Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 04:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I'm assuming though that someone of moderate means wanting to move to Jackson Heights would be looking at the historic district. It's (historic district) is a fairly large area and depending on where you live there, it can be quite far for a daily rush hour walk to the E/F station in 74th. Your train would be the 7, which is packed in the morning and prone to delays. Even the buses to the E/F can get full.Woodside LIRR is likewise far to walk to everyday. I would recommend buying/leasing a small car like a Golf and making a short drive down Junction Blvd. to catch the express near the Queens Mall for a comfortable commute to Manhattan.
The thing is, you don't know where someone would want to move. Jackson Heights is not that big a neighborhood, and it is all walkable to the E and F station at Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Avenue. Even if someone lived right next to 90th street on the Flushing Line (and that's the Northern edge of Jackson Heights, you take the 7 train a couple of stops and you transfer to the E and F.

Also, whoever would move there would have to look at the neighborhood himself or herself and figure on what they like and don't like. But my point is outright spreading false information about a neighborhood is just plain lame. I lived in Jackson Heights for many years and always used the E and F at Jackson Heights, Roosevelt Avenue. When I worked on Suffolk County, I walked from 72nd Street in Jackson Heights to 61st in Woodside, and I caught the LIRR. I did that every day, 5 days a week, for many months, and no, it was not too far for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
/\/\

"Not that big a neighborhood" (the historical district alone is 60+ blocks in area) and "not too far for me" are purely subjective and calling dissenting opinion lame demonstrates the inability to argue effectively.

I've walked or bused from the school at 79th & Northern to the subway in 82nd & Roosevelt for 5 years so I know what I'm talking about. If it wasn't too far for some people, the Q32 and Q33 to the Roosevelt station wouldn't be packed with residents in the morning rush hour, right? You wouldn't be seeing long lines at the 34th and 35th if everyone thought "it wasn't too far". Everyone would just be walking to 74th and not taking the bus. And WALKING from 34th & 90th St. to Woodside LIRR? Sure, you can do it but there are many places in FH and Kew Gardens that are less than half a mile away from the LIRR. Saying that there are people who find it too far to walk to the subway/LIRR is not spreading false information. Maybe there is something about it that makes you feel uncomfortable.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
This thread is over 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

"Not that big a neighborhood" (the historical district alone is 60+ blocks in area) and "not too far for me" are purely subjective and calling dissenting opinion lame demonstrates the inability to argue effectively.

I've walked or bused from the school at 79th & Northern to the subway in 82nd & Roosevelt for 5 years so I know what I'm talking about. If it wasn't too far for some people, the Q32 and Q33 to the Roosevelt station wouldn't be packed with residents in the morning rush hour, right? You wouldn't be seeing long lines at the 34th and 35th if everyone thought "it wasn't too far". Everyone would just be walking to 74th and not taking the bus. And WALKING from 34th & 90th St. to Woodside LIRR? Sure, you can do it but there are many places in FH and Kew Gardens that are less than half a mile away from the LIRR. Saying that there are people who find it too far to walk to the subway/LIRR is not spreading false information. Maybe there is something about it that makes you feel uncomfortable.
Well, we do have a weight problem in the US. No wonder why there are so many fat and out of shape people, if you can't walk from 79th and Northern to 82nd and Roosevelt, that is absolutely pathetic. With that said, depending on where you live in Forest Hills you may have to walk distances like that as well. That's true of any neighborhood in NYC, plus it also depends on what other locations someone has to in the city as far as work, social life, shopping, etc.

But for the record, opinions aside, fact, Jackson Heights is served by the E and F trains. Fact, Woodside is not that far away, and it is totally walkable to go to the LIRR train station there every day.

Its for the OP to find out what he likes and doesn't like in either neighborhood. I would just say go to either neighborhood, check out the apartments, and everything else you care about in either neighborhood, and then make your choice, because it is you who will be living there and getting the apartment.

But to blatantly pretend that Jackson Heights isn't served by the E and F, when it is, just because you'd like to promote Forest Hills is plain silly. As for the walking, I don't know if the OP likes to walk or not. Which is why he can visit the neighborhoods himself and say which one suits him the best in all manners. But an 11 block walk to the LIRR from 72nd Street to Woodside for the LIRR wasn't too much for me. And when I lived on 72nd Street and 37th Avenue, I had to walk just two blocks over to the E and F express trains to Manhattan. Yes, Jackson Heights includes areas in the 70s as well.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, we do have a weight problem in the US. No wonder why there are so many fat and out of shape people, if you can't walk from 79th and Northern to 82nd and Roosevelt, that is absolutely pathetic. With that said, depending on where you live in Forest Hills you may have to walk distances like that as well. That's true of any neighborhood in NYC, plus it also depends on what other locations someone has to in the city as far as work, social life, shopping, etc.

But for the record, opinions aside, fact, Jackson Heights is served by the E and F trains.
Fact, the Q32 and Q33s get packed in the morning rush hour. This is not false info. Let's not omit this important detail just for the convenience of an anonymous poster.

Quote:
. Fact, Woodside is not that far away, and it is totally walkable to go to the LIRR train station there every day.
These are opinions, not facts. Are you really a writer?

Quote:
But to blatantly pretend that Jackson Heights isn't served by the E and F,
Fact, I made no such statement. Can you prove this? You do understand logic 101 that it's one thing to say something is inconvenient to some people versus something does not exist, right?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 AM

466 posts, read 901,632 times
I live right by Travers Park in JH, so commuting to Manhattan is very easy for me. It's just a 3 block walk to the 74th/Roosevelt station. While my building is just outside the official historic district, it is a very well-maintained building and I like all of my neighbors. I have a large one bedroom, probably about 900 sq ft, and it's 1750/mo.

My fiancee and I are in our late 20s and we both love it here. We like the diversity of the neighborhood, the relative quiet, and the ease of commuting to Manhattan. I highly recommend this neighborhood, though I do suggest trying to live as close to 74th/Roosevelt as possible if you will be going to Manhattan during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: