Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:21 AM

79 posts, read 302,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Seriously rethink the Bay Area in terms of housing prices, as you will find comparatively expensive housing in California.
The price might be similar, but I'll get better places with the price and not somebody's basement or some decrepit studio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,332,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleChild View Post
The price might be similar, but I'll get better places with the price and not somebody's basement or some decrepit studio.
Not necessarily. The terms Bay Area and affordable housing do not go together. People commute long distances to find affordable housing that's spacious and decent. You can probably find a slightly better place for the same money than in NYC, but you're not going to be getting a 1BR in a good, convenient area of the Bay Area (especially SF and immediate environs) for the same price as a basement studio in the outer parts of Brooklyn or Queens.

Perhaps far out places like Dublin, Pleasanton, and Walnut Creek would have something like you're seeking. But, if NYC is expensive, SF is not that much less expensive, overall.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 AM

551 posts, read 1,572,430 times
I get very tired of people on this and other boards complaining about the "Disnification" of New York and longing for the "good old days" when most of you were not here in the "good old days" and, frankly, those days were not so good. While this was still a great place to live, NY could be a very scary place, even for the natives, in the 1970s and 1980s. Many of the parks we take for granted now were utterly unsafe. Union Square was a hell hole. Tompkins Square and Washington Square under siege by drug dealers. It may be hard to believe, but until the late 1970s, Bryant Park was one of the worst drug dens in the city.

Sure, I would like to jettison the Duane Reades and banks on every corner, and trade in some of the overpriced, indistiguishable bars and restaurants for a Rocky Sullivans or McHales, but change is one of the very reasons that make cities great. I suspect, if the current economic climate remains as bleak as some predict, some of the banks and chains will disappear, rents will normalize, and empty storefronts with cheaper rents will mean new business opportunities will be born for some enterprising transplants. Sometimes change is good, sometimes not so good, and sometimes it takes years to figure that out one way or the other.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,063,731 times
Quote:

3. The number of annoying people (the rude, the uneducated, the gangster wannabe's, and everyone in between)
There are people like that everywhere. Sometimes you may be the problem. Are you oversensitive?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:53 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,873,286 times
I do love NY - Came here 8 yrs ago and just loved everything about the city.....I know consider myself a full blown NY'er....

But as I'm starting to become increasing annoyed with:

-Crowds/Tourist
-The Corruption in the city government and state
-Insane Rents
-Infrastructure Falling apart (When it Rains its impossible to get anywhere)
-The City is just too Overcrowed now, approaching 10M in popluation and the Infrastructure just cannot support it.

Im originally from Pittsburgh, and left during the mid-90's.....Now I know Pittsburgh is not on the Tops of alot of people's lists, but I know as the city goes thru its 3rd revitalization since the steel collapse...I am inscreasingly wanting to return.

Its a city built on its neighborhoods, the Downtown and Oakland gives you enough hustle/bustle to Remind you of New York and then you actually have decent neighborhoods that take you away from NY....

Not to mention you can live in Downtown Pittsburgh for what it cost to live in Flatbush or ENY.

Also its just far enough away that I can still get back to NY when I need to.

Here are some pics:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lennyj17/Pittsburgh/78980579.jpg (broken link)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lennyj17/Pittsburgh/81171884.jpg (broken link)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lennyj17/Pittsburgh/81171891.jpg (broken link)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lennyj17/Pittsburgh/81171860.jpg (broken link)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lennyj17/Pittsburgh/78980565.jpg (broken link)

here's the southside my old stomping grounds:

Sorry to over burden with the Pics

Old 12-03-2008, 11:58 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,889,372 times
Quote:
I have been to both cities and I can see what you mean, but their negatives are to a lesser degree. Oh, and I forgot to add this to my list - New York has the highest income tax rate in the country (by far); and many other taxes that are unnecessarily high. Our city and state is freeloading off of us and always will be. I don't want to be part of that.

Plus, I like the weather in the Bay Area and Seattle better. I'm going into the software industry, so there are a lot more job opportunities (amazon, microsoft, yahoo, google, adobe, etc.)
I would love to move to the Bay Area, it's just so expensive, even with 2 teacher salaries

Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 PM

821 posts, read 1,036,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I would love to move to the Bay Area, it's just so expensive, even with 2 teacher salaries
I've been looking at Oakland's Lake Merit area, really nice and affordable. Plus there is a nice neighborhood near the beach in San Francisco called the Sunset District which is quite affordable.
They have a higher quality of life and salary there as well from the bottom to the top.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:32 PM

79 posts, read 302,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I've been looking at Oakland's Lake Merit area, really nice and affordable. Plus there is a nice neighborhood near the beach in San Francisco called the Sunset District which is quite affordable.
They have a higher quality of life and salary there as well from the bottom to the top.
I was thinking Sunnyvale or Palo Alto.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:52 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,486,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennly View Post
I miss the greenery in NY too. It is very hard to escape to nature without sitting in traffic for an hour or more. In San Francisco, a 30 minute drive north can put you at John Muir park and redwoods. In Manhattan, a 30 minute drive north barely gets you to White Plains.
Who cares? What could you possibly do in the middle of the woods? My idea of nature is a walk through a village park. It's nice, easy, and quick to get out of and do other things.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:00 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,730,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
I know a lot of people who happen to be born and raised in the City who don't seem to be particularly interested in the unique assets of New York... A coworker of mine who's lived in Queens all his life absolutely hates public transit and loves driving. He's also kind of a homebody who spends a lot of time playing video games and shopping on the Internet. If these are your interests, why not move to Boise, Idaho and live like a king? Booming job market, cheap cost of living, and you can find strip malls and Wal-Marts anywhere these days.

New York's not for everyone. I also think it's good for people to get out of their comfort zone.. if you've been in this area all your life it'd be a great experience to live elsewhere. I've traveled all over the country and lived throughout the Northeast and South. I would consider moving to a cheaper, slower city when I'm older, married and settled down. But right now in my life I wouldn't live anywhere but New York City.

If anything, sometimes I wish this city were even bigger, faster, and had even more going on.
I grew up in NYC and loved it. It took me years to get over it as nothing compares. However, now that I am older and have less energy, the city takes its toll on me if I'm out in it too long. I know people my age and older who have lived there all their lives - who would never leave, who take from it what they need and leave the rest - they have it on their own terms. Each makes it a point to get away from time to time; it's a must! My son lives there, loves it but says it can be a battle. I myself use city buses when I visit since I'm not on any timeline, and for me it makes a huge difference than tackling the subway - the crowds, the steps, the subway environment (yuck!). I do recommend that every thirties-something should live there at least five years for the experience. Once you've done N.Y. you are much wiser. Every day is a learning experience you would get no other place and it teaches you lifelong lessons which will come in handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City