Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I just returned from a trip out west to visit friends. On the way back, I stopped at another friend's house in Iowa. I was once again confronted with the fact that I live in a 300k box while for the same money they have a nice piece of property, beautiful deck, large garage, plenty of parking, and extra bedrooms for guests. One day... one day...
You can do that in Upstate NY and take trips to some of the best cities in the US and Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 PM

126 posts, read 133,444 times
Quote:
Iowa is not the middle of nowhere though, that's my point. Obviously parts of the state are, but parts of NY are far more rural than plenty of Iowa. Des Moines is a modern American city just as much as NYC. Iowa State university has been an education powerhouse since early in the 20th century; they played a large part in the nuclear program.

Des Moines may be smaller and not public transportation oriented like NYC, but very few cities in the world are as large as NYC or have as extensive a PT system. Other than those two facts, most cities are the same in more ways than NY lovers will admit.
its small tho and doesnt have much going on and u can still do that in a lot of other places while still close to major cities so unless ur really fond of those typa places, they mite become boring or depressing after a while, but its a personal thing like i said, if u feel happy there then go for it
i hate public transportation and for me thats not even a criteria for a good city, none of the american cities have a great pt system anyway comparing to other countries
im most likely gon move to chicago or philly depending where i find a good job, cant beat those cities for bang for the $: cheaper COL, less people, less stress and still great amenities

Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Other than those two facts, most cities are the same in more ways than NY lovers will admit.
Don't kid yourself. No one is knocking down other fine cities, but I find NY like no other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
NYC is not the best place to raise a family with kids while earning a paycheck.
I earn a paycheck. One daughter 15 years old, other one 6 year olds. Both born and raised in the City. Both go to public schools. I tried, but for us, city was the best place to raise them, we concluded.

We also have weekend house in CT, 3 miles from the beach. I have to basically bribe my teenager to come there. She even has friends there too, but she would rather hang out with her friends in Manhattan or Brooklyn. She uses the subway on her own, spends her weekends at coffee shops Soho, Tribeca, or Upper East Side. Lunch in Chinatown or Little Italy or Dumbo, movies midtown or uptown. Takes walks on Central Park, or hangs out with her friends at the Met when the weather is bad. She is trying to get into a Columbia University class for high-schoolers, also intern at Mt Sinai Hospital. All on her own, and has been doing that since 12 or 13 when she started the Lab School (West 17th Street). All of her friends do the same thing, and some more.

Try equal that elsewhere. We tried, but couldn't. It's no wonder number of families with kids in NYC has exploded in the last 10-15 years.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I earn a paycheck. One daughter 15 years old, other one 6 year olds. Both born and raised in the City. Both go to public schools. I tried, but for us, city was the best place to raise them, we concluded.

We also have weekend house in CT, 3 miles from the beach. I have to basically bribe my teenager to come there. She even has friends there too, but she would rather hang out with her friends in Manhattan or Brooklyn. She uses the subway on her own, spends her weekends at coffee shops Soho, Tribeca, or Upper East Side. Lunch in Chinatown or Little Italy or Dumbo, movies midtown or uptown. Takes walks on Central Park, or hangs out with her friends at the Met when the weather is bad. She is trying to get into a Columbia University class for high-schoolers, also intern at Mt Sinai Hospital. All on her own, and has been doing that since 12 or 13 when she started the Lab School (West 17th Street). All of her friends do the same thing, and some more.

Try equal that elsewhere. We tried, but couldn't. It's no wonder number of families with kids in NYC has exploded in the last 10-15 years.
Do you rent or own a <10-YO house with a yard as your primary residence and live w/in 40 minutes commute to work door to door?

I lived in Queens myself but used to rent for $2500 something far more modest and further away from work than what I could have gotten in Arlington or Alexandria. And you can get equally as great a cultural experience there, if not more, than what you can get in NYC. NYC is not the best in culture (faux Italian, mediocre Chinese), vibe and education. Why, even the Paris metro area has more to offer.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Do you rent or own a <10-YO house with a yard as your primary residence and live w/in 40 minutes commute to work door to door?

I lived in Queens myself but used to rent for $2500 something far more modest than what I could have gotten in Arlington.
I also lived in in Forest Hills (off of 71st and Union Tpke, where the horse stables used to be, by the pool, where Home Depot is now) long ago. I like Arlington. I also used to live 3 blocks from the Courthouse in a townhouse for a few weeks, years ago, and still go there. Arlington reminds me of the Upper West Side for some reason.

Now, I got no yard. 20 minute commute yes. What's your point?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Now, I got no yard. 20 minute commute yes. What's your point?
The point is there are better places than NYC to raise family when you look at it from a complete picture. And you ended your post by saying to try and equal that elsewhere, to which I say there are other places that are equal if not better. DC metro, Vancouver, Paris metro, Austin - all better than NYC in many respects plus more authentic culture.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
..in Arlington or Alexandria. And you can get equally as great a cultural experience there, if not more, than what you can get in NYC. NYC is not the best in culture (faux Italian, mediocre Chinese), vibe and education. Why, even the Paris metro area has more to offer.
Not too familiar with Paris, but I am very familiar with Italian and Chinese. It sounds like you have some sort of resentment, or some wires seem crossed.

Are you sure you are making comparisons between Arlington and New York?

Quote:
The point is there are better places than NYC to raise family when you look at it from a complete picture.
Complete picture? Go ahead, educate us...

Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Not too familiar with Paris, but I am very familiar with Italian and Chinese. It sounds like you have some sort of resentment, or some wires seem crossed.

Are you sure you are making comparisons between Arlington and New York?

Complete picture? Go ahead, educate us...
I didn't realize you would consider being objective "resentment". Is there something about my post that made you uncomfortable? Its truthfulness perhaps? What you consider to be Italian in Little Italy and Chinese in Chinatown (both of which you referenced) is not the best cuisine either can offer. Even the Chinese food is Paris far exceeds.

And yes, I am making comparisons between living in Arlington and Alexandria with New York City.

The complete picture is this - You don't have to settle for mediocre living arrangements or pay higher than average prices to enjoy everything else you posted. Get it?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 PM

33 posts, read 186,928 times
I grew up in Ny. So I have a love/hate relationship with the city. Though one thing I really hate is how absolutely crowded it can get especially Manhattan, though that can be a good thing, when your out trying to hit on women. But most of the time, I just stay in Brooklyn, because Manhattan is too crowded and materialistic, outside of upper manhattan (Harlem/wash hieghts), most of the people youll find in that borough are fake out-of-towners.
But if I ever was to leave NY, it would probably be to Philly, or somewhere else in Northeast
*close to NY
*similar weather
*similar lifestyle/feel/aura

Old 05-23-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize you would consider being objective "resentment". Is there something about my post that made you uncomfortable? Its truthfulness perhaps? What you consider to be Italian in Little Italy and Chinese in Chinatown (both of which you referenced) is not the best cuisine either can offer. Even the Chinese food is Paris far exceeds.

And yes, I am making comparisons between living in Arlington and Alexandria with New York City.

The complete picture is this - You don't have to settle for mediocre living arrangements or pay higher than average prices to enjoy everything else you posted. Get it?
You lived in a ****hole in Queens, and your experience has have been very different from mine. Yet you feel you have the monopoly on what's objective. Go at it. Nothing you said is objective. It's all subjective. Why? If for me Met Museum is the closest hang-out place, your was Sears at Queens Center Mall. Of course our outlook would be different.

I have lived in many cities, nationwide and abroad. I have also lived in the suburbs. In my opinion, which is very subjective NYC is the best place to raise a family.

And I wasn't aware that when you spoke about culture you really meant take-out food and pizza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City