train.
it is very close to JFK and not too far from LaGuardia.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:01 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
it is very close to JFK and not too far from LaGuardia.
St. Albans is actually a fair distance from La Guardia. MUCH nearer JFK.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:14 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
St. Albans is actually a fair distance from La Guardia. MUCH nearer JFK.
I thought that laGuardia was pretty close cause I once took a cab from JFK to LaGuardia in about 15 minutes.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:53 AM

536 posts, read 2,348,796 times
^^ Queens is not terribly big geographically (none of the boroughs are), you can probably get from Rosedale to Astoria in fifteen minutes in the middle of the night. It's the traffic that kills you. Anyway, st Alban's is definitely eastern Queens and JFK territory, fairly suburban and middle class. You still got knuckleheads that grow up there that act all hood 'n **** even though their dad is a dentist or whatever, so the zoned schools have mediocre reputations and thus the real estate goes down.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
I posted this on another thread,

After suggesting to a poster looking for a neighborhood with good schools in Queens for $400K or less (they had originally looked in LI but high taxes changed their mind), I suggested that they reconsider the house purchase and get an apartment in District 26 (Bayside, Fresh Meadows, Bellerose, Eastern Flushing, Holliswood/Hollis Hills, etc.).

I have always been a proponent of home ownership so I was torn between the advice I gave and directing them to Cambria Heights or Laurelton in SE Queens because 1) "Good schools" is a relative term; and 2) I presumed they weren't Black/African American/Caribbean and wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood where they were the minority. I've rethought my original response and offer the following as food for thought ...

People of all races are diversifying some of the WORST neighborhoods in NYC. However, Laurelton and Cambria Heights (and similar parts of SE Queens) rarely get a nod, and are often described as war zone-like based on their racial compositions. Sadly, I find that people are only seeing the worst of Black/AA/Caribbean people instead of the best.

Truth is that you can get a well-maintained house with a front and backyard, and decent schools (check out greatschools.net for PS 176 in PS/IS 270, ranked 5 & 7 respectively) in Cambria Heights or Laurelton for <400K. From an income perspective, they are on par with or have higher AGI than many of the neighborhoods that have gentrified. They were once the "dream neighborhoods" of a diverse group of middle class people but are now rarely considered by those who aren't black.

NOTE: I grew up in Laurelton (1968-1980). My parents moved to Florida around 2000 so I've seen the good, bad and ugly of SE Queens and believe it's on an upswing. If you're middle class, looking for a nice house to raise a young family and don't mind living on the city's edge, give these neighborhoods a chance. There are some nice pics of Laurelton in the NYT article. Enjoy

Learn more:
Cambria Heights - Cambria Heights, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Laurelton - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/re...te/26livi.html
Laurelton, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-06-2009, 01:08 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Laurelton/St. Albans pro
1. Inexpensive good supply of one-family houses
2. Close to Airport (JFK)
3. LIRR stop at Laurelton
4. Jamaica Station major transit hub in SE Queens

Laurelton/St. Albans con
1. Big foreclosure problem in SE Queens
2. Need car more than many other city neighborhoods
3. Need bus to train for work commute
4. For trip to LGA, Van Wyck traffic always heavy!

Old 12-06-2009, 01:13 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
They're nice neighborhoods, both are in Southeast Queens close to the Nassau County (Long Island) border, they're close to JFK (Laurelton is closer).

Both neighborhoods are served by the Long Island Railroad, there are city buses that go to the E, J, & Z trains (not far from the F train too). In my experience the Long Island Railroad is far faster than the"bus + subway" combo, it takes about 30 minutes to get to Penn Station (Manhattan) whereas the bus + subway is about 3-4 times longer.

I live in Southeast Queens and personally I prefer Laurelton over St. Albans but both are nice.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:45 PM

23 posts, read 100,912 times
Laurelton- Quieter than St Albans, slightly better Quality of life, long island style nabe without the $9-10k in property taxes
To queensgrl- have u ever considered Queens Village- Zip Code 11428?

Last edited by QNZ20; 12-15-2009 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City